Do you eat your exercise calories or leave them alone?

Options

Replies

• fatpanda96
    fatpanda96 Posts: 77
    Options
    I try to leave them but sometimes I just get hungry and I worked for the calories so I might as well eat something.
  • Stacylynn1977
    Stacylynn1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I emailed a former contestant from the biggest loser the other day asking this same question, and she told me to leave them alone, if you should get hungry just fill up on veggies

and eat protein with every meal that helps keep you full

MFP says I should eat 2200 calories but I only allow myself 1800 and I stay full just by eating lots of fiber and protein
  • ashtynplatt
    ashtynplatt Posts: 364
    Options
    I don't eat them!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Eat them up - YUM!

A lot of people don't get this... When you set up your MFP profile (personal data, activity level, how many pounds per week you want to lose), MFP gives you a calorie deficit based on this so you can lose weight without exercising. Once you do exercise, you create an even larger deficit. Too high of a deficit and you're not eating enough to fuel the basic functions of your body and therefore you're less likely to burn fat and weight loss will likely stall. Even if you do lose the weight, you're doing it in a very unhealthy way and will likely gain back quickly once you stop your extreme dieting/exercising.

Personally I eat my BMR (1500) plus whatever I earn exercising. I use an HRM though, not what MFP gives me for numbers, so I know it's fairly accurate. If you go by MFP's numbers, I'd still recommend eating some of them back but maybe lower it to 1/2 or 2/3rds. So say MFP gives you 600 calories for an hour of walking at 4mph. You can safely eat back 300 to 400 of those calories without worrying about an overestimate
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    eat. proof? __________________________VVVVVVV :bigsmile:
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I eat them back if I'm hungry....which I usually am after a 3-5 mile run......LOL
    I don't force myself to eat them back, though. I eat when my body tells me I need to eat.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Try eating half of them back and see how it goes. The goal besides losing weight should be to be able to eat more and maintain. If your losing weight with what your doing and your happy with that then don't but if you want to eat more and lose give it a try.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Why do people make this so complicated? If you are hungry, EAT. If you are not hungry, don't force yourself to get those extra calories in. That doesn't even make sense to me lol.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I don't and obviously as there are people on both sides of the question that are finding success I'd say you might have to find what works for you through trial and error.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Here is why you must eat -

Your brain
    Your lungs
    Your heart
    Your liver
    Your kidneys
    Your pancreas
    Your veins
    Your skin
    Your immune system
    Your speech
    Your hearing
    Your wanting to change the channels on the tv
    Your not being able to find the controller
    Your crossing the floor to try to figure out how to do it from the screen
    Your accusing your wife/husband/partner of hiding the controls
    Your walking on the remote in bare feet
    Your loud cursing
    Your eventually changing the channels on the tv
    Anything else I left out

..... this all takes fuel to run. Like a car engine needs petrol, diesel or electricity when it is in motion, 'uman beans (us) need a minimum amount of calories to function. Except we need it all the time, not just when we are hopping around the front room in agony cos we stepped on the sharp edged remote with our little tootsies.

You must burn about 3500cals to lose a lb. A 1000cal a day (7000cal a week) difference between calories burned by living and exercise will mean you lose 2lbs a week.

So if it takes 2200 cals to keep your engine ticking over, eating 1200 with no exercise will mean you lose 2lbs a week.

If you exercise, you use up your cals that your body needs to keep the engine running so you have to eat those to keep you in peak condition. So eating your engine ticking over level + your exercise cals burned keeps your body in tip-top condition and makes you fitter too. WIN.

I currently eat about 1800 to 2000 cals a day and lose 1-2lbs a week.
    My ticking over level is 1280 and I exercise another 700-1000 cals on top of that, most of which I enjoy every mouthful of eating back.

You need to work around with the figures and find out what works for you.
    Some people need to eat up to +350 cals more to lose more (I call them 'lucky bas ... tards') and some have to eat down to -350 cals outside of the range recommended on MFP to lose weight.
    Some have to eat more protein to keep them fuller for longer.
    Some have to eat more carbs as they already have very active lives outside of exercising to lose the weight.
    Some have to take a serious look at their sodium levels

Personally, during my TOM, I take my weightloss goal down to 1/1.5lbs per week because I get so hungry. Works for me and I keep on losing.

Read the motivation stories in the success / motivation forums for the 'how I did it' accounts. They tell a consistent story of eating back your exercise cals.

Eat as many of them as it takes to give you the energy to keep working out. Besides, they are the ones that test the best
  • neptuneiscrashingdown
    Options
    Nope. I always try to eat my 1200/day in food. I hate going over.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have found that I'm not as successful if I eat my exercise calories back. I leave them, but if I am hungry and they are there, I by no means starve myself. They are more of a buffer if I feel I need more food, but not necessarily what I have to eat.
  • ansy96
    ansy96 Posts: 55
    Options
    It depends on how many calories I have burned, e.g. when I'm in the swimming pool swimming for about 5 hours I can't eat all my calories but I eat some of them. When I'm in the gym I burn about 800 calories so I eat 0-400 cals, it depends on how hungry I am.

So eat if you're hungry !!
  • Redskins76
    Redskins76 Posts: 68
    Options
    I am 50/50 depending what day of the week it is. During the week I mostly stay in my calories and the weekend is where they help out. (pk&sk)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level to "sedentary" (basically just my BMR) to make sure I eat at least my BMR. So yes, I do "eat back" exercise calories. Why WOULDN'T you eat more on exercise days, when your body requires more calories?
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating back exercise calories now because I've manually changed my caloric intake number to my TDEE-15%, so I already have my normal exercise number worked it. Since I'm eating under my TDEE, I don't feel bad about it if I DO eat a little of it back.

If you are using MFP's numbers, you should eat back a portion of your calories burned- not all, because it's inaccurate what they have for a burn. I'm starting to lose decently now that I've actually done up my numbers and am working with them instead of counting on MFP's numbers.

This is a really good resource if you want to do your own numbers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It depends. I might save them up and splurge on the weekend, if I have something planned. Or I might want a dessert that night. Or, I might just be hungry, especially if I had a particularly intense workout.

My only rules:
    Calories in- Calories Out
    Get enough protein
    Get enough fiber
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Eat! And then some on most days! But seems to work for me :)
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options
    I strongly believe that if you eat the calories you just burnt, what are you losing? Nothing really since you're stashing all those calories back into your system. I log my workouts but stick to my 1200/day calorie intake in order to really see those changes. I eat healthy and exercise every day.... there's nothing wrong with not consuming the extra calories. Do what works best for you and good luck! :)) :))
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat them then I suggest you change your activity level to active or very active. This will give you more calories each day and essentially averages out your exercise cals for the week, instead of day to day.