calories burned question

mommy2js
mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
This is probably a stupid question, but. . . . .

If you are trying to eat 1200 calories a day, and you burn 300 by exercising, does that mean you are supposed to actually eat 1500 calories in order to net out at 1200, or are you still supposed to just eat 1200?

Replies

• mommy2js
    This is probably a stupid question, but. . . . .

If you are trying to eat 1200 calories a day, and you burn 300 by exercising, does that mean you are supposed to actually eat 1500 calories in order to net out at 1200, or are you still supposed to just eat 1200?
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Yes, eat your exercise calories, don't eat below 1200 NET calories or your body will go into starvation mode.
  • mommy2js
    that's what i was hoping to hear - thanks!
  • 2catowner
    2catowner Posts: 94
    so the answer would be 1500 calories right?
  • mommy2js
    guess so:happy:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    of course with 12 pounds to loose, you are probably not going to lose very fast because you are close to goal. What did you put in for how much you want to lose in a week?
  • mommy2js
    2 lbs
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Hello :flowerforyou:

Read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi
    and all the posts for newbies.

2lbs may be too fast for you,
    You can start 1lbs for a few weeks and then see how does it work for you.

Good luck :smile:
  • banks1850
    thunder stolen.:tongue:

edyta is right though, 2 lbs is probably going to frustrate you more then anything else.
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Ok, I'm a little confused....if you eat your work out calories isn't that undoing everything you just did? I've read that long post from Banks talking about deficits and it completely confused me ....might be because I"m new and have NO idea what you guys are talking about! Anyone feel like clearing it up for me?
  • iplantm
    iplantm Posts: 2
    Along the same lines...I am training for a half marathon. Yesterday I did a run that burned over 1000 calories...I couldnt get all the food in yesterday so Ive been trying to make it up today as well ...as Ive been dragging...does anyone know if this is the right thing to do or if it only countns for that day?
  • banks1850
    Along the same lines...I am training for a half marathon. Yesterday I did a run that burned over 1000 calories...I couldnt get all the food in yesterday so Ive been trying to make it up today as well ...as Ive been dragging...does anyone know if this is the right thing to do or if it only countns for that day?

Well, while carbo loading isn't all it's cracked up to be, you should give yourself extra energy before a long run (say anthing over 6 or 7 miles you probably will burn through all your available energy store and start hitting your muscle for energy, that's not really a good thing), give yourself some extra carbs, and fat about an hour or so before you run, not a ton, but maybe 2 or 3 hundred extra calories worth. That should lighten up your after run needs a little. If you plan correctly you should be able to do it and not have to stuff yourself. As to eating more the next day, it might help a little, but your probably feeling the stiffness associated with muscle building as much as anything, I would suggest slightly elevated protein levels and electrolytes for after if you feel the burn in your legs, that should help with the repair process a little (by slightly I mean maybe an extra 5% or so protein).
This discussion has been closed.