Walking and Mowing calculations?

Options
If I mow my lawn for 90 minutes, It tells me that I burned 790 calories. I also walked 4 miles today including the mowing process giving me 479 calories burned. Should I be combining these two totals for 1269 calories burned? Or do I need to pick one or the other? :smokin:

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Dont combine them because they are not separated. You said you walked 4 miles including what you did with the mowing. So, add the mowing and then add the walking without your mowing distance calculated in.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    How did you come up with those numbers? What device did you use?
  • RPFORD23237
    RPFORD23237 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dana, that sounds about right! :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I see that your question has already been answered but, If you don't already have one, get a heart rate monitor. It is much more accurate than MFP's database. Almost always, I burn MORE with the HRM than what MFP says. It is based on your weight, your height, age, and of course your actual heart rate. I'm 5ft 3 138lbs, my husband is 5ft 11 180 and he burns twice the calories that I do. We bought polar FT4 monitors. They are about $50.00-$80.00 depending on if you buy new or used. Totally worth the money in my opinion. It also encourages me to be more active because I want to SEE that number of calories burned! I've also seen that the less I weigh, the fewer calories I burn. Now I know that with the HRM I can increase the intensity or the duration to burn what I used to and still reach my goals.
    Good luck and wtg on working towards better health!
  • RPFORD23237
    Options
    I have an inexpensive Sportline pedometer from Wal-Mart that is set to my stride and is calculated properly (Walking or driving around my block comes up with the same distance) It just shows my mileage, not calories burned. I have a 1/4 acre lot that normally takes 85-90 minutes to mow with a push mower that is no longer self propelled and I generally walk 2-2.5 miles in the process. Yesterday I Mowed in the 99 degree heat with 73% RH and it took almost 3 hours as I had the sauna top on and had to stop repeatedly. I dropped from 216 to 211 in that time frame. 5 pounds lost is normal for me when I mow, but usually rehydrate back another 3-4 pounds the next day. So far have only put 1 pound back on.
  • RPFORD23237
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :smile: