motivation and pain?

Options
Hi,

I introduced myself on the newbie board the other day. I would like suggestions or feedback for a problem that mixes pain and motivation. I have had both knees replaced in the last 10 months. My left one was just replaced June 28. I am in constant pain from the knee surgeries.I know this sounds cheesy but I have a low pain tolerance. My right knee which was operated on in September is still quite painful. I have been told that the pain in the right knee will lessen if I exercise more. Overall I feel crummy from the knee replacements and generally being out of shape. I know if I exercise In will eel better but I don't feel well enough to exercise! I have promised myself that tomorrow I will swim at the YMCA. How do people motivate themselves to do something that adds to their pain in the short term even though you know it will be good for you in the long run? By the way, I am 54, used to always be on the go and weigh 210 lbs.

Replies

• weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Have to be honest, that's a tough one, but it won't get better if you don't' start somewhere. Start slow and start with something you know you will achieve, like walking to the end of the block. It's the starting that's important, the rest will fall into place as you increase your exercise. I have pain every day and even though the exercise increases that pain it's still worth it as I know I'm doing something that will eventually improve my fitness. My pain won't ever go but like many others who live with daily pain it's a matter of deciding that you control it - the pain doesn't control you.

As I said at the outset, it ain't easy and it will take dedication and perseverance to get you where you want to go. Ask your PT people what they suggest for rehab they will have the best and most professional advice for where you are at the moment.

Best of luck, you will get there...
  • MillerCrock
    MillerCrock Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hang in there cupcake! I sent you a message. Let me add- ice it before you go and take an antiinflamatory (alleve, ibupropin, whatever your dr has you on. Then ice it again when you get back. sometimes the inflamation is the pain stressor so if you can keep the inflamation down the pain won't be as bad.
    Did they put you on a constant motion machine after surgery? I think that helped me. When you are doped up the pain is bearable and the knee stayed flexible. Check thrift stores and craig's list for a stationary bike! Then make yourself ride it during a 30 min sitcom. Takes your mind of the exercise.
  • kam502
    kam502 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately or fortunately (as far as infections go), I called my surgeon yesterday to ask if I could swim in a public pool and his answer was an emphatic NO! I guess it makes sense since my scar is not completely healed. I guess I could try a bike ride.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hang in there cupcake! I sent you a message. Let me add- ice it before you go and take an antiinflamatory (alleve, ibupropin, whatever your dr has you on. Then ice it again when you get back. sometimes the inflamation is the pain stressor so if you can keep the inflamation down the pain won't be as bad.
    Did they put you on a constant motion machine after surgery? I think that helped me. When you are doped up the pain is bearable and the knee stayed flexible. Check thrift stores and craig's list for a stationary bike! Then make yourself ride it during a 30 min sitcom. Takes your mind of the exercise.

All good advice. Check out yard sales for stationary bikes as well. Take it slow and talk to your doctor about any exercises they would recommend.
  • Lenindaire
    Lenindaire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i agree ice is a wonderfull thing. if you can take it through all the stages called CBAN ..cold, burn, achy, numb. for most areas is only takes 15-20 min to go through all the stages. numb is when you no onger feel the cold. taking it all the way to numb is going to help break the pain cycle that you are experiencing.
    the other thing i would reccomend is massage. it will help break up scar tissue and adhesions. you can do it yourself by rubbing around the knee in all directions. if you can go see your PT or a massage therapist that specializes in orthopedic or rehabilitation, another pesron who should be able to show how you would be a chiropracor since most of them do some soft tissue work.
    hope this helps

Congratulations on taking the first steps of your journey.:flowerforyou: