What's your food budget for HEALTHY food?

Options
We used to be able to eat on a budget of $200 a month for 6 people. We are huge couponers so that's how we ate so cheap. When we decided to start eating healthy we increased our budget to $250 a month. However we are constantly going over so it's not realistic. I already do a lot of cost saving techniques so I do believe our budget is as low as we can get it but I was curious as to how much everyone budgets each month for food.

Replies

• belle_7
    belle_7 Posts: 18
    Options
    My mother buys alot of frozen veggies, she get a ton of fruits and freezes alot of them because she blends up alot.. Im a pescatarian so she gets me the packaged fish and veggie burgers and she goes to the market instead of the grocery store and buys chicken and lets them cut it up then she will bring it home and clean it and peel the skin off and freeze it.. we are big snackers so she will go to BJ's or costcos and buy all the really big stuff like pretzels and crackers etc and it last us for a while... The thing is its only 3 of us in the house but im sure it will stretch for the 6 of you all... Shop in bulk it last longer...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Honestly, our food budget is $100/week for a family of four. And that's without fresh fruits and veggies. (We buy the cheaper frozen/cans)
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    300 a month for my 2 year old and I plus I babysit and feed another 2 year old.
  • MissShancey
    MissShancey Posts: 464
    Options
    100 dollars a week for 2 adults and a 7 year old ... we only eat fresh natural food ... fruits, veggies, chicken, fish, whole grains.
  • nicosland
    nicosland Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of skinless boneless chicken breasts and I try to buy a lot of it to stock up and freeze it when it is on sale for $5.00 a pound (it's usually $10.00 a pound).

I try to buy frozen vegetables when they're on sale as they're cheaper than fresh and last longer, though when they are on sale for a small bag it's usually $3.00 a bag so it quickly adds up. Cheaper fresh vegetables here are hard to come by, sometimes you can get a head of romaine lettuce on sale but it's usually about $3.00 a head when regular priced.

I also try to buy frozen berries as they last longer and are usually cheaper at about $5.00 per small bag. Fresh berries here in the summer aren't too bad $4.00-$5.00 a tub depending on the berry but they go moldy quite fast so you have to eat them fast.

Basically I just try to stock up on my regular pantry items when they're on sale so that it reduces how much I have to spend. But I normally spend about $100 a week on buying healthy food (with no take out meals) and have been averaging this since I started my healthy eating in March. Things are not cheap in my neck of the woods.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    family of 5--I'd guess about $500+
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    We spend between $500-$600 per month for 2 adults and a 3 year old. It really depends on where you live and what you're eating. The better for you the more it cost.

I should add I live in Canada and groceries can be quite costly here.
  • RebeccaRivastx
    Options
    I have a family of 5 and we spend about $120 a week. I also do alot of couponing for the kids' snacks and such. We also grow fruit and veggies in our backyard (the ones we eat alot of) like oranges, tomatoes, watermelon, peppers, herbs, etc. You may want to think of having a garden even out of pots if you don't have the space, or "pick your own" establishments.
  • sanguinepenguin
    Options
    I buy in bulk and freeze EVERYTHING. I just froze zucchini strips for lasagna... have no idea how that will work out. But when it comes to berries, I can find them pretty cheap at the commissary and will go ahead and buy the big box, and then freeze most of them. I blend a lot too, but they can be used in baking, tossed in with oatmeal, or allowed to thaw if you need them for something like a salad. I do think the best way to freeze stuff, if you have time and space, is to lay the pieces on a baking sheet in one layer and freeze like that, then transfer to a freezer bag. Less damage and usually more compact. Otherwise, I shop at Costco/Sam's Club for non-perishable items or things like yogurt (HUGE savings on Fage at Costco!!!) and spinach that I eat almost everyday and so won't go bad.
  • mojox2003
    mojox2003 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I usaly spend about £65 a week and that feeds a family of 6 with wholesome meals and fresh fruit and frozen veg.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've been told my budget's quite high, but my partner and I eat a lot of meat (meat once or twice a day) which is expensive and my partner eats a lot in general as he's on a constant bulk (very lean naturally, trying to add size) Plus quite a bit of fresh fruit & veg. So I think it's quite good, we certainly don't get to eat whatever we fancy!

Our budget up until now has been £300 ($464) a month for the 2 of us. That was very hard to stick to, and since I've now got a job it's just been upped to £400 ($619) a month, which is slightly more relaxed.
  • nathaliasmommy
    nathaliasmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We spend between $500-$600 per month for 2 adults and a 3 year old. It really depends on where you live and what you're eating. The better for you the more it cost.

I should add I live in Canada and groceries can be quite costly here.

I live in canada too and it gets expensive, before eating "healthy" I would spend about 400 month on food....after choosing to eat healthy i can spend anywhere from 600 - 800/month on food and its for 2 adults an 10 and 2 yr old..i also try to buy thing on sale
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    Oh girl, because we do no eat much processed food (that is what I find most of all the coupons are for...maddening) we spend at least $600 a month on food for a family of 4. But we do this because we believe it's good for our health, its an investment, a priority. I am 39 and people are always amazed that I am not on any meds. Yes, I'm overweight, but I am healthy. At least for now, I know it will all catch up with me later in life that is why i am trying to lose the weight now.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I spend $100/wk for myself and a toddler.

You can still find coupons for healthier things. If there are certain products you like, make sure you sign up for their newsletters to they will send you coupons.
    There is also this website-
    http://print.coupons.com/couponweb/Offers.aspx?pid=15046&zid=uw18&nid=10&bid=alk06290906482cac7c5267216
    That features natural and organic products.
    And this site that gives links for popular products-
    http://healthylifedeals.com/organic-printable-coupons-2/