Help!!! I have a desk job!!!

Options

Replies

• NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I walk back and forth to the printer as much as I can. Also I get up and get a lot of water. Go to the bathroom from drinking all that water lol. And play WiiFit on my lunches at my house :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Desk job too! Fortunately I'm able to get up lot and move around. Plus my walk to and from the office everyday is 2 miles. I usually try to get out and walk a bit on my lunch too.
  • jennjay523
    jennjay523 Posts: 14
    Options
    look into a fitbit... you can sync it to this site! I love mine
  • slyast
    slyast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a thing called a "desk bike" I can't remember the exact name but if you search it on Amazon lots of them come up. It fits under your desk so you can pedal while you're working.
  • joanie1313
    joanie1313 Posts: 17
    Options
    Do you have your own office or cubicle that no one can see you? I sit alot at work although I do have stairs to go up and down every time a customer comes in. I have my own area as I am the engraver so I have a hugh room and I have the radio on and I dance to the music. Just get up and read your emails etc standing and move your body around. Just a suggestion but I dance all over the place in here all by myself. Works for me.
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    I understand!!!! I also am an accountant and work for a CPA firm. I spend most of my day 5 days a week behind my desk. I just joined MFP and I'm going to try to make up for it in the evenings and weekends when I'm home.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well and I have two set of weights (3lb and 10lb) at work and will do various arm movements. I also have a 5lb (I know... not much) kettlebell that I use as well for legs/back. I try to do jumping jacks periodically but depending on how good my hair looks, I may or may not do them....
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and get a 30 minute lunch break--I use it year round (except when there's a blizzard or below 20degree weather!) to walk at a nearby park with coworkers. It's not only great exercise, it's a good way to get away from the computer and challenges of the office.

I also do wall pushups in the bathroom, stretches at my desk, get up and go downstairs or down the hall to speak to coworkers rather than picking up the phone or emailing, etc.

My office mate does situps in our office. Another does calf raises on the stairs...

I also schedule workouts 4 of 5 workday evenings after work, so that helps.

Lots of great ideas here! A desk job does not mean you have to be totally sedentary!
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    i'm also an accountant so i feel your pain but i started my desk job in december and since then i've managed to lose 60lbs key for me is i work out like a beast before and after work so when i'm at work it's more of rest and recoop time also like others suggested i volunteer to do all errands good luck man you can do it
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well and I have two set of weights (3lb and 10lb) at work and will do various arm movements. I also have a 5lb (I know... not much) kettlebell that I use as well for legs/back. I try to do jumping jacks periodically but depending on how good my hair looks, I may or may not do them....

Every little bit helps remember that
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It is tough. I try to move as much as possible like everyone else. Most important, I try to eat small snacks to keep my metabolism running and hydrate enough so I can do workout in late afternoon and evening.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    Im sure someone already suggested it... but what about a yoga ball instead of a chair?? It has to be pumped up really well but the constant need to balance works the core... and you could do various ball exercises while sitting there... I have a desk job where i sit 8 hours a day and this is something that we have been encouraged by management to do... the bicycle thing is a good idea too.. if you want something for your arms or hands.. get resistance bands and you can do those while you are reading email or reports (if they are long emails).
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    i'm also an accountant so i feel your pain but i started my desk job in december and since then i've managed to lose 60lbs key for me is i work out like a beast before and after work so when i'm at work it's more of rest and recoop time also like others suggested i volunteer to do all errands good luck man you can do it

^^^ this is important too! The 'real' workout should be before or after work! I can understand not wanting to sit all day because it is bad for your circulation. But it's best to make some time in your day to get in a good workout!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    get a pedometer and try to beat each days total. It's very motivating when your deskbound and makes you do more trips away from your desk.

^^This! I've been wearing a pedometer EVERY DAY for the last two years. At first, I was logging at least 7,000 steps a day, but now I make it a point to log at least 10,000. I find it very motivating, as I too have a desk job.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Working a desk job was my main reason for gaining a lot of weight. I used to work on my feet and do a lot of heavy liftting, so I stayed relatively slim, even with poor eating habits. Bad eating plus sitting around for 8 hours a day....:ohwell:

So now, I make room for at least 30 minutes a night of exercise. And I am eating healthier, watching portion sizes, and I don't have any high calorie snacks at my desk that I might mindlessly munch on. (Except peanuts, but I have self-control on that one, and they are not within reach.)

Hope that helps.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job 7:45 am to 4:30 pm and I get up at 5:30 am to do my exercises (P90x right now). Then I walk on my lunch whenever possible. I figure that gives me enough exercise time. We all have cubicles because it is LEED standards (how the building is built). Because of the cubicles I don't have an office to exercise in. If I wanted to exercise in the office I would be doing it in front of everyone.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you could request that your work station be modified so that you can stand. I put in this request to my current job in January of 2012 and they are still "thinking about it" ... would be easier if I wasn't just health conscious and had a doctor's note. Crazy eh? ... Maybe it's worth a shot @ your place.

Nadine

Won't your doctor write a note? Why not?
  • nangel4u
    nangel4u Posts: 119
    Options
    That is great what you are doing already but what I would do is maybe get an exercise ball and sit on that for about a hour or so to get some exercise in while you are at work :-)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Im sure someone already suggested it... but what about a yoga ball instead of a chair?? It has to be pumped up really well but the constant need to balance works the core... and you could do various ball exercises while sitting there... I have a desk job where i sit 8 hours a day and this is something that we have been encouraged by management to do... the bicycle thing is a good idea too.. if you want something for your arms or hands.. get resistance bands and you can do those while you are reading email or reports (if they are long emails).

You can actually get them so they look more "office-like" if professionalism is an issue. 41XeH1tiXgL._SS500_.jpghttp://goo.gl/qx2Z8 , though these Swopper-cachet-anthracite2__79424_zoom.jpghttp://goo.gl/PHst1 have the same effect and are considered safer for the office setting.