IVF and Weight Gain from Meds?

Options
Good morning! Just wondering if any of the mommies out there conceived through IVF, and if so did you have any major weight fluctuations from the meds? I'm getting ready to start cycling (first bc, then shots and estrogen patches) and I'm not sure what to expect in regards to my weight. I've been working hard to lose weight in anticipation of the pregnancy gain, but I have no idea what will be happening to my weight prior to the transfer.

Thanks!

Replies

• klacoille
    klacoille Posts: 53
    Options
    I didn't do IVF, we opted for IUI and I didn't gain any significant weight. But then again, I wasn't really watching my weight back then. Good luck to you. I hope it works out for you.
  • jreeves628
    jreeves628 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I did fertility treatment for almost three years before getting pregnant. I did gain about 20 lbs over the three years. I blamed it on the treatments but if I honestly think about it, I think the weight gain was attributed more to my diet due to the stress and feelings with the whole infertility thing.
  • amandahume44
    Options
    Cindyc - not starting the IVF process until March but I have the same concerns about weight and the meds. Good luck!!!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I have. One of the meds I'm suppressed my pituitary gland which messed my thyroid up. Add that to progesterone and hello weight gain!

I'm going through my 2nd attempt right now. Feel free to add me :)
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    A friend went through IVF, and she said she didn't have any actual weight gain, but that she had a TON of bloating/water weight from the hormones.
  • tc_jazzy
    tc_jazzy Posts: 1
    Options
    I am currently going through my third ivf cycle in anticipation of this I lost 3'10lb and I am doing the shorter cycle which started on day two of my cycle so I was not down regulated at all...... However I am going in for my egg collection tomorrow 01-08-12 and the scales this morning say I have gained 5lb...... I have been told I am verging on hyper stimulation and will need to be assessed for my embryo transfer!!!!! I have not exercised through the treatment so I think I am retaining alot of fluid in my 24 follicles...... I hope that after tomorrow I will return to my normal weight so I can happily prepare for my transfer!!!!! Hope all has gone well for everyone else on here.... Fingers crossed. Xx
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi, I usually gain around 7-10lbs but this is partly due to meds and partly due to the fact that we have to go away for treatment which means staying in a hotel, eating out etc.

Good luck all of you who are currently trying. xx
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your input! I am a gestational surrogate and I'm so excited to be helping a wonderful couple add to their family...but I have a *teeny* bit of anxiety over the weight gain. In part because of the meds, in part because I have hypothyroidism (which I didn't have during my 2 previous pregnancies), and in part because I am just plain getting older! :o)

I've been working hard to drop a few pounds before everything gets started (down 12 pounds) so hopefully I can keep additional gain from the meds to a minimum.

Best wishes to all of you!! xo
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    HUGE!!!! I put back 35 lbs back on since I went through my first round of IVF - I have been pretty stable since then (Nov started cycling). I went through again in March and again in June and all rounds caused weight gain, but #1 was the worst. The first was a lot of bloating too....I couldn't wear any of my clothes unless they were my "fat" clothes and even then they weren't comfortable - I dorpped 60lbs before starting....and I was back up to that level by the time of the first test. I had mild OHSS though.
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I had one cycle (successful thankfully) and I didn't have any weight gain at all. Now the pregnancy...thats another story. lol

Good luck!!