Do you eat your exercise calories or leave them alone?

Options

Replies

• NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Heck Yes I eat 'em! Well, some of them, anyway... I try to burn enough calories during the day to create a LARGE ENOUGH deficit, so I feel like eating a little "poorly" , I can without throwing my diet off. Works for me.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I try to eat them all because then I'm still netting only the 1280 MFP sets for me.
  • snowyd20
    snowyd20 Posts: 176
    Options
    Leave em!
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat them back only to get to get to net of at least 1200. Like someone said, that's hard some days if you're burning 1000+ calories to eat back ALL of your calories and i'd be too scared to do that.
  • TrutHurtZ
    TrutHurtZ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually eat most back ;-)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Most day I do eat them. lately I have been trying to cut back on doing that, even though I am maintaining my weight, i still want to lose 6 more pounds, and I think not eating them I will be able to achieve that...but I get hungry!! 1200 is not enough for me...might have to up it to 1600 - 1700 :grumble:
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself about TDEE and BMR, and yes eat those exercise calories. That is part of MFP's plan. When you chose the activity level, MFP created your deficit based on that. So it is important to eat those calories back, otherwise you will be depriving your body!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone is different and you need to find what works for you. That being said, over the years I've come to learn that I needed to eat back ALL my exercise calories in order to lose weight. Same goes for maintenance. The more active I am the more I get to (have to) eat. But that's what works for me.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The idea of eating your exercise calories is so that you eat less than you burn, but still get enough nutrition to be healthy. If you're eating 1200 and burning off 500, you aren't leaving a lot of fuel for your body.

The 1200 minimum is mainly becasue it's difficult to get all of your body's needed nutrients (not calories/energy needs) on less than that. If those 1200 calories are healthy calories, you're probably good to go.

Having an extreme caloire deficit isn't good either, but a small(er) person with a low bmr doing lighter exercise is just fine on a 1200 cal diet and not eating back exercise calories.

I eat 1200-1300 on weekedays and generally don't eat my exercise cals back unless I'm really hungry, and then it's usually just a 100 cal snack. This allows me to eat a bit more on a Fridya or Saturday (closer to 1800) and still see good losses for the week.

I work a desk job and am not exercising a ton right now, though. As I increase that, my calories will probably increase slightly.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Another one of these threads? You guys should start by reading the stickies. Super helpful on stuff like this.

polar-bear-facepalm.jpg
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options
    I on the othe hand feel I have earned them so they are mine to eat, and I do.

I totally agree :) I personally just eat when I feel I need to eat and do my best to get an hour of exercise a day, more if I can manage it. I think it's more personal choice and can't you just deduct your exercise calories from your normal calories, so to speak?
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    I don't eat them. I DRINK THEM!!!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I don't have 'exercise calories'. I use a Fitbit to track my total expenditure. If I do some workout the Fitbit doesn't track, I don't worry about it. It's usually kettlebells or cycling and it's not that huge a burn in the big picture.

The 'facepalm' pics are just so adorable and inoffensive. /sarcasm
  • lowry12
    lowry12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i generally never eat back my burnt cals i dont see the point your working out to burn calories just to turn around and eat those calories back??? wth im good i eat and i burn and most of the time it tells me im not eating enough because i burnt more then i consumed but,,,,,, im not hungry and i dont feel run down or anything so my body is saying hey wth adn if i do feel hungry i eat sumthing light fruits or thin wheats (my fav)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Nope. Mine are already figured into my calorie goals.

I eat 1900 cals every day, whether I work out or not. I just make sure I bust *kitten* when I work out so that I can justify having an active lifestyle.

It comes out to about the same if I used MFP's method....1200 cals + exercise cals or my TDEE - 20%. For me it's a mental thing...I did not like having to workout so that I could eat more. On non workout days I would feel so deprived.

I do this. I set my calories manually to TDEE - 20% and eat that amount every day whether I exercise or not.
  • ourwickedlies
    ourwickedlies Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I only eat what I'm hungry for, but I always make sure I get over 1200 regardless. However, I do get a lot hungrier when I workout so I usually end up eating most of my exercise calories back.
  • JessMySize
    JessMySize Posts: 130
    Options
    Okay, I might get people a LITTLE offended, but this is the best way it works for me.

I drink 8 glasses (or near, or a little more) of water each day.

I exercise, but I don't add the exercise onto MFP, simply because I can't find it...
    but only eating what they give me is my plan, if I need a few extra calories, then I'll add some exercise.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat them all back. But I usually do eat extra on work out days. If I feel full I don't want to force myself to eat.
  • mswn02
    mswn02 Posts: 38
    Options
    I, unlike most people on this forum, do not think it necessary. Eat if you're hungry! I end up eating like 80 - 100 back after intense workouts. My goal is 1200/day.

I personally don't agree with the "eat if you're hungry" attitude that a lot of people have toward weight loss. I believe that you should NEVER let yourself even get hungry. I call it "staying ahead of the hunger" which works well for me. My metabolism is "off the chain" nowadays; I eat every 2 to 3 hours a day. I'm rarely hungry when I eat, because if I waited until I was hungry, I'm guaranteed to overeat. (By "hungry" I can only compare it to my previous eating habits when I thought I was hungry all the time or would wait until I'm nearly about to pass out from hunger then would sit down and eat large meals consisting of obscene size portions.) So yes, I do eat back some (or on other days, most) of my exercise calories. Because for me, it is more important to eat on a regular schedule. Ten months later, I've lost 50 pounds ... AND COUNTING!
  • laurenmcallister
    laurenmcallister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat extra food so I can use enough to fuel the workout. I am too hungry and can't perform well if I don't.

That being said, today I'm starving so I'm going to eat more!