Any success stories with the 17 day diet plan?

Options
Hi all:

I'm just reading the "17 day diet book".....does it work.....or is it a gimmick? Please share your input and experience if you have tried it!

Replies

• fitmommy75
    fitmommy75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that completed it and lost about 20 lbs. She regained the weight a few months later. I personally think it is a gimmick. Anything that allows you to lose weight that quickly can't be good for your body.
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that completed it and lost about 20 lbs. She regained the weight a few months later. I personally think it is a gimmick. Anything that allows you to lose weight that quickly can't be good for your body.

Yea....you're probably right.....I'm just really trying to break a plateau!!!:sad:
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, there is a cycle in the book...4, that helps you keep off the pounds you lost. I know 3 people here at work that have done it and none of them have regained the weight back because they are on a healthy lifestyle track to keep it off. I started it today myself (after they told me great things about this diet) with the mindset that it's a lifelong commitment to eat healthy and exercise. One of the husbands did this diet and lost 50 lbs and has kept it off.
  • Shrinkdarling
    Options
    My mom and uncle both did the 17 day diet and would swear by it, they lost a lot of weight and are keeping it off. My mom went from bring in the 170's to the 130's after cycling through the diet twice. A lot of diets "work" though, it's how you treat your body after the diet that decides whether or not the weight will stay off.
  • jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started the 17 day diet 15 days ago and lost more than 10 pounds so far. My next weigh in day is tomorrow. Im not hungry which is helpful and the short cycles of 17 days seems achievable. The food is clean and i think yummy withlimited lean meats protein and veggies for carbs. I dont think it is a gimic.

The basic routine is that this is 3 cycles of 17. The first cycle is really about detoxing our livers and stopping our addiction to sugar. It worked because I passed by fresh donuts (my nemesis) yesterday with not a hint of temptation. I know much of my current loss is water but 10 pounds in water is nothing to laugh about as it has slimmed down my stomach dramatically. Im thrilled it happeed so fast. I know im eating very low calories but i can do it and feel great because of the types of food im eating.

If this was all there was, I would not be impressed. I have lost weight on similar diets as cycle 1 but my weight loss stalled and I got bored my the linited food. But as cyle 1 ends im getting excited. This is when our diets enter body confusion with alternating calorries each day. This is a trick done by body buiders in competition but i never knew how to do it safely. I see cycle 2 like how we need to shock our muscles in weight training when we stall by doing new exercises. Cycle three is the most lax and then we return to cycle 1. I dont think it is a gimic.
  • JessicasGold
    JessicasGold Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First time I did the diet, I lost 14 pounds in the first two cycles, and then stopped following it because that's all I needed to get back on track to eating properly. I lost another 15 pounds after stopping the diet.
    Honestly, it's a wonderful way to get back on track.
    The last two weeks I've been on vacation with my family and got into a few bad habits... The first cycle really throws me back into a healthier lifestyle. I am working out, so I just get more calories from lean proteins and lots of veggies :)
    Anything to do with weightloss can be considered a gimmick if we make up enough excuses.
    Doing a workout program and dieting for 30 days will get you good results, but you will always pile back on the weight and lose muscle tone if you resort to old ways, after those 30 days. There is no quick fix, ever.
    I will probably keep the 17 day diet in my routine for life, and use it anytime I have a few too many slip ups.
  • marebugare
    Options
    Hi, I just started the 17 day diet 3 days ago. I would have to agree with the other posts that any diet can be a gimmick. What I like about this one is that there are different cycles and you gradually reintroduce carbs. I could not do anything long term if it did not include carbs.
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I had great success using the 17 Day Diet. In fact, I plan on re-starting it the beginning of next week. It's not a gimmick and i really don't think that you lose a lot of weight too quickly. The first couple cycles you do because you're cutting out most carbs. Cycle 3 was by far my favorite and I continued to lose weight at a rapid rate even when the carbs came back into my diet. I would definitely give it a shot. At least go through the first 3 cycles and see how it goes. If you hate it, you don't have to continue, but what do you have to lose by trying it out??
  • fitnotfat155
    Options
    I'm glad to see others trying this diet and that they were successful!

