Restricting calories, gaining weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    Firstly: GOOD ON YOU for acknowledging your struggles and opening up about it. That's a step. But like you are already aware - acknowledging it alone does not stop it.

You body needs a bare minimum to function - grow nails, strong bones, keep your skin fresh, your mind alert etc... If you "starve" it - it's going to KEEP EVERYTHING you put in your mouth. If you collect a penny a day - it all adds up right? My mother is overweight and she consumes less than 1000 calories a day. It's hard for her to eat more - but I'm managing and she's already started to lose weight and feel more alert, alert enough that to lose weight she doesn't have to starve she can work out instead!!! Working out = more muscles to burn calories passively. Thing is, if your body is starving it can't make those beautiful muscles.

Two ways you can lose weight:
    - Safely
    - Dangerously

Now eat your goal - eat back your exercise calories - HANG IN THERE, it takes a few weeks for your body to realize it's not starving and ramp up your metabolic rate (not overnight or in a few days, for someone like my mother it has taken months to reverse the years of damage). Your body isn't stupid - it will stay in "alert starvation mode" unless you PROVE with consistency that your not going to do that.

Best of luck and GJ with everything so far :) Feel free to add if you'd like some banter! :) (my best friend had anorexia and bulimia if you want the perspective of a non-judgmental best friend instead)
  • avhendrix
    avhendrix Posts: 3
    Options
    Just a note, what I said earlier has been reached with therapy and a dietitian who specializes in eating disorders. I saw both regularly in order to help regain knowledge in regards to what a healthy diet and lifestyle really was, and I may slip up now and then, everyone does, but I still have their professional help and guidance, and yes, it has made a world of difference! I should have mentioned this in my earlier post! They are tremendously important in recovery, and I agree it is impossible to recover all alone. And if you do seek help and don't like them, try someone different. My first therapist was incredibly annoying and just showered me in compliments, which was no help. But a different one was able to help me out of my ruts and think more clearly and see reality, which has been invaluable in my recovery!