How to stop snacking at night?

Options
Night snacking is my downfall. Anyone have any good tips on how to avoid this pitfall? I know that I snack when I'm bored, but I'll also snack when I'm in the middle of an activity! As in I'll get up, go to the kitchen and grab something, not just snack when it's available in front of me.

Thanks!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I would brush my teeth, floss, and rinse with mouthwash usually immediately after dinner so as to not eat any more that day.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing. I wish I knew the answer. I have tried various strategies, but only limited success. The one thing that does work for me is if I am around other people. Not always an option at night, but when it is, it slows down the beast.
  • kaztaz55
    kaztaz55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I get like that at night, I usually have a big glass of water, or if not too late, I will make a green tea. That usually helps me get my mind off of the snacks.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started. I had to plan for it. I would save at least 100 cals for night snack. I kept low cal sweets around, fun size M&M's or skinny cow ice cream treats so I could satisfy my sweet tooth. I also really enjoy Celestial Seasonings cinnamon apple spiced tea with a packet of stevia. Eventually I was able to break the habit and now I don't have the uncontrollable night urges to eat anymore.
  • karen4801
    karen4801 Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow, we must be identical twins! This is my downfall too. I can be so good all day and then the after dinner demon strikes! Last night, if it didn't move fast enough, I ate it! It was very depressing - but today is another day, I guess I can't have any goodies in the house - it's harder to eat what isn't there!
  • dirtydmvkid
    dirtydmvkid Posts: 184
    Options
    Give yourself a goal. I personally try not to eat after 7pm. Self-control is key. I struggled with it for awhile but after constantly kicking myself in the head for cheating, I got into the habit and mindset of not snacking after the evening meal is finished.
  • E4boys
    E4boys Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, my problem also, but not just at night! People always say to drink water, but that doesn't help me during the daytime. At night, I do drink hot tea which helps.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I save calories for it, and have some of those 40 cal fudge pops, fiber one brownies, yogurt etc, I let myself have one thing. I need something after dinner, but I make one snack really count for me.
  • hijude57
    hijude57 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. But at my age (55) and after having 5 kids I can't drink water or tea after 6pm or I'll be getting up to go to the bathroom all night. Can't eat fruit at night it gives me hearburn. I try to save a chunk of calories for the evening.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    drink hot teas or even better sometime is that 25 calorie hot chocolate from Swiss Miss, try to start making yourself not eat after a certain time and with time that cures that feeling of wanting something. Do something to occupy the mind other than food. it really amounts to that. Good luck!
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep! After my boys go to sleep I used to stay up and watch tv and mindlessly snack. I wasn't hungry. I was tired and thought it was the only way to wind down. Now I just go to sleep shortly after they go to sleep. No more night snacking.
  • kvalmera
    kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing but because my work schedule is so off, I don't get off until 2 or 4am (depending on what time I go in) . I work in the ER and on my feet a lot. I take my lunch between 10pm-midnight but by time I get home, I am hungry!!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    So I'm gonna be honest on how I handled this: I gave in to it. I discovered that the evening was my biggest risk for "cheating" which I define as eating unplanned calories and foods I'm trying to avoid or moderate. Mostly that was sugars and simple carbs. How I handled it was to plan a protein/fat snack in the evening into my calories. Since I plan it and it's within calories I enjoy it without guilt and the protein/fat snack satisfied in a way the simple carby ones didn't.

For protein/fat snack, by the way, read a measured tablespoon of nut butter. But pick your own...
  • SaundraU
    SaundraU Posts: 77
    Options
    I also give in. I allow enough calories for low cal popcorn, 1/2 a Kit Kat bar (hubby eats other half), a chia tea latte (Oregon concentrate and skim milk), and/or a smart ones desert.
  • DEgal99
    DEgal99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    These area great ideas. Thanks!

I think I'll have to try planning for a snack later in the evening. I think it's awesome that people can not eat at night, but I think that way would just set me up for failure.