Need Help With Free-Weight Exercises!

Options
Hey all,

I'm getting into lifting, and lifting heavy, still quite new and I use youtube and things like that but im not sure if im working all the muscles. Anyone know of any good sites that have how many reps of each exercise I should do? Or share your routine? If I dont know what it is I can always youtube it to see how its done!

Any info would be really helpful as I am hitting the gym in a couple hours to try and put this new routine into effect.
Looking for total body exercises that I can use barbells and dumbbells to accomplish.

peace, love & ducks,
Nancy

Replies

• Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    try body building.com, jamie eason has a great workout plan and gives instructional videos on how to perform the exercises.
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    great site! thanks (:
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Anyitme, also pinterest has some great workout routines as well but don't really show you the moves if I do not know something, I just you tube it :)
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    try body building.com, jamie eason has a great workout plan and gives instructional videos on how to perform the exercises.

^^ This ^^ I've looked over her LiveFit program and it looks really good.

Also the Body for Life website has good video demos on free weight exercises
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do New Rules of Lifting for Women program. I haven't lifted before doing this program and I think it's very easy to follow. It's amazing how fast your body adjusts to lifting heavy.

There is a NROLFW group on MFP you should check out.
  • taskeladd
    taskeladd Posts: 3
    Options
    To train maximal strength, explosive strength, strength endurance and hypertrophy at the same time, take a look at this article series on how a strength training program can be put together:

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/concurrent-strategies-in-strength-training-part-1/
    http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/concurrent-strategies-in-strength-training-part-2/
    http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/concurrent-strategies-in-strength-training-part-3/

Part 3 has a couple of sample routines.
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Options
    If someone doesn't have gym equipment or want it try this:

http://www.moneycrashers.com/strength-training-exercises-women/
  • Lenindaire
    Lenindaire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    fitnessmagazine.com they have videos and descriptions.
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You guys are completing my life lol. Really appreciate it!
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do New Rules of Lifting for Women program. I haven't lifted before doing this program and I think it's very easy to follow. It's amazing how fast your body adjusts to lifting heavy.

There is a NROLFW group on MFP you should check out.

Ditto. I just started doing this program too. It's pretty easy to follow and the book has great tips about diet as well. Good luck!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I "cheated." I started working with a personal trainer at my YMCA. My trainer has a great day job. He is a NCAA D1 college weight training coach. In a short time I have learned a lot about the subtle differences a change in motion can make to the focus of the lift.
    I also didn't realize that doing simple squats with a couple 20# dumbbells could work my legs harder that a machine pushing 350#. My legs were killing me a couple days later after the first time. But not anymore.

The exercise tracker here needs more categories of lifts to properly enter everything I do with the trainer.
    Suitcase crunches with a medicine ball. twist crunches with medicine ball.

Have fun. Don't tear any muscles in the process. :)