Eat according to Blood Type?

Options
I haven't really researched it at all, but I have a few co-worker who *swear* by the 'eat for your blood type' way of eating. Any opinions or knowledge about it?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    This should be good
  • laverne325
    laverne325 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    never heard of it, how interreasting!
  • MegdKel
    MegdKel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This should be good

I'm assuming it will be a bit entertaining :) but I *really* do want to know what people know/have heard. I just have no knowledge of it and tend to think that kind of stuff is just crap.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Shall I pop the popcorn?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    that kind of stuff is just crap.

This
  • SaundraU
    SaundraU Posts: 77
    Options
    There is a book out there about this.http://dadamo.com/ I have a co-worker who used it. I'm not convinced but she did loose weight.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    the 'eat for your blood type' way of eating. Any opinions or knowledge about it?

Does this involve vampires? Sounds like a sequel to the popular Twilight series.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If by blood type you mean diabetic vs non-diabetic I agree.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a woman who was into every kind of diet fad you could possibly imagine, and this was one of them.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of this, so I did a quick search of the interwebs. Seems like nonsense to me:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-right-for-your-type

What You Can Eat on This Diet
    What you can eat -- and how you exercise -- on this diet depends on who you are.

If you're blood type O ("for old," as in humanity's oldest blood line) your digestive tract retains the memory of ancient times, says D'Adamo, so you're metabolism will benefit from lean meats, poultry, and fish. You're advised to restrict grains, breads, and legumes, and to enjoy vigorous exercise.

Type A ("for agrarian") flourishes on vegetarian diets, "the inheritance of their more settled and less warlike farmer ancestors," says D'Adamo. The type A diet contains soy proteins, grains, and organic vegetables and encourages gentle exercise.

The nomadic blood type B has a tolerant digestive system and can enjoy low-fat dairy, meat, and produce but, among other things, should avoid wheat, corn, and lentils, D'Adamo says. If you're type B, it's recommended you exercise moderately.

The "modern" blood type AB has a sensitive digestive tract and should avoid chicken, beef, and pork but enjoy seafood, tofu, dairy, and most produce. The fitness regimen for ABs is calming exercises.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    First, the guy who the book is the only major proponent I know of. There *may* be others but generally, it's not mainstream or accepted that eating according to blood type is a good idea or that blood type is any real indicator of your diet tolerances or bodily predispositions.

Second, I imagine that people who use the diet lose weight. Why? Because if you examine the recommends they tend to promote healthy foods with restrictions on certain things for a blood type or encouraging other things. Example: avoid read meat, eat oily fish. This isn't a bad recommendation for anyone really. But it's a huge stretch to say its true because of your blood type or that you react to red meat much differently than someone with a different blood type.

Edit: all of the above diets could/should easily result in weight loss.

Third, being advocating this method should provide you with a peer reviewed controlled study verifying it's effectiveness. That's the only way to know. You can try it and you might be successful but you can't conclude it's an effective method until this is done. End of story.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I read the book 12-15 years ago and couldn't say I was impressed. The bottom line is once you are paying attention to what kinds of foods you are eating and how much of them you are eating it's bound to make a difference but there isn't any supporting evidence that I could find that blood type had any impact on how you absorbed nutrition or what you should and should not eat other than what the author himself asserted.
  • TheyCallMeTaterSalad
    Options
    I'd never heard of this, so I did a quick search of the interwebs. Seems like nonsense to me:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-right-for-your-type

What You Can Eat on This Diet
    What you can eat -- and how you exercise -- on this diet depends on who you are.

If you're blood type O ("for old," as in humanity's oldest blood line) your digestive tract retains the memory of ancient times, says D'Adamo, so you're metabolism will benefit from lean meats, poultry, and fish. You're advised to restrict grains, breads, and legumes, and to enjoy vigorous exercise.

Type A ("for agrarian") flourishes on vegetarian diets, "the inheritance of their more settled and less warlike farmer ancestors," says D'Adamo. The type A diet contains soy proteins, grains, and organic vegetables and encourages gentle exercise.

The nomadic blood type B has a tolerant digestive system and can enjoy low-fat dairy, meat, and produce but, among other things, should avoid wheat, corn, and lentils, D'Adamo says. If you're type B, it's recommended you exercise moderately.

The "modern" blood type AB has a sensitive digestive tract and should avoid chicken, beef, and pork but enjoy seafood, tofu, dairy, and most produce. The fitness regimen for ABs is calming exercises.

So according to this (I am type A) I should be eating grains. Well that may just kill me since I have Celiacs. LOL
  • MegdKel
    Options
    Thanks to all of you! I really appreciate all the advise and encouragement from everyone I've come in contact with here, and the confirmation of my skepticism about this blood type thing!
  • NoSpandex
    NoSpandex Posts: 54
    Options
    This was a popular diet in the 90's, and I did lose about 9 lbs on it. But that is only because I am type A+, so I was supposed to eat lots of vegetables, some lean protein, and go really easy on the bread. That's a pretty sensible diet and basically what I do now anyway. Not sure what the other types were supposed to do.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My favorite "eat right for your blood type" was from a naturopathy doctor who spoke at a conference i attended. She read the book, thought it made sense so she tried it. She was type A, according to her mother, the vegetarian/grains one. She followed it precisely, lost weight, looked great, skin was glowing blah blah. Then, after a medical issue, she found out her mother had told her the wrong blood type. She actually should have been eating the opposite.
  • MegdKel
    Options
    My favorite "eat right for your blood type" was from a naturopathy doctor who spoke at a conference i attended. She read the book, thought it made sense so she tried it. She was type A, according to her mother, the vegetarian/grains one. She followed it precisely, lost weight, looked great, skin was glowing blah blah. Then, after a medical issue, she found out her mother had told her the wrong blood type. She actually should have been eating the opposite.

bwahaha! that's hilarious
  • Percyjs
    Percyjs Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't really researched it at all, but I have a few co-worker who *swear* by the 'eat for your blood type' way of eating. Any opinions or knowledge about it?

Actually, the blood type diet is just another fad. I also have a co-worker that is trying it. They eat according to whatever their blood type is. It is sort of healthy in that it suggests eating healthier foods. But in my opinion, any program that calls itself "diet" is destined to fail.

The word diet brings "deprivation" to mind and it also leaves the implication that there will be an ending point. In other words.....what do they suggest you do once you've reached your goal weight? Are there eating restrictions that would cause you to gain the weight back once you've stopped the program? (Like those programs where you have to eat their food, take their suppliments, etc) Do they promise weight loss without making a lifestyle change? No exercise? Those are all sure signs that they are fads and will not usually have lasting results. Most of these programs are just gimmicks. The diet industry has no reason to solve a weight loss problem. That would put them out of business!!

Lasting weight loss is an ongoing, never ending process. One must make healthy choices every day. Any other program will eventually leave a person frustrated, unmotivated and wanting to give up.

Best of luck to all of you!!!! xoxoxo --Percy
    (christ first fitness on facebook)