The balance between eating healthy and enjoying things.

Options

Replies

• curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation is my creed

I do not restrict myself from eating anything. That being said, I no longer eat a whole pizza or 4 brownies or a whole order of fries either. Since I've changed to a more healthy lifestyle, I no longer crave the foods that I was killing myself with by eating in excess.

Enjoy your food and add extra exercise to make room for the calories :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It is a balancing act!!! What works best for me is - Monday through Saturday I'm 'hard-core'....I make healthy choices and stay within my calorie goal and I workout like a beast :bigsmile: Sunday is a 'spike' day...or fun food day, although I'm thinking of changing that name to Bacon Day lol. Anything goes as long as I don't 'binge' and stop eating when I'm full. When I'm on vacation I eat whatever I want!!! I don't get too many of them and I plan on enjoying myself and NOT counting calories! Fortunately my boyfriend and I are really active so even on vacation were hiking, biking, watersports, walking ect, I like to think it evens out the food consumption. And as always.... I make sure I don't overeat or binge.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Some people have made the statement (Your diary is so boring, same things pretty much day in and day out) which it is. I do it that way on purpose. For me I am trying to retrain myself to not think of food as something to look forward to, but something to use to fuel my body. I've had an unhealthy relationship with food all of my life which is why I am now obese. I finally realized for now, I cannot be trusted to really control my eating right now.

Everyone is different, and if you can trust yourself to enjoy food in moderation, then that's awesome!!! But for me, the moderation is the problem, which is why I am doing what I am doing so hopefully it won't always be a problem! :-)
  • iceprincess467
    Options
    Since I started this new lifestyle of healthy, trying to be "clean" eating I really haven't struggled. I have tried many of times to follow programs and have been successful with them- losing 30lbs on Weight Watchers (but then again I was 21 years old, in university, no children and able to spend 2 hours everyday at the gym) 10 years later I am 31 years old, 2 beautiful children (2.5 and 5 months) and am back to the weight I was many years ago when I started weight watchers.

Something really clicked for me this time and maybe it is the fact that while I do care for the number the scale reaches, I don't focus all my energy on that. I really just want my children to see me eat healthy, exercise and be the best I can be. I try to make healthier versions of foods that I love and I have to measure out everything to practice portion control. I've stopped buying "junk" food and have been limiting my processed foods. I switched everything to whole grain and always make sure there are a ton of veggies with my meals- half of my plate is always a vegetable, while the other half is 1/4 lean meat and 1/4 whole grain product (whether it'd be a whole grain rice, pasta or maybe a potato or sweet potato).

My main issue is that I can not have sweets in the house or even bake them because I have a really hard time with self control. I bake cupcakes, there is no way in the world I can only eat just one...it has to be 3 or 4, so I just don't bake them. I made a banana loaf (the only this I have baked since I started this journey 3 weeks ago) and I ended up making a Eat, Shrink and be merry BRANana loaf, with whole wheat flour, flaxseed and wheat germ, I also put more than half the loaf in the freezer.

Really what I am trying to say is don't limit yourself to foods you hate, try and make better versions of the foods you love. To me there is no point in eating foods you hate. Also, have portion control and exercise, even if it is just walking. You can always make the foods you love healthier by opting for whole grains instead of enriched flour, more vegetables instead of startches etc.
  • Snupher
    Snupher Posts: 1
    Options
    That being said, I no longer eat a whole pizza or 4 brownies or a whole order of fries either.

Personally, I have come to a period where my body just can't take the uncomfortable feeling from eating that much anymore. It is really something that shocks me daily.

