I'm curious - early twenty somethings ?

Options
k900
k900 Posts: 140 Member
I am 22 and have a full time job. I get paid $9 an hour and i can't afford rent for a one bedroom apartment. Almost every listing for a one bedroom is at least $450. That is 50 dollars off from being my parents house payment and it's a three bedroom. I do have a slightly high car payment but i can't get rid of it right now. I would just end up with a higher payment and i need a reliable car to get to and from work. I live about 25 miles away from where i work.

So early twenty somethings -

What is your living situation (live alone or roommate or ? )

How much do you make ( i get why some people don't want to say so that's fine if you don't ) ?

Do you struggle to pay bills ?

Are you comfortable with your living situation ?

What type of job do you have ( again if you don't want to say that's fine ) ?

Replies

• Vitamin_K
    Vitamin_K Posts: 47
    Options
    at the age of 22, I had 2 kids & were raising them on my own, and was buying my own home & making my own car pmt. I did this w/ out any assistance from family or goverment. I worked & still work at a doctor's office in administrative type position. I would say you need to look elswhere for a job or you are going to have to lower your standards of living. Roomates are trouble unless you know you have someone super reliable. Good luck
  • she_elf
    she_elf Posts: 108
    Options
    I'm 22, still in school, live with my parents because I couldn't afford to do anything else. Currently I'm unemployed (just got back from studying abroad), so I'm job hunting but not making any money. When I do finally get a job, I'll only be able to work part-time (maybe 12-16 hours a week at most).

I...well...I'm lucky that I don't pay any of my bills. My parents pretty much take care of that for me, but if they didn't I'd probably have to drop out of school to pay them, and my parents wouldn't be happy about that (and neither would I).

Overall, I live a pretty cushy life, but I'm not entirely satisfied. I want to be living on my own, but because of school it's just not an option at the moment.

Most of my friends who are around my age (even up to a couple years older) who have apartments are living with roommates. I have ONE friend who has her own apartment (in NYC no less), but her parents are helping her out with the rent.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and in the last 5 years I've gone from unemployed student draining inheritance, my parents goodwill, savings, student loan, credit card and I have no idea what else, living with my parents and somehow maintaining a car to go to uni...

To being a self-employed adjudicator, living by myself in a one-bed in London, more than comfortable.

There really is no substitute for hard work, determination and consistency, be it dieting, education or in the work environment.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'm no longer in my early 20s, but I always had roommates in my younger 20s so that I was never spending more than 30% of my income on rent. But even when I was 21 and started my first job out of college, my salary came out to nearly double what you're making now. I also bought my car outright when I was 18 so I didn't have a car payment then.

I always have the "I don't have money" mentality, even though at 27 I make just about double what I made at 21.

Save every penny you can and see if you can carpool to work. Maybe get a second job (or look for another job). Though the cost of living seems to be a lot cheaper there - $9/hour is more livable there than here. A one bedroom at $450 is a steal here in Connecticut. I pay over 2X that and that's "cheap" for this part of the country.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have a full time job as an accountant. I make just over 1k a week, but I still find ways to spend it all, LOL. I live by myself as well.
  • polehero
    polehero Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    girl you need to be working with tips !!!!! try bartending waitressing cocktail waitressing ... maybe even showgirling ??? 9 dollars an hour full time is crazy now days .... i used to bartend and waitress for a while and when i was 19 i showgirled at some nightclubs .. tips and under the table jobs are the way to go, i never had a problem with paying my bills when i had those jobs ( now im full time mommy :) .. dont waste your life doing something you hate especially if you are only making 9 bucks an hour girl go and do what makes you happy !!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm not in your situation now, but 10 years ago I was. Renting a room is the way to go. Find a stable, older person who owns a house and wants to rent a room for some extra money. It's much better than finding roommates who may or may not pay the bills on time! Living on $9/hr is hard, so you don't want surprises. Amazingly, I actually saved money when I was living on so little, and eventually when I was making a little more money I was able to buy a little house for $80K and my payment was only $600. Of course, it needed work, but I fixed it up little by little and eventually sold it for much more.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm 25, live with my boyfriend and daughter, we rent a house for $1650.00 a month. I bus to work every morning to save money on parking/gas.

