HOW many calories???

Options
Kinda frustrated! Maybe you guys can help.

When I go to my gym the "calories burned" seems so small even though I'm sweating my booty off and I'm using inclines, etc.. I thought it was strange so I typed the same info into another program here online and found out there is a MAJOR calorie difference. For example I did the stepper program and at the gym it said only 75 cal burned but online it said 201! I did the stationary bike for 4 miles and it said 126 calories but online it says 126 but online it says 328. I'm talking about the numbers that the equipment tells me versus typing in the information with all the adjustments for speed, incline, etc.

I wouldn't be frustrated but now I'm not sure which to record or how to make adjustments to my calories!

Any ideas? Anyone???

Replies

• pgldish
    pgldish Posts: 5
    Options
    I think your best bet would be to get a HRM. That would be the most accurate. Good luck!

I have a Polar HRM and it tells me the calories burned at the end of a workout. It's the only think I use now.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    By 'online' do you mean the MFP database? I'm not sure what to tell you. Machines and MFP and even HRM's are all pretty bad estimates, from what I read lately. Maybe there's a more reputable activity db somewhere? I don't log it, I don't know.

You could also switch to the 'TDEE minus X%' method instead of the MFP 'eat back' method. I think it's simpler and makes more sense.