way's to boost metabolism

Options
I found this today and thoought it may be helpful to some like it was to me

Fuel Up with Water
The body needs water to process calories. If you are even mildly dehydrated, your metabolism may slow down. In one study, adults who drank eight or more glasses of water a day burned more calories than those who drank four. To stay hydrated, drink a glass of water or other unsweetened beverage before every meal and snack. In addition, try munching on fresh fruits and vegetables, which are full of fluid, rather than pretzels or chips.

Sinless Snacking
Eating more really can help you lose weight -- eating more often, that is. When you eat large meals with many hours in between, your metabolism slows down between meals. Having a small meal or snack every 3 to 4 hours keeps your metabolism cranking, so you burn more calories over the course of a day. Several studies have also shown that people who snack regularly eat less at meal time.

Booster Shot: Black Coffee
If you're a coffee drinker, you probably enjoy the increased energy and concentration that follows your morning ritual. Taken in moderation, one of coffee's benefits may be a short-term increase in your metabolic rate.

Now, this one im not so sure about but thought that I would past it ..... I'd like opinions on this one.

Energy Drinks
Some ingredients in energy drinks can give your metabolism a boost. They're full of caffeine which increases the amount of energy your body uses. They sometimes have taurine, an amino acid. Taurine can speed up your metabolism and may help burn fat. But using these drinks can cause problems like high blood pressure, anxiety, and sleep issues for some people. The American Academy of Pediatrics doesn’t recommend them for kids and teens.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I recommend drinking a small glass of water, a shot of espresso, shot of red bull and eating something every 15 min to really turbocharge your metabolism
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I recommend drinking a small glass of water, a shot of espresso, shot of red bull and eating something every 15 min to really turbocharge your metabolism

If taken as a suppository you can get the metabolism boost without the calories!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a PRE-workout powder yesterday. My husband tried it at work and came home raving about it. It's called WHITE FLOOD. Apparently it really gave him a workout boost: Got him started and kept him going through INSANITY. He works at Juvenile Detention and does INSANITY with the teens (for the phys ed.) =)

He should be careful. I have heard some people get really addicted to it., they wind up losing everything and living under a bridge. Some turn to selling their bodies just to get that next fix.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    my metabolism needs a booster seat.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4 cups of black coffee daily, the stuff also suppresses my appetite. I love munching on almonds through the morning and afternoon, good supply of healthy fats and some protein.
  • SuzieMae78
    SuzieMae78 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    THANKS! I've been wanting to find out ways to boost!!
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Now, this one im not so sure about but thought that I would past it ..... I'd like opinions on this one.

Energy Drinks
    Some ingredients in energy drinks can give your metabolism a boost. They're full of caffeine which increases the amount of energy your body uses. They sometimes have taurine, an amino acid. Taurine can speed up your metabolism and may help burn fat. But using these drinks can cause problems like high blood pressure, anxiety, and sleep issues for some people. The American Academy of Pediatrics doesn’t recommend them for kids and teens.

Just a heads up, some recent research came out that suggests Taurine may actually be a downer instead of a stimulant. Not sure where I put the link but maybe you could google it.
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options

Yea, duh. I thought everyone did this already??

I'm burning an extra 1,000 cals per day by eating in 1 bite per minute 24 hours a day.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I note that this thread was started by a female and has many male comments - some very funny, thank-you! I hate to be obvious, but men and women are DIFFERENT. Women will only lose weight by moderation. Oh, yes, the first time you go to extremes it works, the second less so, but by the third time you try boosters and try to work it all off: pppfffftttttt!!! Nothing. Nada. Zero. Trust me, I did it. :blushing:
    I totally agree with the water and black coffee. Women must exercise according to their body types and the more "womanly" your body shape the more conservative, because your hormones will work against you.
    Work with your body, not against it.
    :drinker: <
    one hand water, on hand coffee. :laugh:
    k~
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You guys are sarcastic wise-*kitten*. Love it. I think exercise is the only thing that you need to boost your metabolism. Working out for an hour everyday has helped me the most out of anything I have done aside from reducing my calorie intake to create a defecit (obviously).
  • kristijoanderson
    Options
    Be very careful about what you use as suppositories. The rectum is for the voiding of waste, not the absorption of anything. Abusing this system may end with an unwanted colostomy bag when the rectum has to be surgically removed. Not sexy!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Just a heads up, some recent research came out that suggests Taurine may actually be a downer instead of a stimulant. Not sure where I put the link but maybe you could google it.

Taurine as a downer? That's very strange. I would need to see the so-called study. All the research I have seen is that it has health benefits. Some of the ingredients in energy drinks are no good, but taurine is an amino acid and has a plethora of health benefits.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Taurine as a downer? That's very strange. I would need to see the so-called study. All the research I have seen is that it has health benefits. Some of the ingredients in energy drinks are no good, but taurine is an amino acid and has a plethora of health benefits.

Here's a quote from Mens Health on it "Taurine

What is it?: One of the most abundant amino acids in your brain, where it can act as a neurotransmitter—a chemical messenger that allows your cells to communicate with one another. You'll find anywhere from 20 mg to 2,000 mg of taurine in most 16-ounce energy drinks.

Does it work?: Scientists aren't sure, but it doesn't seem likely. When taurine is dumped into your bloodstream—when you down a Red Bull, for instance—it can't pass through the membranes that protect your brain, says Neil Harrison, Ph.D., a professor of pharmacology at Weill Cornell Medical College.

But even if it could, Harrison's research suggests that taurine might behave more like a sedative than a stimulant. When he and his team applied the amino acid to the brain tissue of rodents, they discovered that it mimicked a neurotransmitter called gamma-aminobutyric acid, or GABA, a chemical that slows brain activity.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/effectiveness_of_energy_drinks/Taurine.php#ixzz21eXjvaUj
    "

I'm currently looking into finding the actual article. Of course, this was in rodents. But it looks like it is 'legit' research and no a 'so-called study' as you say.

Edit: It turns out that what I had was a compilation of research of different ingredients for energy drinks compiled for a symposium. So you can take it or leave it. I don't drink em, but don't diss them for any specific reason. My 'heads up' was merely that.
  • kevans1683
    kevans1683 Posts: 18
    Options
    thanks! im going to look that stuff up!
  • kevans1683
    kevans1683 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for all the reply's guys. All were very helpful!