I live pretty comfortably, but we used to struggle to pay bills when my boyfriend was on unemployment and I had a low paying job. Things started looking up for us when I was 22.
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    In my early twenties, things were hard. I lived with roommates up until I was 26! I lived by myself for 1 year, but found that I was stretching myself to thin as I was paying my own college tuition at the time. Roommates weren't bad. I was very lucky to find good people and we really supported each other...when I was broke in between paychecks and needed something, they would step in and buy me food or give me money just to take the train and vice versa. I lived off of Celeste pizzas (99 cents) and ramden noodles. I didn't have a car (from NYC), so the money you are putting towards your car, I put towards my education.

Things will change! It just takes time. You are young, so don't worry too much about living on your own. If your parents are happy to have you, why leave? If you want more freedom, just get a roommate.

I don't mean to preach, but I really you hope you pursued or are pursuing a higher education. That's really the only way to secure a higher pay in the future unless you have connections.

I didn't get my first "real" paying job until I was 22 (making $25K a year), and for living in NYC, believe me, that wasn't much. However, in 4 years, my salary more than doubled after I got my degree.
  • wee_emski
    wee_emski Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 26. I moved out when I was 19, my parents helped me a bit with my rent, and I lived with my boyfriend at the time. I was still in university at the time so just had a part time job. I've lived in our current flat for almost 4 years. My fiance and I are waiting for our new house to be built. We have three little boys aged between 5 and 10 months. We both have ok jobs, but when we first got our flat we were living off a salary of £14,500 (which is not much when you have 2 little boys). My partner was an archives assistant then, I was still qualifying as a secondary teacher. I'm an English teacher, my partner has been promoted. We do ok. My first ever job (in retail, when I was at school and at uni), paid just over £5 an hour. I doubt I'd be able to afford to rent or buy (pay mortgage) if I still had that job. If I remember rightly, full time staff who worked around 39 hours a week only made £9000 a year :-(. Have you tried to see if you can get a better paid job.
  • janawana23
    Options
    Im 24, I work full time and make less than 50K a year. My question is, where do you live? I would LOVE to pay only $450 a month for rent, but that is literally impossible here unless you live in a basement room with no windows or closet in a group house in a bad neighborhood. I live by myself in a studio in DC and pay $1655 a month. Its considerably more than half of my after-tax salary. I dont have a car and can walk to work, which almost eliminates commuting costs. My only monthly bills are for my phone, internet, and netflix (I cant afford cable). Otherwise, Im pretty good at saving. The only thing I spend a lot of money on consistently is drinks and food, but whats the point of living in the city at my age without some semblance of fun? I guess its all relative. I make more than plenty of people my age that I know around the country, but my disposable income is much less than most of them. Hope this helps.
  • Des0528
    Des0528 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 23, living with my mother at the moment, saving money to pay off credit cards then focusing on saving money to buy a house. I have a full-time job as a bank teller making $11/hour. I have a car payment but luckily it's only $176 a month. I do have numerous credit card bills that are holding me back quite a bit. I don't struggle to pay my bills but I rarely have much left over. Have you tried looking for another job, maybe in customer service or banking? maybe at a doctors office? they always seem to pay pretty well
  • dunnweb
    dunnweb Posts: 49
    Options
    Don't feel bad rooms in Boston can be upwards of 750-1000 let alone the multiple thousands for your own apartment. That's why I live out of the city :).

So early twenty somethings - 22

What is your living situation (live alone or roommate or ? ) Roommate

How much do you make ( i get why some people don't want to say so that's fine if you don't ) ? 55k/yr + ~15k extra for my freelancing web/writing work.

Do you struggle to pay bills ? Not since I left the military

Are you comfortable with your living situation ? Yes

What type of job do you have ( again if you don't want to say that's fine ) ? Computer programmer
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Very nearly 20...
    I work full-time for 4 months of the year (the other 8, I am in school)
    In that 4 months I make enough to make my rent & enough to have ~$100/wk for groceries/leisure.
    I have 2 roommates, but combined our 3-bedroom townhouse costs over 1k/month in rent.

