Getting over a stupid crash diet...

Options
So I should have known better but of course didn't listen. I recently went on a bad crash diet of consuming probably around 500 calories a day or less. It's been 14 days and I want off of it because I see some bad side effects (getting sick/odd BM). I lost around 15 pounds though and don't really want to see it come back in a day. How can I slowly come off of it and not gain all the weight back?

Please no negative feedback because I did realise the mistake and am just trying to fix my metabolism and get some nutrition in my diet asap.

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I would up your calories slowly and include exercise.
    750 calories today, 900 tomorrow, then up to 1200. Do some light cardio each day and get back on track!
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I would guess you might gain around half of that if you've dehydrated yourself. I gained around 4lbs from rehydrating. I'd suggest plenty of veg, preferably raw to get those BM's regular and healthy, and drink lots of water, and maybe a multi vitamin to restore your body for anything you've missed?
  • jusme085
    jusme085 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    what sort of diet was it? just low calorie or low carb or high protein or?
  • ana137131
    ana137131 Posts: 25
    Options
    what sort of diet was it? just low calorie or low carb or high protein or?

ha, master cleanse, lemonade diet. so low calorie, NO protein, NO fat, but plenty of carbs (sugar though).
  • jusme085
    jusme085 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OK well that makes it a little difficult hehe i was going to say try to stick with the kinds of foods you've been eating.

For example, ive done 2 high protein diets for 5 days at a time, about 1 month apart, as my weigh loss keeps stalling. In this time i struggled to reach anywhere near my goal calories 1300 and prob maxed at 800 -900. (So i was consuming less than 40 g of carbs a day and about 100 - 130 g of protein and i think about 40- 50 g of fat)

The first time i did it i finished the high protein diet and went back to eating my full amount of carbs straight away, so back to my normal plan and as a result put on about half of what i lost in that time.

The second time i did it, i finished the high protein diet and slowly introduced carbs back again over a 2 week period and kept it all off.

Based on this principle maybe i would slowly introduce protein and fats back and at the same time lower the carb intake..unfortunately im not really sure of how quick or how much :/

I hope this helps a little, let me know how you go :)
  • ana137131
    ana137131 Posts: 25
    Options
    OK well that makes it a little difficult hehe i was going to say try to stick with the kinds of foods you've been eating.

For example, ive done 2 high protein diets for 5 days at a time, about 1 month apart, as my weigh loss keeps stalling. In this time i struggled to reach anywhere near my goal calories 1300 and prob maxed at 800 -900. (So i was consuming less than 40 g of carbs a day and about 100 - 130 g of protein and i think about 40- 50 g of fat)

The first time i did it i finished the high protein diet and went back to eating my full amount of carbs straight away, so back to my normal plan and as a result put on about half of what i lost in that time.

The second time i did it, i finished the high protein diet and slowly introduced carbs back again over a 2 week period and kept it all off.

Based on this principle maybe i would slowly introduce protein and fats back and at the same time lower the carb intake..unfortunately im not really sure of how quick or how much :/

I hope this helps a little, let me know how you go :)

Sounds like a good idea, thank you! I'm basically just going to slowly integrate everything back in, raising my calories slowly as well, like you said....we'll see what happens!
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    NO meat/fish/other high protein foods at the onset. To the body, protein is very difficult to digest, and a protein shock ain't pretty (especially if you're more than five feet from the nearest washroom!). Start with something extremely light, such as steamed apple and rice (white in this instance, because it's easier to digest), do that for a day or two and then work your way up to steamed vegetables and potatoes. On day three or four you might try scrambled eggs, but I'd wait at least a week before intoducing high protein foods such as meat.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You will see a good portion of it return. At least half I would guess.

It will most likely be ALL water weight that returns. Do not fret on it. Keep more measurements than just the scale. Hips, waist, neck, chest, arms, thighs...
  • thisisheatherr
    thisisheatherr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did the Master Cleanse about 6 years ago for 10 days and when I came off it I did it this way, which worked really well: 1 day of raw juices, then 1 day of fruits & veg, then 1 day with grain added in (I went with oatmeal and white rice), then 1 day with easy proteins added in (I think it was whitefish or tilapia or something like that). By day 5 I was good to eat as normal.

I gained almost everything back within a week. The cleanse was good for cleansing my digestive tract, but not for losing weight. I bet that's why you saw the weird BMs - the citrus and cayenne get stuff out that just sort of aggregates on the inside of your digestive tract. But yep, cleanses may have a short-term weight loss associated with them, but they're not designed or meant for (or good for) long-term weight loss.

Good luck! I'm sure that in a few days your tum will be fine again.
  • Dragana_S
    Dragana_S Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I did this once with lemon detox as you, and I kept my weight down for years.

The trick is to slowly (very slowly) increase calories you take. I started with just juiced food (fruit and veg) for the first week. I would have smoothie with banana and spinach, a lot of orange juice and not too much to begin with. I also made a compotes of prunes, mix it in a blender and drink as a warm drink. Then next week I added vegetable soups and week after soups with noodles and some black bread (not much). Next week I added fish and yoghurt etc. On my first week off the diet (week on fruit and veg juices) I was still loosing weight. I ended up with loss of 10kg after the 7 days of detox plus second week on juices. After a while I was back on eating my normal calories but I introduced the rule of no meals (except tea) after 5 pm. That meant no tv snacks etc.
    It is possible to keep it off but remember, you do not just "get off it" and go back to eating as before. After that diet I never ate the same food. I loved the way I looked so much and I wanted to keep it that way by eating healthy stuff permanently and I learned a lot about cooking and eating healthy. I am now 44 and I exercise 6 days a week doing cardio and strength. I never looked better in my life.