Warrior Dash

Options
Training for Warrior Dash in September, any suggestions?

Replies

• dirty_diana
    dirty_diana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know after I run it on Sunday!
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first one in September also!!!!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the main thing. Make sure you're comfortable running a 5K. Work on push ups, pull-ups, core exercises for the obstacle portion. Good luck and have fun.
  • bjmiller
    bjmiller Posts: 1
    Options
    I did it last year in Ohio and other than the obstacle areas it was all uphill or downhill. I did not train for hills and it kicked my butt.
  • Pgarcia413
    Pgarcia413 Posts: 28
    Options
    Agreed on the hills training, or running up and down stairs. I didn't do Warrior, but have done countless other mud runs, including Spartan which is harder than Warrior dash from what other runners told me (also depends on location of race, but for the chicago area, Spartan is harder than Warrior.)

Some of these races have WOD you can sign up for if you want something sent to your inbox for your training each day. Some of the read like this:

warm up with jog or jump rope session
    10 burpees
    20 lunges
    5 pull-ups
    1/4 mile to 1 mile run interval
    (repeat 3-10 times)
    cool down with a good stretch

Other days you may change it up by pulling heavy objects across the ground, if you have it. Maybe a spare tire and some rope. Sledgehammer to a large tire. Rope climbing, monkey bars as some of these races have those. But also know, you don't have to do every obstacle, at least try it, but if you can't you can't. The Spartan will make you do 30 burpees as a replacement for an obstacle you cannot do.

As for clothing, i know you didn't ask but feel my obligation to share what i know - NO COTTON. This seems like common sense but I sitll see people wear it. When it gets wet, it gets heavy. Wear clothing that is made with that wicking material so it releases the water. Shoes, light shoes, tied close to your feet. A lot of people will duct tape them on, but I never needed to and I have gotten stuck in mud plenty of times and haven't lost a shoe. Make sure they have great traction as those rocks can get slippery. The hills, when muddy are slippery. I have heard some people say they wear track shoes.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I ran it in April and didn't do any real training. I knew I could run a 5K (had done a few before then) and just took the obstacles as they came. It was a lot of fun! Enjoy!
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Agreed on the hills training, or running up and down stairs. I didn't do Warrior, but have done countless other mud runs, including Spartan which is harder than Warrior dash from what other runners told me (also depends on location of race, but for the chicago area, Spartan is harder than Warrior.)

Some of these races have WOD you can sign up for if you want something sent to your inbox for your training each day. Some of the read like this:

warm up with jog or jump rope session
    10 burpees
    20 lunges
    5 pull-ups
    1/4 mile to 1 mile run interval
    (repeat 3-10 times)
    cool down with a good stretch

Other days you may change it up by pulling heavy objects across the ground, if you have it. Maybe a spare tire and some rope. Sledgehammer to a large tire. Rope climbing, monkey bars as some of these races have those. But also know, you don't have to do every obstacle, at least try it, but if you can't you can't. The Spartan will make you do 30 burpees as a replacement for an obstacle you cannot do.

As for clothing, i know you didn't ask but feel my obligation to share what i know - NO COTTON. This seems like common sense but I sitll see people wear it. When it gets wet, it gets heavy. Wear clothing that is made with that wicking material so it releases the water. Shoes, light shoes, tied close to your feet. A lot of people will duct tape them on, but I never needed to and I have gotten stuck in mud plenty of times and haven't lost a shoe. Make sure they have great traction as those rocks can get slippery. The hills, when muddy are slippery. I have heard some people say they wear track shoes.

Great advice! Thank you for posting that! I run the Dash in September!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    which one in September? wouldn't be Grand Rapids by chance would it?
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I did the one in KY in June. I agree with the hills training...I was not prepared for them endurance needed for that.
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cardio and upper body strength.
    Hill running.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I did one last month. It was awesome. Training wise, I didn't do any. Wear old clothes and something that is comfortable wet. Wear old shoes and tie them tight so you don't lose them. Have fun and enjoy it!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the main thing. Make sure you're comfortable running a 5K. Work on push ups, pull-ups, core exercises for the obstacle portion. Good luck and have fun.

Yes, its not as difficult as you think. Be prepared to use lots of upper-body strength to climb up and over things! Oh and some were pretty high!

(The only one obstacle I couldn't do was monkey bars--but actually that wasn't even in a Warrior Dash - that was another mud run.)

Wear old shoes and triple-knot the laces so you don't lose them in the first pit of thick mud!

Good luck and have fun!
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    Great luck in your Warrior Dash!! I am longing to do one eventually!
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You running up in NH? I'm doing that one ^_^ don't really have any specific training advice, but I've been runnign 2 -3 5K's, and involving 3 weight days a week.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Is that the one in Michigan? If so, I'll be there too.

Basically my only training has been running, because that's what I struggle with the most. Maybe practice some high knees and mountain climbers for training too.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Is that the one in Michigan? If so, I'll be there too.

Basically my only training has been running, because that's what I struggle with the most. Maybe practice some high knees and mountain climbers for training too.

I have a couple friends on here doing the michigan one and I have friends IRL doing it as well.
    I can't afford registration but will be there to cheer my friends on and party afterwards
  • Cpsnisi
    Cpsnisi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did one last year. What training you do depends on what you want to get out of it. I completed it, including all obstacles, with absolutely no training other than walk-jogging 5k a couple times to get an idea what that distance feels like. This was a year ago when I was still quite sedentary and not fit at all. I was in it for the mud and the fun, didn't care about my time. So is training *necessary*? Not really, no.

That said, if you want to take it more seriously, I'd say that some upper body strength would make the obstacles easier. So maybe some pushups? I'd also suggest that if you're not used to off-road running, do some before the race. Running over natural surfaces is very different from running on pavement.

A couple other things, in addition to what others have mentioned:

There tends to be backups at the obstacles. Unless you're one of the fastest in your heat and get to them first, you will be waiting in line to start most of the obstacles. Pace your run accordingly.

The obstacles aren't as fierce as they look on the web site. If you're nervous about them, you probably don't need to be. If you want a better preview, do a google search for warrior dash videos and you'll find some helmet-cam type videos from actual races.

You can pull up satellite images and terrain maps of the race site on google to get an idea of the terrain - hilly vs flat, woods vs fields, etc. Personally, I felt better knowing what to expect.

Wear shoes with good traction even when they get wet. Some of the obstacles become much harder with slippery shoes!

Wear a costume! It's just more fun that way!

Consider bringing a jug of water and a few old washcloths or towels in the car to clean up a bit afterwards (if you care about that). Yeah, they hose you off there, but you can only do so much, and there's people waiting, etc.

Good luck and whatever you do, HAVE FUN!!
  • bethieannie
    bethieannie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first one in Sept as well! I just started the training that they suggest on their website. it seems pretty helpful.
  • jellnor
    jellnor Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips and support. Yes we'll be up in NH.
  • kylamb
    kylamb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So glad I searched this topic! Thanks for the tips everyone! I've been so nervous about the Warrior Dash I signed up for in September and now I have confidence I can do it!