Learning how to get a consistant pace

Options
I have signed up for my first Marathon in January 2013, but I am noticing that I do not maintain a consistant pace while running. I have never been a runner. I am more of a play sports while running kind of girl. I am using the run/walk interval training from Jeff Galloway. I currently do a 5 min run to 1 walk. Can anyone give me some tips and tricks to keep myself at a consistant pace so I don't speed up too quickly and have nothing left at the end of each interval?

Replies

• fritz_gomromper
    Options
    I don't have the answer, but on a different but related note, I find me messing myself up sometimes by syncopating my breathing badly with the cadence of my steps. I get caught up in keeping breathing time with the rhythm of my steps or paces, which sometimes forces my breathing and leaves me out of breath. Does this happen to anybody else? I tend to do better when I divorce my breathing completely from paces in walking and running and just try to slow down my breathing, inhaling deeply through nose and exhaling through mouth (independent of what my legs are doing). This is exactly the opposite of what one does in, say, martial arts - where synchronizing breathing with movements is THE KEY to generating power and endurance. Any thoughts?
  • katrinastone1
    Options
    You're not going to love me for this one Darsh....but I think every other interval training day should be on a treadmill.....and then try to replicate it on the road.....
  • Runchick262
    Runchick262 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to invest in a Garmin (or other brand) watch. I'm training for my fourth marathon and this is the first year I have used a watch during training season. I cannot believe I ever trained withoout one now! It will make all the difference in learning your pace and heart rate. I now know my marathon pace based on my heart rate and same for my 10k speed race. Look on ebay/craigslist for ones on sale!! Good luck and keep it up!
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    My suggestion would be to invest in a Garmin (or other brand) watch. I'm training for my fourth marathon and this is the first year I have used a watch during training season. I cannot believe I ever trained withoout one now! It will make all the difference in learning your pace and heart rate. I now know my marathon pace based on my heart rate and same for my 10k speed race. Look on ebay/craigslist for ones on sale!! Good luck and keep it up!

If you can't, try any of the android or ios apps if you've got a smartphone, they can track your pace with GPS, but obviously without the heart rate monitoring unless you've got a bluetooth HRM.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    WOW. You are going from never being a runner to a marathon? Big goal.

The only thing I can tell you is time will tell. After you become more experienced you will learn your pace. I read an article that says if you can sing while you run your pace is too slow but if aren't able to talk you pace is too fast. I have found this helpful.

I LOVE running. I am doing my first 5k Sunday and after each goal I meet I will pick a longer race. I am registered for a 4miler in Sept. After that I will do at 10k and so on.

Best wishes marathoner in training:)
  • melindadunston
    Options
    Oh...also love map my run app. It's awesome! It tells you what your current pace is!
  • Aj722
    Aj722 Posts: 12
    Options
    There are some really good, and free, marathon plans. I'd for sure find one that works for you. Some of them have limited interval training, but the majority of them start you running 15-20 miles a week and build from there. I think most of the programs are 16 weeks long, so you could start with a 10K plan, and after you do that move to the marathon one. You'll have a stronger base by then. GOOD LUCK!!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You would never run at a constant pace. As you get fitter your time will quicken

Personnally my first two miles are usually quite slow, and when running with a friend, who i am much fitter and fadter than, I struggle to keep at his pace for the first two, and then last mile always pretty fast.

Slight slopes, inclines, wind etc will change your pace. Don;t be worrying and Sept 2013 is a long way off, you'll be fine

Just get some miles into the legs and then start worriying about pace

To increase your speed you need to do FARTLAC/FARTLEK training.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've started using a garmin, and on the recommendation of a lovely friend on here, am using the McMillan calculator and a good running programme, which includes tempo and interval running. This is getting me used to how different paces feel, and also to what pace I need for different kinds of distances. It's incredibly helpful.

I've used a standard training programme from runnersworld, but you can input your data and get one tailored for you on there, too.

Good luck! I'm also hoping to do a marathon in the not too ridiculously distant future, but don't want to commit till I get through my second half marathon.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I have signed up for my first Marathon in January 2013, but I am noticing that I do not maintain a consistant pace while running. I have never been a runner. I am more of a play sports while running kind of girl. I am using the run/walk interval training from Jeff Galloway. I currently do a 5 min run to 1 walk. Can anyone give me some tips and tricks to keep myself at a consistant pace so I don't speed up too quickly and have nothing left at the end of each interval?

You can buy pacers that beep for each footstrike and you can set any pace you like. There are lots of brands but here's one that's just $26. You measure your stride length and set the number of strides per minute that corresponds to the speed you want to achieve.

http://goo.gl/4wvZs
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

You can buy pacers that beep for each footstrike and you can set any pace you like. There are lots of brands but here's one that's just $26. You measure your stride length and set the number of strides per minute that corresponds to the speed you want to achieve.

http://goo.gl/4wvZs

Step per minute doesn't translate directly into pace. Most efficient runners turnover 160 to 180 steps per minute whether at 7:00 min mile or 4:30 mile. This tool would be great to teach proper turnover, but it's not going to help with pacing.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

Also, you are at the early stages of running, so just forget anout pace altogether. Concentrate and lenghten the amount of time you are running. Once you get to a stage that you are doing 5, 6k, you pace will start to quicken

As for tricks, there are none is distance running, you either do it, or don;t

And lastly, congrats, the first few weeks are the hardest(and least enjoyable)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Mostly it just comes with experience. You will come to know whether the pace you are running is one you can keep for a long time or whether its going to crash you in the next ten minutes.

Also, a garmin helps a lot.