Supplement suggestions?

Options
Hi everyone!

I am fairly new to MFP, so I apologize if there is already an old thread on supplements floating around
(if so please feel free to direct me to it! :) ). I am specifically looking for healthy/natural supplements that can help to boost my energy levels and metabolism. I need to lose a significant amount of weight so I am doing a lot of cardio but also strength training at the same time. I have to work-out at 5am (I am a busy mom of 1 and nanny to 2 in my home, all boys!), because that is the only time to fit it in! Also any tips on supplements to help keep you full longer and/or that curb your appetite?

Thank you for your responses in advance!! Also please feel free to friend me :) I'll take all the motivation I can get!! =D

Tiffany

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    There really isn't any scientific evidence that supplements do anything except deplete your bank account. I take calcium + vitamin D because I'm older and have osteopenia and I take a fish oil capsule because I don't eat much fish, but that's about it.

I subscribe the Michael Pollen rule about supplements: be the kind of person who takes supplements. . . and then skip the supplements.
  • rmc1986
    rmc1986 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just started with MFP this week and was also wondering about supplements when I saw your post. I've heard a lot recently about Raspberry Ketone and was wondering if anyone has tried it. It's supposed to help with making your metabolism by making your body think it were skinny (so that it would act that way). Would love to hear some feedback on this.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Raspberry ketones (like most other stuff the Great and Powerful Oz endorses) are completely bogus. Don't waste your money!

The one thing I would recommend is making sure that you're not iron deficient--most women are. On top of all manner of other symptoms, iron deficiency can make weight loss extremely difficult. So get checked and take an iron supplement if necessary.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I use protein powders, but those are basically just food when you get down to it.

I also take flaxseed oil and fish oil, but again, those are just food.