Model abs vs bodybuilder abs

Options
Can someone explain the difference between the process (diet and exercise) of getting model abs versus bodybuilding abs?

like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/ndrea77/Me/miranda_kerr_swim_april_20_big.jpg

VERSUS this: http://sixpacknow.com/images5/toned_abs_woman.jpg

Miranda Kerr is lean and toned but mostly you just see the line down the middle of her abs, not really a 6-pack. In the second picture, the abs are more visible and more, for lack of a better word, ... bulky? Can someone enlighten me?

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    model abs and bodybuilder abs are probably pretty much the same. bodybuilders just 'cut' before competitions so they have a really really low BF%. try to google some pics of those girls off season - they look amazing.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No. I can't. But it looks like model #1 has a higher body fat %
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain the difference between the process (diet and exercise) of getting model abs versus bodybuilding abs?

There are two issues. First of all the easiest thing to explain is the body fat % you have. The leaner you are the more your abdominal muscles will show. If you don't want to see the individual sections of the abdominal muscle just don't lower your body fat so much. That's easy to do. Just ask anyone to raise their shirt and, nope, no visible abs. Body fat is too high. Find a reasonable BF % for you and stick with it. If it gets too low then just adjust your calories up a tad and there you go.

The other issue is size and density of the abdominal muscle. If you want a nicely defined middle without the bulk do exercises like planks and side planks and skip any weighted abdominal exercise. Do things that stress your abs without actually damaging them so they rebuild thicker and fuller.

Lastly genetics. Some people have more defined abs than others and there's nothing you can really do about it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    miranda_kerr_swim_april_20_big.jpg

toned_abs_woman.jpg
  • Rae6503
    Options
    The first woman has very little muscle. They might have about the same body fat percentage but with little muscle tissue nothing shows. The second woman has probably done several "bulk and cut" cycles where she purposely put on muscle (heavy lifting and eating 3000 calories a day) and then lost fat slowly. There's also probably a genetic element. The second woman might build muscle slightly easier than the first (I do).
  • Rae6503
    Options
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Assuming the same body fat %, you get bodybuilder abs by doing strength training exercises with added weight. The goal is to build the muscle to be larger. Although, I would hardly classify the 2nd pic as "bodybuilder" abs.

The "model" abs are more from doing crunches and the typical bodyweight exercises.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Flexing matters, too. I don't have low enough BF for visible abs, but what I have is rock hard when I have my abs tensed, and softer with that vertical line when I'm relaxed.

And I don't think anyone accidentally ends up with a visible six pack. :wink: It takes a lot of effort.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

That picture is off.

The difference between model vs bodybuilder abs would probably be steroid usuage, muscle size, and bodyfat percentage.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    All else being constant, the bodybuilder type (shredded body with muscle definition, vs flat and smooth) either has less fat, same amount of muscle. OR, same amount of fat, with more muscle.

You can either shred your body by getting your BF% so low that the little muscle you do have shows through your skin... Or you could lift heavy *kitten* (preferable)

PS: I don't think I'd call model #1 "toned" at all. She's svelte but if someone is "toned" I would expect to see some musculature. She's soft all over. Also I know people get up-in-arms about FOTOSHOPPZ but she's obviously had some retouching done around the middle.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd assume that the model does very little strength training (maybe a little?) and has abs like that through a very good diet, low body fat and that's about it. There's not much muscle there, it's more just like a flat stomach. This would be a lot easier to achieve IMO, although still quite hard unless you're genetically inclined to be that small.

The second woman (I would KILL for her abs!) obviously works out a lot, lifts weights, spends a lot of time specifically on looking that way. Plus her body fat looks lower, which would make the abs more defined. This wouldn't come along my accident, it takes a lot of hard work! I'd assume a great deal more effort and time than it would to look like her, than to look like the model.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I'd be good with either body *LOL*
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    miranda_kerr_swim_april_20_big.jpg

I feel like Miranda Kerr's boobs are staring at me. :embarassed:
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    And lest we forget, Photoshop is a glorious thing.
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    Assuming the same body fat %, you get bodybuilder abs by doing strength training exercises with added weight. The goal is to build the muscle to be larger. Although, I would hardly classify the 2nd pic as "bodybuilder" abs.

The "model" abs are more from doing crunches and the typical bodyweight exercises.

Exactly. Like any hypertrophy of muscle.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

That picture is off.

The difference between model vs bodybuilder abs would probably be steroid usuage, muscle size, and bodyfat percentage.

It is possible to have bodybuilder abs without steroid use.

Edited to fix typo *without*
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Thats bulky? :huh:

Same thing with any muscle...If your doing exercises with weight that work the core then you will 'build' up those muscles. To get the 'model' abs, you'd probably see the results just from watching your diet to get down to the right bodyfat along with a little exercise. She doesn't have much muscle. More weight and stress you add, then they will grow and become what you seem to think of as 'bulky'.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

It is possible to have bodybuilder abs without steroid use.

Edited to fix typo *without*

I was thinking the same thing. Painting with broad strokes!