I think everyone has some good points, it all seems to come down to don't deprive yourself, unless you are willing to deal with it. I ate at red lobster yesterday and couldn't finish something that I would have walked away hungry from in the past. I also want to add, one way to help with those days that you need something that isn't "diet friendly" a glass or two of water before you eat helps take out your appetite and also will help in digestion. The quicker you can move stuff through your body naturally, this isn't advocating for laxatives or so forth (those can be dangerous and cause more harm than good), the better you will feel.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on whether you are dieting or making a Lifestyle change. Either, initially one may have tight restrictions on intake to lose weight and get some understanding where they want to draw the line. After a while people who are making a Lifestyle change will make adjustments, either saying they will use moderation in choosing indulgences (usually a set amt per wk or month) or that they will not have certain things because they can not live with it, it will always be to much of a challenge. A Dieter, however, will eventually go back to eating the way that brought him/her to that point because all they have done is restrict and limit via sheer will power and made no attempt at behavior modification. Dieters will be doing the same thing over and over and over again...So if you are making a Lifestyle change, it will take time for YOU to retrain yourself (about everything relative to food and beverages and activity), to find what will work for YOU. Be PATIENT with yourself and Forgiving when you go off track now and then, just hop back on quickly. Like a child who is learning to walk, every fall informs them of their boundaries and next time they learn to balance themselves better until one day "they get it!".

ETA: If you ever go to PHILLY, FORGET the TV Hype. The BEST Cheese Steak is Jim's on South and 4th Street! Hands Down!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i find that i dont want the crap anymore and i dont find it satisfying at ALL. it just makes me feel like i want to eat real food now LOL i get my kicks off lobster tail or a huge steak way more than the things you mentioned.. thats just me tho! all the other stuff just sounds bleh
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've done very limited diets and while the weight comes off, it always comes back on. Also, I'm really mean while doing these diets, well, meaner than usual. For me balance is about accepting that I won't be the super slim L I once was by clicking my fingers, calorie counting down to the last gram and taking on a huge amount of exercise. This works, btw. Unless someone is suffering a metabolic disorder there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Personally I'd rather take my time, learn to appreciate my food, make a few mistakes, start to enjoy exercise and develop a healthy mental attitude toward the scale.

I think that I'd rather sacrifice a few months of what a lot of people would term good health in order to work my way out of bad habits. Obviously, as you say, life is short, but it's short whether you sort yourself out slowly or go gangbusters and end up right back where you started a year down the track. I do think that where I'm at now is fairly balanced; I eat out often, enjoy dark chocolate regularly, won't cook anything that requires a nonstick pan (to me that says diet) and don't find myself wanting to binge. I'm not going to inconvenience other people while at the opera or theatre by insisting that we can't eat dinner beforehand or have a lovely supper afterward. My favourite theatre is near a brilliant French restaurant that does some of the nicest steaks in Sydney. Damned if I'm going to miss out on that.

That said, I realise my diary probably falls into the 'clean' category. I make pretty much everything from scratch and eat loads of fruit and veg, seeds, nuts, lean meat, tofu, lentils, etc, etc. So if I'm eating good, wholesome, reasonably portioned food most of the week, what are a few great dinners and the odd pistachio macaroon?
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    My question is do you find it hard to find balance in your life? What are your thoughts on this subject?

I see balance in a holistic way.... I don't have 'food' balance and 'exercise' balance, etc. I either feel that I have balance or I don't. E.g., If I have that piece of pizza, is it going to actually make me feel like crap later, and keep me from wanting to go outside and enjoy the sunshine? Or by not having it, am I going to make my friends feel awkward, and is that going to put a dent in my zen for the day? It's all about making each decision consciously, and understanding the risk/reward of what you do and how/why you're doing it. As long as you're clear, and you're making the decision in a deliberate way for clear reasons, there are no regrets, and therefore no impact to overall balance.

Case in point - I had a big family reunion this past weekend, and I ate and drank like the good ol' days on Saturday and into Sunday morning. (It was a really good party.) I also blew off all formal exercise for those two days. Ouch, right? Well, not really. Starting around 2pm on Sunday, I started a 24-hour fast to get my metabolism back into balance, and by noon time the next day, I felt great - all the crappy carbs had been flushed, and I was exercising again. The funny thing is, 3 days later, I'm actually down a few pounds from where I was Friday before the big party.

