Can you have too much protein?

Options
My diary says I'm over today and whereas I'm not too worried - can you have too much? What's the side effects.0, disadvantages?

Thanks x

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If your following the default settings in MFP then don't worry about it, if your getting double or triple your lean body mass you may want to tone it back a bit.. So to answer your question, don't worry about it infact you should probably get more than whats recommended by MFP
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I customize my protein because I personally think the goal that mfp sets for you are way to low. Especially if you are doing strength training.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me I'm supposed to be getting 60g of protein a day. I aim for at least 100. Most days I don't get there but today I am at 114.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It's almost impossible to have too much protein to the point it would harm you. I aim for about a gram per pound of lean body mass so roughly 180ish grams a day sometimes getting in over 200 grams. It's one of the few (maybe the only) macro you can go over on and not be concerned.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    What mndamon said is correct. Alonnea as well.

The protein requirement set by MFP is way too low. You can set it yourself, either you can do 40% or figure out what your lean body mass is and eat 1g of protein for each 1lb of LBM.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Too much protein can put a dangerous working load on your kidneys...

HOWEVER, you'd have to be consuming over 300 g for that to happen.

I talked to a nutritionist about this last week :D
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • OspreyWife
    OspreyWife Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm glad you asked that! I was getting on here to ask the same question because it said I was over today also :)
  • jameswanless
    Options
    Some of these responses are way off. Do a bit of independent research. Being a little off is no big deal and you do need more if you're into serious bodybuilding than you would if you're just looking for a healthy diet.

Normally, determining how much to eat starts with determining the % of your calories you want from protein. Without getting into big debates and flames here, you'll find many recommendations in the 20-25% of calories from protein. Protein has 4 calories per gram. So, let's say for the sake of argument you were on a 1500 calorie diet and wanted 20% of your calories from protein. That translates to 300 calories. At 4 cals/gram, you are looking at 75 grams of protein. These estimates of 200 grams of protein would be unhealthy if maintained over a long period.

If you continually eat too much protein, your body uses calcium to process the excess. Once normal metabolic function and muscle repair is taken care of, we don't store it, we process and excrete it. If your body has to do this a lot, then it leaches calcium from your blood and eventually your bones. In very rare cases, prolonged excess protein consumption 'can' lead to blood disorders and, oddly enough, osteoperosis.
  • mama78loosinWeight
    mama78loosinWeight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I personalise as well. I think the carbs are set a bit too high and the protein is set too low. Just my opinion.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    No, be sure to get some fiber in too or you won't be able to poo.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    What works for me is hitting high protein, fats and low carbs.

I also keep low sugar and sodium.

We all have to do what is best for us, maybe try to keep with the high protein and see how it works for you?
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I try to exceed MFP's recommended amount. Maybe it is all in my head but I feel noticeably better when I go over for a stretch of time.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    as long as you're not going over your calories, then no.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I set my weight loss to maintain specifically so that I can see my true protein needs.. I'm now set to 84 grams per day base (plus more for working out) and I manually manage my deficient (500 for 1lb of fat 1000 for 2lb of fat per week) I like to see my deficient anyways so that I don't undercut the number they set to avoid going over.. The last thing your body wants to do with protein is use it as energy, it's a very important macro that has many uses I'd say it'd be the worst to consistently go under on(unless you were going to cut out 100% of your carbs, but I'm not going into that) but I wouldn't worry about going over a bit(especially if MFP is managing your deficient for you) u could swap over to maintain for a quick glance at what it really thinks u need in protein if it would make you more comfortable(u can swap right back to your current setting)
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine ate over 100g of protein per day and gained like 45 lbs of muscle in a month. She looked like a bulky she-hulk. Be careful!!
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine ate over 100g of protein per day and gained like 45 lbs of muscle in a month. She looked like a bulky she-hulk. Be careful!!

I hope you're joking here because this is extremely misleading. If my sarcasm radar is FUBAR and I'm just missing the joke then I'll hit myself later.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I hope you're joking here because this is extremely misleading. If my sarcasm radar is FUBAR and I'm just missing the joke then I'll hit myself later.

^ I'm trying to figure out if it's trolling too. She made 2 other posts recommending lifting 5lb dumbbells to avoid gaining muscle very rapidly. I'm guessing trolling.
  • fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options

^ I'm trying to figure out if it's trolling too. She made 2 other posts recommending lifting 5lb dumbbells to avoid gaining muscle very rapidly. I'm guessing trolling.

Or complete ignorance. There are women out there who think you'll bulk up quickly. But, I'm going with trolling, cause, really? 45 pounds in a month? Doubt it.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, you actually can have too much protein. Excess protein over and extended period of time is the biggest cause of osteoperosis. Especially if you are getting your protein from animal sources (meat, dairy, cheese)