I just finished my first week of Cycle 1, and I feel much better. I've lost 3 pounds, not as much as I thought I would, but I don't care so much about that as I do about breaking my addiction to sugar! I had a terrible, awful, really really really bad sugar problem. I was aware of it but just couldn't seem to break it.

I think this diet is pretty well-balanced, even in Cycles 1 and 2. You are still allowed fruit (which has begun to taste much sweeter than it used to now that I'm not eating sugar) and the carbs are not terribly low (as they are in Atkins) so I don't feel grumpy or lightheaded. The calories come from healthy, clean foods and I like that. I feel like this is just what I needed to get myself eating more healthy food, and along with my new Fitbit, moving more. I anticipate going through all three cycles, and if I still have weight to lose at the end of that then I'll continue.
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I followed this diet from january to may and lost almost 40 lbs. I was also working out, running, swimming, biking. I stopped and got VERY VERY LAZY, picked up old habits and gained back about 20. I restarted it today. You have to go into this diet like it is alifestyle change, not a quick fix. If you return to old habits, you will return to the old you...
  • jrluck
    Options
    I did the 17 day diet about two years ago and had a lot of success. I started at 375lbs when I did it and went threw the cyles twice (102 days) and lost 90lbs. I kept it off for about a year and then went back to old habbits and put 20lbs back on. I started it again this week because I still want to lose more and get down to my goal weight. I am on day 5 of cycle 1 and have lost 7lbs. My success is a lot different than those around me due to the amout of weight I needed to lose. Due to my success people around me were trying the diet and were succeeding as well. I would hightly recommend it but remember it is a life-style change and you have to be committed to it. This 1st week is tough but by the end of the 2nd week it gets pretty easy.
  • momkeena
    momkeena Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did the first two cycles and lost 10 pounds. Then summer hit, vacation food and all, so I put it all back on. There does seem to be a general consensus that it works, but you have to keep up the healthy choices in order to keep it off. And isn't that true of any weight loss program? You just can't lose the weight, and then go back to old habits.
  • brlady21
    brlady21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did Cycle 1 and lost 14 lbs. Like other post, I did NOT proceed to the other Cycles as instructed. I then started Ideal Protein and after 2 months of using the products, I broke out in hives. My doctor put me on Prednisone (UGH!!!) and told me to start using the products since it was the only new thing I had added to my diet. I am going to start back on the 17 day diet (all REAL food) and proceed through each cycle as instructed. I do think if you live this program you will keep the weight off.
  • hillleon
    hillleon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Started in March of 2011, did it non stop until the beginning of may lost 27 pounds, kept it all off during the summer! and now im back at it again wanting to loose my last 15... i already hit 30! IT doest work! it really shows you how much junk you put in your body! everyone should be eating like this! No process food makes the difference
  • Chloedeniz
    Chloedeniz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started today. I have energy and no crave sugar. I believe so much in Cutting carb especially not eating bread will help me a lot
  • lezonline7
    lezonline7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 pounds in the first cycle and cheated (bad) both weekends! I love this diet. It's a no brainer diet for me because I don't have to count anything. The limitations around fruit was a challenge for me but I have made up for it by exploring new veggies
  • mainecyn
    mainecyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is anyone that was on this "diet" still doing it, and if so what are your results. I am "behind" I guess and had never heard about it, don't watch a lot of tv, etc. I like the focus on whole foods, natural foods, and portion control. I know it is basically preaching what everyone always says, eat less, exercise, cut out sugar, fat etc. but I think for a lot of people putting in this form, presenting it to them as a guide, seems to help. I don't know the mentality of it, but maybe its just having something to physically refer to (the book) and put it in black and white, that appeals to most people who read these "natural food" type diets. Yes it seems like common sense, but its all in presentation. I have lost almost 100 lbs on my own the past few years and am just really looking for something, like this plan, that helps me stay on track.
  • istareyes
    Options
    Can someone tell me what is the 17-day diet plan? :)
  • inittoloose10
    inittoloose10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too am curious.