What to do with chocolate protein powder?

Options
torrmairi
torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
To put it shortly - I bought a 2kg tub of Reflex's rich chocolate Vegan Protein today and it tastes nasty! Nearly all I can taste is stevia, but I need to finish this tub. I'd be super-grateful if anyone has some vegan, gluten-free recipes for me?

Replies

• sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    I recently made some protein bars using oats (sorry - can you get gluten free oats?!), peanut butter (pure - just peanuts, nothing added), homemade almond milk and chocolate protein powder. Next time I will sweeten with some agave as it wasn't quite sweet enough for me - but then I ended up sprinkling these with dessicated coconut and they're nice!
  • torrmairi
    Options
    I recently made some protein bars using oats (sorry - can you get gluten free oats?!), peanut butter (pure - just peanuts, nothing added), homemade almond milk and chocolate protein powder. Next time I will sweeten with some agave as it wasn't quite sweet enough for me - but then I ended up sprinkling these with dessicated coconut and they're nice!

I can - those sound fabulous! Are they the kind where you just mix everything up on the stove, then refrigerate them?
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    you can also make chocolate ice cream.
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    I didn't actually heat anything up - just mixed, shaped them (I did balls) and put them in the fridge :-)
  • torrmairi
    Options
    you can also make chocolate ice cream.

I like to freeze bananas to make ice cream - that sounds perfect! Thanks. :)
  • torrmairi
    Options
    I didn't actually heat anything up - just mixed, shaped them (I did balls) and put them in the fridge :-)

Brilliant! I have some puffed millet in the house so I might start with that first, then get some oats. :)
  • papate
    papate Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I warm my skim milk and mix, have hot chocolate, if you want a different "kick", add a couple drops of Bananna extract, or add ice and make a smoothie
    I have the hot chocolate every morning
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You could make a Cafe Mocha shake. Mix your chocolate protien powder in with milk or water then add 1 teaspoon instant coffee grinds, add ice if you want.
  • torrmairi
    Options
    You could make a Cafe Mocha shake. Mix your chocolate protien powder in with milk or water then add 1 teaspoon instant coffee grinds, add ice if you want.

I was just thinking about that - sounds perfect! I just need to get my hands on some coffee!
  • torrmairi
    Options
    I warm my skim milk and mix, have hot chocolate, if you want a different "kick", add a couple drops of Bananna extract, or add ice and make a smoothie
    I have the hot chocolate every morning

Mine seems a bit too sweet to do that, though I think almond milk or something might help. This is hardcore sweetened goo if I just add water!
  • torrmairi
    Options

They look great, though I'd need to fiddle around for a bit to make them vegan- and coeliac-friendly. Thanks!
  • gvroxie
    gvroxie Posts: 10
    Options

I was just thinking about that - sounds perfect! I just need to get my hands on some coffee!

I do this all the time. I don't find the protein powders that palatable either :(. They're great for a quick and easy on the way out the door breakfast though!!!
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I put 1/2 a banana, handful of berries and some almond milk. Yum
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe but an idea, i can't / couldn't drink just the protien pwder when i first started weight training, it was so sweet it actually gagged me every time, it was all i could do to get to the end of a shake (water or milk + pwdr), but i add ice cold water now, & it seems to dull the sweetness & the grittiness mine has.

Just an idea.