Eating at night. ARGH!!!!

Options
I could really use some "tips and tricks" for controlling myself in the evenings. I do great all day at work, and find it really easy. But then I get home at night and all bets are off. I have really good intentions at first and plan out what I'm gonna eat, but the later in the evening it gets the more my resolve slips away and I end up getting a case of the f-it's and blow the entire day.

I'm trying to not beat myself up for it (because experience has shown me that when I do that I give up entirely) and just look at it is as I am making progress and something is better than nothing. BUT damn I want to get a handle on this and do better in the evenings. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cinnamon

Replies

• theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i have a big cup of tea!!! it takes time to boil the water, steep the tea, cool the tea and then i relax and enjoy it--and it fills me up!! and VERY FEW calories!!! thats my trick!!! hope it helps!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to eat more at night. Finally I just stopped fighting it., Now I eat light throughout the day and have a late dinner that is typically half my daily calories. No need to snack at night because I'm eating a big meal. This helped me meet my goal and maintain it for over a year.
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just got a new toy, and immersion blender. I blended up a half a cantelope with ice last night. It was sweet and creamy. And best of all it really did fill me. It's about 114 calories.

I drink tons of water...which is a big change for me...and it seems to really be killing my cravings and hunger.

I quit all soda and I swear, cravings are not as bad.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Consider saving additional calories for evening times (by eating less during the day) so that you can eat at night w/o going over.

Doesn't work for everyone, but for some people this is an excellent strategy.
  • reesa418
    reesa418 Posts: 22
    Options
    i have the same problem...

those all seem to be good ideas. i will give them a try too. Thanks!
  • racbergs
    racbergs Posts: 72
    Options
    Try pre-logging your food for the day. You'll know exactly what to eat while you are at work so you can have a nice filling dinner when you get home. Have everything already prepped so you can dive right into the cooking and wont be tempted to munch :). And if you get hungry after dinner, try munching on some black grapes :) they're huge so 10 of them usually satisfy my cravings and its only about 30 calories!
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I figure in my evening calories when I'm planning my day so I know where I'm at and not going over! There are just somethings I don't want to give up so I plan for it!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to eat more at night. Finally I just stopped fighting it., Now I eat light throughout the day and have a late dinner that is typically half my daily calories. No need to snack at night because I'm eating a big meal. This helped me meet my goal and maintain it for over a year.

This. I love a huge dinner at night so I eat sparingly during the day and save most of my calories for dinner so I can eat whatever I feel like.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories at night. It suits me and it has not hindered my weight loss.

Just eat lower cals in the day if you know you want to eat more in the evening. I'm not saying eat nothing, just choose lower calorie options, big salads/ fruit/ yoghurt/ lean proteins etc during the day.

And if you really want to splurge, do an extra workout!
  • littlecandy428
    littlecandy428 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My problem is not wanting to eat after 8:00 pm - but feeling super hungry at like 11:30. How do I beat the urge to eat something so late?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    My problem is not wanting to eat after 8:00 pm - but feeling super hungry at like 11:30. How do I beat the urge to eat something so late?

Why are you trying to not eat after 8pm, first of all?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

My advice is stop fighting your body. People often get so caught up in meal timing ("eat every X hours", "breakfast like a king ...", don't eat after X o'clock, etc.) that they sabotage themselves. If you are hungry at night, then save some calories to eat at night. Assuming you are trying for permanent dietary changes, do you really want to live the rest of your life being hungry every night?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body and eat when you want to. I know that I will be hungry at night, so I have 200-300 calories for snacks at that time.
    And I'm typically not hungry in the morning, so I don't eat breakfast.

You don't need to worry about when you are eating - just stay under your calorie goal. Your body is a machine that runs 24/7, so the nonsense about not eating after a certain time, or meal timing, or having to eat certain meals is all a bunch of B.S. Just listen to your body.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

My advice is stop fighting your body. People often get so caught up in meal timing ("eat every X hours", "breakfast like a king ...", don't eat after X o'clock, etc.) that they sabotage themselves. If you are hungry at night, then save some calories to eat at night. Assuming you are trying for permanent dietary changes, do you really want to live the rest of your life being hungry every night?

^^ This.. on the night that I wait for my fiance to get home I'm up till 4-6 in the morning I usually eat with him (it's usually the most unhealthy things on my food diary HA) I don't tend to get hungry on my own, but I want to eat with him so I do and I hold myself accountable for it. Don't worry about when you eat, if u know you're going to want to eat around then, save yourself some calories.