I'm fortunate my tuition is taken care of. But yeah...that's my current living situation.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When i graduated from college i worked at a job i hated for $13/hour. I lived 10 hours from home so i had to rent an apt but i got a roommate, and i worked at a restaurant on the weekends to supplement my income. I did ok, but to make $9/hour without any kind of other income is damn near impossible to get anywhere. If you wish to stay at your current job, absolutely work somewhere earning tips on the weekends or after work. Waitressing/bartending whatever. Good luck!
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Where do you live where a one-bedroom apartment is $450? In DC, that sort of thing is $1500+.

So you're working for $9/hour. Are you an intern? Is there hope for professional growth? If you have the job for the sole reason of it is a job then I would suggest looking elsewhere. I understand toughing it out in this economic climate, but that sort of thing would only make sense if you were looking to pursue promotions within that company.

Take the advice above and get into food service. Even two nights of bartending at your local Chili's will net you $200-300...and finding a gig at a swanky bar can net you $1500-2500+ a week full-time. A night or two of that and you'd be able to supplement your 'career.'

Best of luck to you.
    -wtk
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am 26, recently a single mom of a 1yo little boy! Currently living with my parents to save money in order to buy a home!
    I am an administrative assistant making around 36,000 a year. I am able to pay my bills however at the moment I can not afford to rent and pay for daycare!
    I pay around 1,000 dollars a month for day care and a 2 bedroom appartment or home in my area runs about 1,400 a month!
    So thus why I am saving up to buy! I can definitely get my mortgage cheaper than what I would pay for rent!
    Definitely envious of all those that only pay around $450-$550 for rent!
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    in my early twenties 20-23/24, I worked at a bank full-time making $17 an hr.Wasn't Baller status money lol, but i guess when ur young and single with barely any bills it was good.
    I lived on my own and paid $500 for rent each month (a basement suite, was above level tho). I also had a cute little honda civic that i paid for in cash ($5000) a year or two earlier.
    I didn't struggle paying my bills. I was always good with my money. I managed to go on a few vacations and what not.

Now I am almost 26, married and a stay at home mom for the time being. I'll be going to work soon i think.... But my husband makes a very good living so we are doing comfortably now. We pay $1500 for rent each month. I drive a mercedes cl500(no payment on it, paid cash) and my husband drives a truck provided by work. So all his car expenses are covered. Aside from that we have the basic bills and food. We manage to put away 1000 a month for savings.

Things all fall into place eventually, as long as you have the will and drive to do better for yourself you'll get to were you want to be.

Honestly speaking, I wish i had stayed at home up until 23yrs old. I would of saved that rent payment every month....lol

good luck, and dont stress it. Everyday is a new day and who knows what opportunities lie ahead for you!!
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm 20, almost 21, and I've lived with my boyfriend on our own since we were 18. We both make $11/hour (40 hours per week) but they are both temp jobs, so in November, we both won't have jobs, so, knowing that, we save every penny. Our rent is $600 (we live in a ghetto *kitten* apartment with 3/6 tenants being known druggies/alcoholics) and we have about $500 in bills every month. We limit our trips out, we ask each other before we buy anything, and we continue to live in our ****ty apartment because we save gas money because we walk to work and it's really cheap for the area we live in, we are very very very good at managing our money (well, at least, I think!) and knowing when to say no to stupid expenses and knowing when to splurge. We have over $10,000 in our bank right now and have absolutely no debt. I left my house at 18 with $70 and I'm very proud of where am I now.

Oh, and a tip! One day we just decided, "If we have less than $100 in the bank, we have NO money." Then it started to get a little bit more and more and more. And I think that is a really awesome starting point. Once you start to build a little savings, life will get easier and easier. Take small steps, only buy what you need, carefully think about your fun expenses, limit eating out, and learn ways to have fun without spending money! :)
  • jly33403
    jly33403 Posts: 49
    Options
    I'll be 22 in a month, and I'm a recent college graduate. I make $15 an hour and in a month I make about $1900. I still live with my parents and give them about 600 dollars a month which covers groceries, phone bill and my insurance payments. Next month I'll start paying them an additional $400 a month for student loans, making my monthly payments about $1000. I'm also trying to save up for a car, but that will have to go slowly, until then, i'm driving my clunker car with no air conditioning.