HRM's

Options
so i am seriously considering putting some cash down on an HRM (heart rate monitor) for while i workout. i usually spend 90mins in the gym, 4-5 times a week, and walk away never really knowing how many calories burned. i end up just going off of general calculations.

i was hoping you could give me some feedback on the one you use or used in the past

1) which one was it?
2) how did you like it?
3) did you wear it all day or just for workouts?
4) how comfortable was the chest strap (if you didn't have a fingertouch model)?
5) would you recommend it?

THANKS!!!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    1) which one was it? Polar FT7, cost about $70 iirc
    2) how did you like it? It's decent!
    3) did you wear it all day or just for workouts? They aren't meant to be worn all day and aren't accurate for it. Just during cardio workouts. (not accurate for weight training either.)
    4) how comfortable was the chest strap (if you didn't have a fingertouch model)? After a few minutes, I stop noticing it.
    5) would you recommend it? Yes.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    1. PolarFT4 (mostly because I could get a pink one, I know I know lol)
    2. I like it, except for the shocking difference between MFP/Nikeapp/Endomondo and the HRM calorie burned estimate.
    3. Just workouts, thats what they are for.
    4. Dont notice it at all, but Im female so Im used to having something around my chest lol
    5. Sure !
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner which is a bit pricy but it tracks miles outside which is a big help for me since I'm trying to run. My sister and son both have the Polar FT7 and seem to like it. The only thing we didn't like is that it needs a separate part for the data download capability...the part is $80 on top of the $70 you pay for the HRM. I believe the FT4 does not need the piece for the downloading of your workout data.
  • is4031
    is4031 Posts: 71
    Options
    3) did you wear it all day or just for workouts? They aren't meant to be worn all day and aren't accurate for it. Just during cardio workouts. (not accurate for weight training either.)
    4) how comfortable was the chest strap (if you didn't have a fingertouch model)? After a few minutes, I stop noticing it.

Wellbert pretty much is exactly the same as me. I do like my FT7 and find it comfortable.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1) which one was it? 1st one was a Polar F6, upgraded to the Polar FT4 last year

2) how did you like it? both are great!

3) did you wear it all day or just for workouts? These particular HRMS are intended only for use during exercise. I believe only the Fitbit and Bodybugg are intended for all day use.

4) how comfortable was the chest strap (if you didn't have a fingertouch model)? Quite comfortable. FYI, the fingertouch models aren't very accurate as they only give a rough estimate of your calorie burned based on what your hear rate is each time you touch the unit. The chest strap takes a constant heart rate, therefore the calorie calculations are more accurate.

5) would you recommend it? Definitely!
  • AllDayMzAmberJ
    AllDayMzAmberJ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4.. It's decent. Only meant to use during workouts. Chest strap is comfortable, you forget about it as soon as you put it on.
  • monkeynumber100
    monkeynumber100 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Wellbert pretty much is exactly the same as me. I do like my FT7 and find it comfortable.

Same here. I love it! Very glad I bought it!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    1) Polar FT7
    2) I love it!
    3) It's only accurate during cardio workouts. No HRM is meant to be worn all day as far as I understand. That's why you use the formulas to determine your BMR.
    4) Pretty comfortable. Being female I'm used to wearing a bra. Kinda the same feeling.
    5) Definitely recommend. Often in fact. I suggest the FT7 over the FT4 (which also has great reviews) because you can change the battery yourself in this model. The only suggestion is that you wash your strap every 3rd workout (instead of every 5th as suggested by the manufacturer). Otherwise I start seeing a lot of "00". Others may have fancier models (such as the FT40 or 60) but I from what I've read, they are more for runners and have options you don't really need if you are just using it to track workouts.

Hope this helps!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    1. Ironman HRM by Timex
    2. Great features, timer & distance. DH has one also, so if I assist in his workouts I can read his HR on my watch to keep him in his zone without hearing any beeps.
    3. Wear the watch often (purple and grey - fancy!) strap only during workouts for calorie count
    4. I dont notice its there because my tank bra holds it in place
    5. Yep!

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Ironman-Trainer-Monitor-Silver/dp/B001GWUE02/ref=pd_sim_sg_6
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    1) which one was it? SportsLine
    2) how did you like it? I love it
    3) did you wear it all day or just for workouts? Just when I'm working out; I can change the level according to what I'm doing. Ex: If I'm lifting weights I put it on level 2; light cardio level 1; heavy cardio level 3. Best way to know how many calories I'm burning.
    4) how comfortable was the chest strap (if you didn't have a fingertouch model)? I have a new model and the chest strap is great for me.
    5) would you recommend it? Yes all the time

