Setting calories low and earning them back?

Options
2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat more to lose more doesn't work overnight. There is no quick way to do it, but people who have a lot more to lose do tend to be able to lose more. You don't have as much to lose. Also you need to do things in a way that will be sustainable long term.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    FYI
    vitamins & minerals in suppliments really just make for very expensive pee
    better to eat food with actual vitamins
  • jlaurena
    jlaurena Posts: 60
    Options
    FYI
    vitamins & minerals in suppliments really just make for very expensive pee
    better to eat food with actual vitamins

I cook everything I eat myself. Nothing out of a box. I am good in the vitamin department
  • Lynnwannabethin
    Options
    Another thing you might want to consider is your hormones. By exercising more and eating less you are actually creating change in a variety of hormones in your body. If your hormones are out of whack to begin with, that could be why you're not seeing results. I just started reading a book, "The Hormone Diet" and it talks about such a thing. This book talks about hormones for both men & women and how it effects a person's attempt at weight loss. I just got to the chapter where it gives you a plan to create balance so I don't have any suggestions to give though. I'm gonna have my Dr. run a hormone test at my next physical to see if I have anything off and then tweak my caloric intake/exercise accordingly. Just a thought anyway. I figure the more things I try to get my internal body in balance, it should start showing on my external body. Good luck!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Just noticed... 50% fat?! Really? HOLY COW...

I do 50 carbohydrates, 30 protein, 20 fat. I could NEVER eat that much fat he he.

If your fat is that high, and you're using so many vitamin supplements to get your nutrition, your problem may be in your diet.

And unless you upped your calories to TDEE+1000, I don't think you gained 2 pounds of fat. Most likely by upping your calories, you upped the carbs overall (if you maintained the ratios). More carbs would mean more stored glucose which takes water... basically that weight was water weight.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I can't find your diary, but here are some thoughts. I just finished reading Why We Get Fat, which I found very helpful. The basic argument is that insulin regulates whether you are burning or building fat. Why? Because the job of insulin is to lower your high blood sugar by secreting it in cells as fat. When your blood sugar is high - like when you eat lots of carbs or - worst of all - liquid carbs like soda or beer - you get rid of that sugar in your blood by storing it as fat and you burn it and don't burn fat.

Lower sugar/carbs>lower insulin>less fat storage, more fat burning

In addition, HIGH insulin makes you really hungry because you can't burn the fat and you need sugar in your blood.

This is NOT a low carb diet, but it does mean that you want around 40% carbs (not higher) and most of that in slowly digested carbs like whole white, brown rice, etc.

For you - who I agree are setting your goals really steep and working really hard - it means you need to look hard at your diet.
  • chay69424
    chay69424 Posts: 33
    Options
    what supplements are you taking by any chance? and what's on your diet? and are you clothes fitting better? have you started to measure yourself and take before and after pictures? the 2 lbs can simply be water weight.

Vitamins/Supplements
    Spring Valley - Omega 3 Fish Oil 1200 Mg (Enteric Coated), 2 Softgel
    Genetic Solutions - Raspberry Ketone 250mg, 1 Capsule
    Bayer - One A Day Women's Multivitamin Plus Healthy Skin Support, 1 Tablet
    Futurbiotics - White Kidney Bean Extract, 2 Pill
    1-2 Protein Shakes/day

my clothes are fitting a lil better, I've measured myself when I started but haven't noticed much of a difference yet to do a check up.

Diet is 10% carb, 40% protein 50% fat and I eat clean

it has to be water weight then!! make sure you're really drinking at least 8 full glasses of water so your body won't retain water. good luck!
  • jlaurena
    Options
    Another thing you might want to consider is your hormones. By exercising more and eating less you are actually creating change in a variety of hormones in your body. If your hormones are out of whack to begin with, that could be why you're not seeing results. I just started reading a book, "The Hormone Diet" and it talks about such a thing. This book talks about hormones for both men & women and how it effects a person's attempt at weight loss. I just got to the chapter where it gives you a plan to create balance so I don't have any suggestions to give though. I'm gonna have my Dr. run a hormone test at my next physical to see if I have anything off and then tweak my caloric intake/exercise accordingly. Just a thought anyway. I figure the more things I try to get my internal body in balance, it should start showing on my external body. Good luck!

VERY INTERESTING!!! I've been seeing my doctor about weight loss and we've even changed prescriptions that could be prone to causing weight gain, so I will bring this up to her. THANKS!
  • jlaurena
    Options
    what supplements are you taking by any chance? and what's on your diet? and are you clothes fitting better? have you started to measure yourself and take before and after pictures? the 2 lbs can simply be water weight.

Vitamins/Supplements
    Spring Valley - Omega 3 Fish Oil 1200 Mg (Enteric Coated), 2 Softgel
    Genetic Solutions - Raspberry Ketone 250mg, 1 Capsule
    Bayer - One A Day Women's Multivitamin Plus Healthy Skin Support, 1 Tablet
    Futurbiotics - White Kidney Bean Extract, 2 Pill
    1-2 Protein Shakes/day

my clothes are fitting a lil better, I've measured myself when I started but haven't noticed much of a difference yet to do a check up.

Diet is 10% carb, 40% protein 50% fat and I eat clean

it has to be water weight then!! make sure you're really drinking at least 8 full glasses of water so your body won't retain water. good luck!

Gosh I sure hope it's just water weight!!! that's the best kind of weight IMO! I have a 24OZ Bottle I try to drink 4x a day, but I do think I could drink more.......THANKS!
  • jlaurena
    Options

I do 50 carbohydrates, 30 protein, 20 fat. I could NEVER eat that much fat he he.

If your fat is that high, and you're using so many vitamin supplements to get your nutrition, your problem may be in your diet.

And unless you upped your calories to TDEE+1000, I don't think you gained 2 pounds of fat. Most likely by upping your calories, you upped the carbs overall (if you maintained the ratios). More carbs would mean more stored glucose which takes water... basically that weight was water weight.

Check this website out, it's called Mark's Daily Apple http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz21SiIJj5D

I try to mimic the Paleo Diet and aim toward a Ketogenic state, which is proven weight loss! Low Fat/High Carb like you are eating is what has caused obesity in America.

10/40/50 (Carb/Protein/Fat) are my goals.
  • jlaurena
    Options
    the 1000 calorie deficit is only recommended for obese people. if you're not obese, go with 500 and accept it'll take longer to see your results. your body will thank you in the long run.

I'm on the verge of being obese according to the BMI scale, although I don't look it.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

Check this website out, it's called Mark's Daily Apple http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz21SiIJj5D

I try to mimic the Paleo Diet and aim toward a Ketogenic state, which is proven weight loss! Low Fat/High Carb like you are eating is what has caused obesity in America.

10/40/50 (Carb/Protein/Fat) are my goals.

Upping my calories and eating the ratios I do actually has caused the most weight loss I've experienced in my life. It is also the nutritional guidelines outlined by most nutritionists and even the FDA.

Weight loss is achieved by expending more calories than you are taking in. Diet plays a roll in this because you need ample protein in your diet to spend more energy doing bodily functions. Additionally, diet is the source of all nutrients the body needs for other various functions.

I eat very healthy, am experiencing decent, steady weight loss, and I don't need to take several pills a day to get my nutritional requirements.

You say you eat healthy, but I do not think any nutritionist would agree that a HALF fat diet with 5 to 6 daily pills to get your proper nutrition is anything close to healthy.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Eat more than that! You can't properly function eating that little even if you are eating exercise calories back. A 1,000 calorie deficit is too large ... aim for more of a 500 to a max of 750. Set up your goals on this site and eat how it tells you to... it will work. Eating too little for too long will SLOW your metabolism making it either harder to keep losing weight or cause you to pile back on the weight once you start eating more.

Eat more to weigh less takes more than a week to work as well... Eat more!
  • starmichie
    starmichie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat more than that! You can't properly function eating that little even if you are eating exercise calories back. A 1,000 calorie deficit is too large ... aim for more of a 500 to a max of 750. Set up your goals on this site and eat how it tells you to... it will work. Eating too little for too long will SLOW your metabolism making it either harder to keep losing weight or cause you to pile back on the weight once you start eating more.

Eat more to weigh less takes more than a week to work as well... Eat more!

^^ This! If you eat too little Cals for long enough...Even if you are still eating back Cals to 1400
    With a deficite of -1000 You are not fully fueling your body...your deficite is too high.
    This in the long run will screw up your metabolisim, then, when you go back to eating normal,
    ( or maintinence) you will End up gaining all the weight you have worked so hard to come off.
    There is no one magical way to lose weight fast....it takes time....if you want to lose the weight
    And most importantly KEEP it off...then slow and steady, wins the race.
    Eat healthy, clean, non processed foods, drink lots of water....fuel your body for all that excersise :)

Good luck with your weight loss journey :)
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I tried that and failed miserably. I have mine set high 2100 and log my exercise but don't eat it. I burn up to 1400 calories a day per my HRM or as low as 600 so my net is between 700-1500 which for my weight works. When it was the other way around I stressed about it too much.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    with less than 40 lbs to lose your goal should only be to lose 1 lb/week. 2 lbs/week is great if you have 75+ lbs to lose.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Not eating enough will lead to a loss of a large % of lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing. (FYI, your net cals should not be below 1200 cals/day, preferably higher) So if you burn 700, the minimum intake you should have would be 1900 (1200+700)
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You are working out a lot and not feeding yourself enough. Either slow down on the workouts.. or eat more. Personally, I like the slow down, because it's difficult to maintain that level of workouts even for maintenance. I work out less and eat at 12-1300 in order to lose the weight. I lose weight even if I don't work out because I'm not eating like crazy.

You say you are eating clean and taking lots of supplements. I'll guarantee you that if you are eating clean, you won't need supplements. Review your nutritional intake and if you really want to do this and be healthy, consider what you eat as fuel. Then it will start to work for you.
    Good luck. Add me as a friend if you want further discussion.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    with less than 40 lbs to lose your goal should only be to lose 1 lb/week. 2 lbs/week is great if you have 75+ lbs to lose.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Those numbers make sense to me, but I'm wondering where you got them.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Seriously LOL what is wrong with me!??! I will eat more to lose weight, ONLY if I earn my calories! Thanks for the link~~I'll try it as long as I'm keeping the workouts up

Review this:

"6) Are you caught up in the “do more” mindset? Is your solution for getting results simply doing more? Working harder? More training. Cutting more cals. More cardio. More days at the gym. More protein. This is using the same old tricks and thinking by just doing more, you can keep improving results. The bottom line is that your body reaches a point of diminishing returns, where the old way doesn’t work anymore, and you need new tools. You need to figure out how to work smarter, not harder. Instead of starting with a calorie count in mind, begin with food CHOICES. Like Metabolic Effect says, eating the right food more often automatically sets up calories to take care of themselves, because your hunger, cravings and energy are already balanced. You don’t have to try as hard to reach a caloric deficit. Long duration cardio is a very inefficient way to burn fat, and you risk losing muscle too. Make weight training your priority, 3-4x/week. Sprinkle in intense interval cardio like track sprints or elliptical intervals, 2-3x/week, 20-30 minutes. Don’t over do it. Less is more. And more importantly, less is sustainable. You could do it forever. And that is what living the fat loss lifestyle is all about :smile: "

For the entire article: http://jillfit.com/2012/07/03/diet-exercise-sustainable-6-ways/