How long after starting exercising did it take...

Options
...you to lose weight?

I started a couple of weeks ago, working out every day for up to 2 hours. I feel my muscles getting stronger, but the numbers on the scale and the inches remain the same , and even increased. I suspect this is because muscle weighs more than fat, but when can I expect the weight to start coming off? tell me theres a light at the end of this tunnel! xoxo

Replies

• lippy1727
    lippy1727 Posts: 53
    Options
    Im interested in seeing peoples responses to this as well, i started doing intense bootcamp sessions 3 weeks ago and yet to see a change although i feel so much better!!
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good for you on the bootcamp, Lippy! Thats Awesome!
    I feel great too, and I dont want to stop, but I just want to know that there is a point when we'll start losing weight again... my sense is that it will be about a month of consistent working out...
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    iris8pie - you would be right here in terms of muscle gain. Take measuements with a tape measure, rather than scales.
    Scales arent very accurate. Seeing the inches disappearing on the tape measure made me happier than the scales :)
  • lippy1727
    lippy1727 Posts: 53
    Options
    Its such hard work but i really enjoy it now :-) yeah i agree a month and i want to be seeing results!! Ive challenged myself to not weigh or measure my inchs for 2 weeks, that will then be a month since i started bootcamp and hoping to see some more positive results
  • BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    After looking at you food diary you need to cut your calories. You can be running around all day but if your eating to much its gone to waste. I know it's hard sometime but if you working hard in the gym don't throw it away by eating over 1400 calories. Also your having a lot of salt in your diet which can cause water retention.
  • iris8pie
    Options
    thanks for taking a look at my Diary Billy. I do need to cut down the salt fo' shizzle. Ive been burning 1000=1500 calories at the gym each day, so I figured I could eat a little more.... i do keep it under 2000
  • BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That's a great workout and keep it up. An average woman at average weight is allowed 2000 calories a day just to keep her at the weight she already is. If that average woman want to lose weight she would have to drop her calories by 500 a day and exercise 500 calories.. To lose the weight you're going to have to cut the calories or up your workouts. You already doing 2 hour workouts so it has to be the calories. Sorry :(
  • iris8pie
    Options
    awww...youre right.

I hate that youre right, but I know youre right.

*munches celery stick* :grumble:
  • natlierees
    natlierees Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm eating between 1200-1700 gym at least 3 times per week it has taken me 3 months now the weight has started to come off I've lost 3 punds since 30th June
  • iris8pie
    Options
    *bump for other time zoners*

how many months of serious working out before your extra weight started to come off?
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight a few days in and haven't had a problem losing yet.

I eat around 1200 - 1600 cals a day and work out anywhere from 20 mins - 1 hour a day.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to exercise off the weight. To do so, you need to do something seriously aerobic, like walking fast or running or bicycling, and you need to do it for an hour or more.
    That is my major gripe with that television show, The Biggest Loser. They make it look like the contestants are sweating off the pounds. They are not. They are living in a house where it is very hard to get high-calorie foods, and people are watching what they eat.
    Anyways, experiment around with the exercise tracker here and learn what kind of calorie allowance it gives you for each type of activity. You'll find that you do not earn many calories for lifting weights in the gym or doing a 20-minute video in the living room.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    After looking at you food diary you need to cut your calories. You can be running around all day but if your eating to much its gone to waste. I know it's hard sometime but if you working hard in the gym don't throw it away by eating over 1400 calories. Also your having a lot of salt in your diet which can cause water retention.

I see her target intake is around 1300 calories. There is no way that is too many calories, especially with exercise on top of that. I do see a few 2500 days, though. I don't even eat that much...
  • Brandieloowho
    Options
    Losing weight is 30% exercise and 70% diet. Track every bite!!

Also, Interval cardio training is the best for blasting fat and getting results. I like to do this on top of my weight training.. it's an amazing duo. Ex. of interval training is to sprint for 30-60seconds and then walk for 30-60 seconds... continue to do this changing up between 30 second, 45 second and 60 second intervals for 12 to 30 minutes. Circuit training is also a good way to get cardio and muscle building in all at once... In circuit training you're doing 4-6 exercises (1-2 of which are pure cardio) for 2-3 rounds and then moving onto the next set. And typically you're doing combined movements like a squat with an overhead press which works more muscle groups and gets your heart rate up, which equals more calories being burned. My first experience with circuit training was actually from Jillian Micheal's book "Making the Cut"... I've never seen such great results with almost anything before.

When I first started losing weight I was just concentrated on my diet and the weight just came off, that's without exercise. Once I added exercise I was blown away with results. It doesn't happen overnight, but you should see results very soon.

Also beware that you're not over doing it on exercise and make sure you're eating to fuel your body for those workouts. Don't send your body into survival mode.. which equals holding onto weight.
  • BeckyLH
    BeckyLH Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I actually reduced my exercise because I wasn't seeing results and I need to see the scale go down for motivation, I was at the gym 5-6 times a week, now I try and go every other day and stick to my calories and it's coming off.

Looking at your diary, you're definitely eating too much, when I exercise I still try to stay within my original calorie goal, I try not to eat my calories back as I always maintain.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    about a month. I started doing insanity, and by the end of week 3 i had lost ten pounds. 60 days, and something like 14 inches total. By the second round i only lost and found the same inch and pound, and by the 3rd not even that. We did P90X and i gained 5 inches and 10lbs but lost 8% bodyfat. When i started this all, i was 108 lbs, 30% bodyfat, and a size 2. Three years later im 121lbs, 18% bodyfat, and a size 2. My mom lost and gained the same 6lbs for a year and her inches fluctuated too. All i can say is just keep plugging away, it all comes together eventually.