Healthy Indian Option?

Options
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are meeting friends tonight for curry. What is the best(healthiest) choice for me?

Thanks,

Amber

Replies

• FLCullen
    FLCullen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am really no expert on this, but I think your best bet is to go for tandoori chicken (you know the one that just goes in the over and is especially charred but is sauce-less), although that's a bit grim and not at all in the spirit of curry. I make curries at home via my good friends at Tesco, and it would appear that jalfrezi and madras sauces have the lowest calories and fat, though in a restaurant you have no idea how much oil is used in cooking. I'd stick to the tomato based sauces to ensure general culinary enjoyment, and chicken instead of beef or lamb, because the cuts in curry houses can be fatty. Vegetarian is maybe a good option too. And avoid the poppadoms and naan's (ultimate sad face, as these are yum, especially with a good mango chutney).

....I really want an Indian now.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Tandoori - chicken, shrimp, lamb, veg is all good. Any dish with sauces will likely have a lot of ghee (butter) involved and many are liberal with the cream. Naan is delicious but very high cal so watch your portions!
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Careful of the chicken as well, since they usually use thighs or other dark meat, which is fattier than breast meat.