So I would say, maybe think about expanding how you see 'balance' and the role it plays. It's a life thing, not a food thing.

Good luck!
  • huskergina
    huskergina Posts: 11
    Options
    I have lost and gained back 50 pounds so many times I cant count. So obviously... I like food. That said, I am at a point right now that I am eating to live, and not living to eat. I want to change how I look at food. I dont want eating healthy to be a chore or consume all my energy in shopping/preparing food etc. Because of that , I eat way too many prepared foods.. because they are convenient. Im trying to make sure I get dairy, fruit, and veggies in every day. But it is way too easy to grab a Smart One rather than putting chicken on the grill in this heat we are having.

For me to balance everything in my life and not get stressed out about getting healthier, I have set very few boundaries on myself. I eat 1300 calories daily...and include dairy, fruit and veggies. I do the treadmill for 30 minutes at least four times a week. Once my calories are gone...they are gone. I never eat back my exercises calories.........and that is something that may get me in trouble down the road...I may have to eat a little more.

I am a full time grad student, and I work 25-30 hours a week. I know that I could make better choices, but right now...I am doing OK and staying motivated to make little changes at a time.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    I do not restrict myself too much -- which is probably why some of my weight isnt falling off as quickly as I would like -- BUT i just dont see the point in restricting myself so much that I am miserable. I love to cook and eat all sorts of stuff. I do try to account for it by adjusting the other things i eat during the day... or the amount of food i am indulging in. Personally, if I cut out all of my favorite foods I would probably fail at this. I do sometimes go out of my way to get certain foods that arent as good for me -- on purpose-- to train myself to only eat a certain amount or learn that I can enjoy all kinds of things .. just in moderation. Now as far as cakes and sweets go.. since Im not a big sweets person its much easier to eat a smaller slice of cake.. or none at all... but those french fries are calling my name!! if I get fast food, i try to make it as healthy as I can -- but if I genuinely crave something, i get it (after I have tried drinking water and waiting to see if it will pass). With me, if I crave something really badly, it will not go away until i get it... so i only get a little bit, maybe like a small fry instead of a supersized one.

as far as balancing life -- i find this very hard. I work full time and have 3 kids all 5 and under. I also have a one hour commute to work and again from work. Then I squeeze in an hour of exercise 5 days a week. Pair this with trying to make a good dinner, spending time with the kids... and doing the general everyday household duties and all... its stressful. I am trying to balance things a lot better between family and work and self-health... I plan on doing most stuff with my kids on the weekends.. which means more go-go-go for me ... its very hard to find a time to rest and recharge. My husband is a huge help to me though, we work through both our scheudles and find time to fit everything in ... but its not easy and I feel like I am missing a lot by not spending every spare moment that I have iwth my kids -- a working mothers guilt. I just keep in mind that I am doing the best I can and sometimes my best requires I look after myself so that i can be a better person for my kids. Its a tough spot that a lot of people are in.
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love my food. I am losing weight slowly but surely (averaging a pound per week) and enjoying every bite that I eat. I used to do a lot of mindless eating - the chocolate biscuits have disappeared and only the empty packet remains so I must have eaten them sort of scenario.

My rule is that I have to really stop and enjoy what I eat and as a result I find that I need less to satisfy me. I don't waste calories on a food that is "just OK". If I am going to have fries then they will be steak fries from a local restaurant that I reeeeelllly enjoy and not a poor substitute from somewhere else. If it is cheesecake then it has to be my White Chocolate Raspberry cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory.

I have seen it suggested in various places that if we are "good" most of the time 80-90% then we could/should indulge the other 10% of the time. Luckily I actually love veggies and other good stuff so that helps, but I always budget for a chocolate indulgence EVERY day. Life is just too short to deny myself chocolate!
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    I have one day a week where I allow myself an indulgent meal. I have found that after I eat some of these meals I feel physically terrible, bloated, tired, etc. It sort of makes me wish I didn't eat it, even though I thoroughly enjoyed every bite.