THANKS!!!
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    1) which one was it? - Polar FT7 (still use it, since last Sept.)
    2) how did you like it? - I like it. I was astonished initially by the difference between what the machines at the gym said I was burning and what the HRM, which is supposed to be much more accurate, said I was burning. The machine had me burning nearly 2x more than the HRM. At first I thought it had to be wrong, but after talking to a number of people, I finally came to the conclusion that it was a more accurate reading
    3) did you wear it all day or just for workouts? - Just for workouts since the battery on the transmitter is only good for about 700 hours. That may sound like a lot but I work out so much that it only lasted a few months. Also, when the transmitter battery begins to get weaker, the number of "dropouts" where the wrist computer loses the HR signal increases.
    4) how comfortable was the chest strap (if you didn't have a fingertouch model)? - I have no problem with chest strap, but since I'm a female, I'm used to having something strapped around my chest. I think most people will get used to pretty quickly.
    5) would you recommend it? - Yes. It's a good HRM. There are definitely models with more bells/whistles, but this one is a solid entry. I've found that it has motivated me to work harder as I try to achieve a "good burn" daily. I also recommend utilizing Polar's free training website to upload your results so that you can track your progress. You can enter it manually, but you may want to later consider getting their USB uplink; it makes it so much easier.
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have 2 and will review both

1) which one was it? Garmin FR70
    2) how did you like it? It's okay. It was reading great the first week but after that it starts to read intermittently no matter how tight or wet the strap is.
    3) did you wear it all day or just for workouts? Just to workout
    4) how comfortable was the chest strap (if you didn't have a fingertouch model)? It's okay but can get uncomfortable as you tighten & move it around to try to get a good read again
    5) would you recommend it? no

1) which one was it? Polar FT60
    2) how did you like it? YES! There is also a program on there that will set weekly goals for you & update you on your training progress weekly. It can also store 100 sessions.
    3) did you wear it all day or just for workouts? Just to workout
    4) how comfortable was the chest strap (if you didn't have a fingertouch model)? Very comfortable. There has been more than one time when I forgot I was wearing it until I was about to hop in the shower.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    The only thing we didn't like is that it needs a separate part for the data download capability...the part is $80 on top of the $70 you pay for the HRM. I believe the FT4 does not need the piece for the downloading of your workout data.

You don't *need* the FlowLink transmitter. Without it, you can't download your workouts to the polar website but you don't need to. They don't transfer from polar to MFP as far as I know. With a smart phone I just manually enter it in via the MFP app when I'm done with my workout. Also, from what I can tell, the FT4 doesn't do data transfer anyway (http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT4) which would be why it doesn't mention the FlowLink.
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    1) I have the Polar FT40. Had it for two years, and can't imagine going to the gym/working out without it.

2) Love it!

3) Just for workouts.

4) Chest strap is ok I guess. As a girl, sometimes it will get uncomfortable, and there has been a few incidents of chafing. But overall, I don't really notice it much when I wear it.

5) Yes I would. It may be a bit more expensive than the other Polar models that seem very popular on here, but it's well worth the extra money in my book. I can also recommend the FT70 btw. I do not own one myself, but my workout buddy does, and she is as happy with hers as I am with mine.
  • themichaelf
    Options
    WOW... thanks for all of the responses... I appreciate it. Nothing is better than actually people that use it to recommend it... sorta get tired of reading product details when all i want to know is rather other people thinks it works or not.

by the way... feel free to add me... would love the motivation and to watch how you guys/girls are doing

THANKS!
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1. PolarFT4 (mostly because I could get a pink one, I know I know lol)
    2. I like it, except for the shocking difference between MFP/Nikeapp/Endomondo and the HRM calorie burned estimate.
    3. Just workouts, thats what they are for.
    4. Dont notice it at all, but Im female so Im used to having something around my chest lol
    5. Sure !

Pretty much the same as all my answers, LOL
  • Karla_Witha_K
    Karla_Witha_K Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how this community can read my mind before I even figure out what I'm thinking! I was just thinking about getting a HRM today as I feel the calorie estimation that MFP and the gym machines have aren't as accurate as they should be (and could be a reason why I'm only maintaining and not losing weight...along with other things but we won't go there). Thanks for all the insight. I've never met you all but I trust you a lot more than the random reviews on amazon and the like. Thanks again!

P.S. Feel free to add me to keep me and/or yourself motivated. But be forwarned, I may clog your home screen with multiple updates. Hopefully it'll motivate you more than piss you off :)
  • themichaelf
    Options
    It's amazing how this community can read my mind before I even figure out what I'm thinking! I was just thinking about getting a HRM today as I feel the calorie estimation that MFP and the gym machines have aren't as accurate as they should be (and could be a reason why I'm only maintaining and not losing weight...along with other things but we won't go there). Thanks for all the insight. I've never met you all but I trust you a lot more than the random reviews on amazon and the like. Thanks again!

P.S. Feel free to add me to keep me and/or yourself motivated. But be forwarned, I may clog your home screen with multiple updates. Hopefully it'll motivate you more than piss you off :)

haha no big deal... i'll add you :)
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I was about to post this question too. Haha! Thanks everyone!