Hunger while dieting and suppressing hunger

Options
I'm currently consuming about 2000 to 2050 calories on a daily basis (40c/40p/20f) and have been eating like this since last week. At 6'6 240 pounds (wanting to lose another 22 lbs) this is not much food but it is what it is. I am having a hard time suppressing my hunger. I was on a low-moderate carb and high fat diet which was even worse since I couldn't eat as much food as I now do since I do not eat a lot of fat which in turn gives me more calories for carbs and protein.

Anyway, what do you recommend I do to suppress my hunger? I already consume a lot of fibrous vegetables which keeps me fuller longer but I am still hungry most of the day.

Replies

• MisterOtter
    Options
    Water. Lots and lots of water.
  • chrisbcreme1
    chrisbcreme1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    drink some protein shakes... they will fill you up at a cost of only 100-200 calories. 1 scoop shake in between each meal and u will stay full #guaranteed
  • nintento64
    nintento64 Posts: 17
    Options
    drink some protein shakes... they will fill you up at a cost of only 100-200 calories. 1 scoop shake in between each meal and u will stay full #guaranteed

Whey only increases my hunger. Cottage Cheese/Casein shakes can work for me though
  • BadgerSensei
    BadgerSensei Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You'll learn, as you go, what will keep <i>you</i> full longer. A glass of milk will keep me for several hours these days; I don't know that it works that way for everyone. But lots of water will do wonders, too. As will adjusting over time. In my case, I'm learning to differentiate between hungry hungry and bored hungry.
  • irenephillip824
    Options
    Spread out your meals thoughout the day. Another thing I have come to find out is when I exercise I feel less hungry. Drink more water and exercise more.
  • ironicusername
    Options
    Metamucil really helped me when I first started. I'd have a serving after each meal and it helped tremendously at curbing my appetite. I've also used Wasa crackers for the same purpose, but I found they're hard to eat to many of. Both options are way low in calories.
  • SaundraU
    SaundraU Posts: 77
    Options
    I do water ALOT, I also spread my calories out. I snack on things like carrots.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    satiety comes from adequate fat and protein. if your diet is mainly comprised of carbohydates (especially simple carbs), your glucose rollercoaster will increase hunger. focus on good fats and protein, and eat carbs that are fibrous. the remaining of your cals, let them fall as they may, but your primary dietary goal should be hitting your macros.

also, if your diet is new, your stomach may simply be adjusting to lower food volume. as long as you don't binge/overeat, your stomach will slowly decrease in size.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Water is good, eating smaller meals or snacks throughout the day, and having a regular daily routine will help I think! Whatever you do, make sure your eating habits are something you can sustain for a lifetime!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    i suppress my hunger with food. haha. just eat foods that give you more bang(so to speak) or volume i should say. nuts, fruits, veggies, cheeses are low in calories, yogurt, things like that. lots of those things are good if you're short on calories but need a nice volume of food to fill you up
  • Buildothers511
    Options
    I have found that adding Shakeology to my diet for one meal substitution works great. It allows your body to get all the nutrients it desires and needs and you do not crave the junk snacking..
  • kinkomaria
    kinkomaria Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and ADD good protein bars that are high in protein and low in sugar (Pure Protein or Quest bars keep me full).

Also, If you are a male and IF you were already at your goal weight of 215lbs, then you would be able to eat approximately 2400 calories a day to maintain that weight (of course you would add calories from exercise to this number).

It is always a good idea to spend a few days while you diet eating your bodies goal "maintenance calories" so you get used to eating that amount for a life time.

I eat 4-5 days a week at LOW-losing calories (for you the 2050), and then 1-2 days a week at my goal weights maintenance calories (for you approximately 2400 calories). Your body will appreciate the high days and keep you from starving. Starving in diets is a red flag for quickly gaining weight back once you've lost it. The high days are also less calories than your body would need at your current weight, so you will still be losing weight.

Bouncing back and forth between your low number and your high number keeps YOU happier and fuller. It keeps your body guessing. Most people will succeed in the long run if they do not starve themselves while losing weight.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Your diary is private so I'm not sure what you're eating specifically but I will second the water suggestion. Also make sure you're eating high fiber carbs. Sweet potatoes, brown rice, barley, quinoa ect will keep you fuller, longer than things like bread and cereal.

Split your meals up so you're eating every few hours and follow up each meal an snack with extra water to help keep you full.

Less processed foods help keep you full longer also, they tend to be more nutrient dense than processed versions.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I find cottage cheese incredibly filling personally. I have a 250g tub of it before bed as my last food of the day.
  • nintento64
    nintento64 Posts: 17
    Options
    eating smaller meals or snacks throughout the day, and having a regular daily routine will help I think!

I used to think the same. But smaller meals never keep me full. Instead I eat only 3 large meals a day.
    It is always a good idea to spend a few days while you diet eating your bodies goal "maintenance calories" so you get used to eating that amount for a life time.

Bouncing back and forth between your low number and your high number keeps YOU happier and fuller. It keeps your body guessing. Most people will succeed in the long run if they do not starve themselves while losing weight.

That's a good idea. I think weekly cheat meals do the same though
    I find cottage cheese incredibly filling personally. I have a 250g tub of it before bed as my last food of the day.

Agreed. I consume 500 grams of quark (some type of cottage cheese) daily and that keeps me full.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Water. Water. Water.

But not to beat a dead horse, I also chew on minty gum while I'm at work. It helps to keep me distracted from wanting to "bored" eat and it keeps my breath minty fresh. :)