Now, I still have one meal a week that I splurge on, but usually it is something extremely decadent and not so junky. No more taco bell, but a nice meal at the Korean place for veggies and Korean BBQ. Must better trade off, and better use of my excess calories than to waste it on Dairy Queen, or Taco Bell.
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    I am one of the people who can't be very restrictive. If I do, I will feel deprived, rebel and then give it all up. I have set my calorie count to lose slowly, but easily. Also, any day I have extra calories I put them in my "calorie bank" and use them later. So if I am going on vacation I will eat a little less and exercise more, so I have lots of calories to spend and don't feel deprived. The feeling of deprivation will stop me from continuing.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy meals, and I have a reasonable portion of junk food as a snack. I eat chips, chocolate, ice cream, brownies ect once or twice a day. I don't eat wheat or dairy because both give me digestive issues, I don't eat meat for personal reasons so all together that made a vegan diet. For me, the way I eat is sustainable because I am not depriving myself of anything. I don't recommend giving up anything that you enjoy, just to enjoy things in moderation.
  • quattroUnodos
    quattroUnodos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a number for you to live by. Well, technically 4. There is nothing more to this game and this site gives you the tools to count every calorie you consume.

Eating healthy is not avoiding pizza. Eating healthy is not eating salad, raw vegetables, nuts and lean meat. Eating healthy is living by these number(s).

When I was on a 1300-1400 calorie a day diet (with 1-2 hours daily exercise), I did run into these cravings and found resisting eating during the day and mostly eating at night helped a bit. The real problem with hunger is the insomnia it can cause. When I was a wrestler I would toss and turn for hours the night before a weigh in.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I have been working on changing my cravings, and it works. I was practically drooling at the farmers market yesterday with all the beautiful fresh fruits and vegetables.
    But food and friendship and occasions go hand in hand. So when a friend needed a ben and jerrys binge I was there for her. I knew it was coming, exercised my *kitten* off and ate fruit and veg all day so that it came under my limit.
    My husband likes a chinese dinner date, we still do that about once a month, with the same preparations(exercise & eat light)
    My favorite was the sushi binge. I had a friend over we went hiking up a mountain, came back and made as much sushi as we could eat.
    In all I haven't felt deprived. I did have a hard time in the ferry lineup parked next to the fish and chip truck, but lucky I had a snack bag of treats to keep me distracted.
    Balance problems, yes i have them too, but more with focus on this "program" versus looking after my house and home. But my husband hasn't complained and my dog is loving all the walks.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone else.

For me, the key to balance was education. Once I learned (and memorized!) what portion sizes were and how many calories were in a lot of my favorite unhealthy foods, it became easier to restrict.

A slice of pizza is about 400 calories (give or take) so I'll indulge in one and have a giant salad and WATER. Don't ever deprive yourself, just remember your limits!
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    I think I have found more balance with what I eat then I did a few years ago but I could never totally give up junk food! The best thing I have done is eat in moderation because if I try to totally quit a certain food I end up craving it more and going on a binge. I do get made fun of when I just eat 1 cookie or count a serving size of chips but being aware of what I eat without denying myself of those foods has really helped me!
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I try to find balance with these two ideas:

1) Everything in Moderation

2) Be Grateful

The purpose of food is to fuel your body. The gift of food is the wonderful variety of flavors and textures and pairings and art involved in preparing, tasting, and enjoying it! I am grateful that I get to taste and enjoy everything. But I also know that if I abuse that gift, it will come back to hurt me and I won't truly enjoy it (mindless eating, eating out of boredom, eating while watching tv, etc). Same with fitness. I'm very grateful that my body is relatively healthy and can take me places that not everyone is lucky enough to get to or do. The proper use of that gift is to take care of it with proper diet & exercise! The proper use of the gift of taste & food is to enjoy it fully and not take advantage of it! Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. ;)