Eliptical vs Treadmill ?

Options
Which one burns more Calories overall ?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Depends on what you are doing on the treadmill. If you are strolling along at 1.4 mph, then it's going to burn a lot less than if you are running 10 mph at a 8% incline.
  • jedigrover
    jedigrover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The one that gets you on it & moving. It's YOU burning the calories, not the infernal machine.

Seriously.

I can't abide pounding on a treadmill, but an elliptical is more "fun" and holds my interest. That's my personal preference. Others will have the opposite preference.

Remember: if you use them as a clothes rack they help you burn exactly 0 calories.

So whichever one gets you going, is the one that will help you burn the most calories!
  • WAM777
    WAM777 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Depends on what you are doing on the treadmill. If you are strolling along at 1.4 mph, then it's going to burn a lot less than if you are running 10 mph at a 8% incline.

Same could be said for the Elliptical. I prefer the elliptical due to the less impact strain and use a high setting of resistance.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I have had both. I feel like lost more on my treadmill then my elliptical. Exerting about the same amount of energy. I'm sure it depends on a lot of different variables but I prefer running for cardio, I just get a lot more enjoyment out of it I guess and my b/f swears by running (and he's in the military) so I, think running is better for you all around.
  • decdav
    decdav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If they have a METS display, use that as a guide to the effort. The dreadmill will help you burn about 100 calories per mile so if you’re on the Elliptical using the same METS level you’ll burn just as many calories in the same amount of time.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you're capable of staying on long enough to hit your target heart rate for an extended period of time.
  • GCJoyner
    GCJoyner Posts: 1
    Options
    i'd say Eliptical b/c it seems to me that there is more resistance and therefore it takes more cardio