Any roasted veggies recipes?

Options
ilovemybuggy
ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
Looking for delicious roasted veggie recipes- maybe a little flavor (other than the natural flavor), and HOW should I prepare them? I'm new at this! Thankssss :tongue:

Replies

• ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Personally I love them on the grill, especially squashes, peppers and large mushrooms. Sometimes add a little olive oil, sometimes a little hot sauce, sometimes a little lemon juice.

Looking forward to the responses
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    Personally I love them on the grill, especially squashes, peppers and large mushrooms. Sometimes add a little olive oil, sometimes a little hot sauce, sometimes a little lemon juice.

I have one of those roasters that goes on top of the stove- but have NO IDEA how long and what heat to cook them at.... I was thinking maybe just a little natures seasoning or something close for a little added flavor- but I don't know. Haha.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options

And grilled portabellos are my FAVORITE-
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE these little mini frozen brussel sprouts they sell at Trader Joes. I'll take a handfull of them, chop up a carrot, and sometimes throw in some zucchini. For cooking them: how I actually make mine is I use one of those "Perfect Meatloaf Pans" that they sell at Target (also find em at Bed Bath & Beyond, or online...) It's got a bottom tray to collect drippings or fat (if cooking meat). I toss my brussel sprouts and carrots with some olive oil, sprinkle on garlic powder and some season salt and I'll put those bad boys in my meatloaf pan in the oven for about 25 minutes. I like using the meatloaf pan cuz if I go a little crazy with the olive oil, it drips through the grade on the bottom and my veges don't sit in the extra oil.

They are faaaaaaaabulous! :)

...MMMmmmMMMmmMm.... if you like brussel sprouts, of course.
  • CowGirl4109
    Options
    This is easy, quick and delicious. Wash, peel (if necessary) and cut your choice of veggies to similar size. Toss them with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper then spread one layer thick on a baking sheet. Roast at 425 degrees for 20 - 30 + minutes (depending on size you cut them) until tender and charred in places. A squeeze of lemon juice or some balsamic is great. Asparagus is awesome roasted this way!!
  • MeaganFeds
    MeaganFeds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really like roasted beets or carrots. For either one, preheat the oven to 375F.
    For beets:
    I rinse and peel them then cut into 3/4" pieces. Toss them into a shallow baking dish and toss with some olive oil. Sometimes I put in some garlic, too. Roast them for 40 minutes or so, stirring halfway through. They'll start to shrink a little and darken in color. You can pierce a couple of them to make sure they're soft enough. If not, give them some more time. They're really yummy.

For the carrots:
    I either use baby carrots sliced in half the long way or regular carrots peeled then cut into pieces roughly the size of half a baby carrot. Then it's pretty much the same as the beets, but I only use the olive oil. Roast them until they start to shrivel and brown. Just keep an eye on them because they can burn.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Cut up some carrots, red peppers and onion. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea/kosher salt and a little garlic salt. I have a basket for the grill that works really well but when I need to I can do it on a cookie sheet by using the broil option on the oven.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    Cut up some carrots, red peppers and onion. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea/kosher salt and a little garlic salt. I have a basket for the grill that works really well but when I need to I can do it on a cookie sheet by using the broil option on the oven.
    Last time I broiled I don't know if I did it too long, or just cut the veggies too thin ...but a lot of them practically disappeared. :( I have always cooked really good (maybe not healthy- but good) so that was a major kick to the ego. LOL
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Try here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-vegetables/morerecipeslikethis.aspx
    I like them with rosemary and thyme. I found I use less oil if I put the veg in a large bowl and toss the oil, herbs, and veg together to coat them all well. Have fun with it. A quote I always liked: "When you bake, follow the recipe. When you cook, cook with wild abandon."
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE these little mini frozen brussel sprouts they sell at Trader Joes. I'll take a handfull of them, chop up a carrot, and sometimes throw in some zucchini. For cooking them: how I actually make mine is I use one of those "Perfect Meatloaf Pans" that they sell at Target (also find em at Bed Bath & Beyond, or online...) It's got a bottom tray to collect drippings or fat (if cooking meat). I toss my brussel sprouts and carrots with some olive oil, sprinkle on garlic powder and some season salt and I'll put those bad boys in my meatloaf pan in the oven for about 25 minutes. I like using the meatloaf pan cuz if I go a little crazy with the olive oil, it drips through the grade on the bottom and my veges don't sit in the extra oil.

They are faaaaaaaabulous! :)

...MMMmmmMMMmmMm.... if you like brussel sprouts, of course.

:sick: bleh- not a fan of brussel sprouts- would probably be tasty with some other veggies though! :) Thanks!
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    Try here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-vegetables/morerecipeslikethis.aspx
    I like them with rosemary and thyme. I found I use less oil if I put the veg in a large bowl and toss the oil, herbs, and veg together to coat them all well. Have fun with it. A quote I always liked: "When you bake, follow the recipe. When you cook, cook with wild abandon."

Great idea- thank you! :)
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    [[/quote]

:sick: bleh- not a fan of brussel sprouts- would probably be tasty with some other veggies though! :) Thanks!
    [/quote]

Don't rule out sprouts, they taste totally different roasted. My son does not like them boiled but he loves them roasted.
  • gpmominoh
    gpmominoh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I too love roasted veggies. I have them with brown rice for lunch. I use just a touch of olive oil and twice as much balsamic vinegar. Gives a great flavor to the veggies and cuts down on the fat. i also add sea salt and a few red pepper flakes.
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil and a little sea salt- And I cook them until they have a char- because I loveeee the flavor--- I cook them on my burner in lieu of a grill- because of the money for propane/ charcoal/ I live in a town home- Grill is best though.
  • goodeater24
    goodeater24 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What kind of roaster goes on top of the stove? I'm intrigued!
  • Hope502012
    Hope502012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Red peppers, courgettes, aubergine, mushrooms, onions, cut into chunks. Place in roasting tin. Sprinkle with chilli powder and smoked paprika. Drizzle with olive oil. Put into pre-warmed oven at 180 degrees C for about 20 mins - enjoy! :happy:
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    What kind of roaster goes on top of the stove? I'm intrigued!

It's like a turkey sized one... let me see if I can find you a link to one. They're awesome!

edit: Kinda like this

http://www.angelfire.com/az2/waterless/Roasters.html
  • stellarcanicula
    stellarcanicula Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I see everyone saying they drizzle with olive oil. Olive oil is chock full of calories, so I opt for cooking spray.
    I keep my roasted vegetables simple. Zucchini, onions, and carrots. I season with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground sage and dill.

Spray a large baking sheet with the cooking spray. Spread all the veggies out evenly. Bake at 350 until they are caramelized (i toss them around about halfway through).

I make a huge batch on Sundays and use them for EVERYTHING. I put em on salads, on turkey burgers, used them as a meat substitute in nachos, etc, etc.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I see everyone saying they drizzle with olive oil. Olive oil is chock full of calories, so I opt for cooking spray.
    I keep my roasted vegetables simple. Zucchini, onions, and carrots. I season with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground sage and dill.

Spray a large baking sheet with the cooking spray. Spread all the veggies out evenly. Bake at 350 until they are caramelized (i toss them around about halfway through).

I make a huge batch on Sundays and use them for EVERYTHING. I put em on salads, on turkey burgers, used them as a meat substitute in nachos, etc, etc.

Ohhhh, yummy!!!