asthmatic and confused..

Options
so i'm a asthmatic although have not relied on my inhaler for about 5-6 months. I went to the gym today and went on the treadmill and within 5 mins of running (after a 5 min warm up walking) i was panting and gasping..pretty pathetic..however yesterday i started off with the same warm up and was fine and went on to do 25 mins on the treadmill another 10 on the rower another 10 on the cross trainer plus some weights and did not need my inhaler at any point..any thoughts?

This was not the first time at the gym, i play football (Soccer) once or twice a week, squash and also go to the gym..

Replies

• Pgarcia413
    Pgarcia413 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have asthma (no inhaler unless I am racing) and I feel I get that way when I am not drinking enough water.
  • lovesbikes
    lovesbikes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are you only taking a rescue inhaler ? you need like a daily inhaler like advair that you take twice a day. If you are not able to breath your cardiovascular system will not be able to deliver o2 to your muscles and you will get tired quickly.
  • faithfitnessandnutrition
    Options
    I would say it depends. I am also asthmatic and i can go for 6-8 mile runs and never need my inhaler and on other days after one mile I desperately need it. Usually things like humidty, air quality, allergies, a cold, and so forth can trigger an attack one day and nothing the next day. My asthma is exercise, allergy and cold induced so I carry my inhaler with my year round, if the gym was humid that day it could have triggered you, or just something in the air could have triggered an attack, or the intensity you were working out. Asthma can be unpredictable at times :) Just always carry your inhaler with you and good luck :)
  • NitroS1988
    NitroS1988 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Pgarcia413 - I drank plenty of water today although it may of not been enough due to it being a very hot day, and maybe the gym's air circulation may have come into play also..

gdevender - I did not have an inhaler on my however used it when i got home (the rescue one) i do have the daily one that you should take twice a day but do not use it all the time. I can train most of the time without using one
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends. I am also asthmatic and i can go for 6-8 mile runs and never need my inhaler and on other days after one mile I desperately need it. Usually things like humidty, air quality, allergies, a cold, and so forth can trigger an attack one day and nothing the next day. My asthma is exercise, allergy and cold induced so I carry my inhaler with my year round, if the gym was humid that day it could have triggered you, or just something in the air could have triggered an attack, or the intensity you were working out. Asthma can be unpredictable at times :) Just always carry your inhaler with you and good luck :)

THIS!!!
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I think everytime may be different. I am an extreme asthmatic. And I have to take my inhaler before and after any workout, in the middle of the night sometimes, when i am around smoke, or anything! (I also have advair that i use occasionlly, should be using it everyday though).

I just started taking a fish oil-omega 3 pill for cardiovascular. since then i havent had to take it afterwards. it has helped improve that.

Good luck to you.
  • NitroS1988
    NitroS1988 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice

jemma3250 - thanks for the great info, i find that like yourself my asthma can come about from allergies (Such as cats), a cold or sneezing or some exercise however i am trying to rely less on the inhaler but will use it when i do desperatly need it.

Marcillene - i used to be very similar having to need to use it all the time but i found that if i stopped using it (it was difficult for 2-3 days) but after that my tolerance built up.. i find that as soon as i start using my blue (recovery) inhaler my reliance on it increases dramatically