I need help with yellow squash!

Options
MrsPeavley
MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
The only way I know how to make it is cut up and fried. I would really like to try squash in a healthy recipe. I get squash and zucchini from my in laws garden so I need some ideas thanks in advance!

Replies

• leannehoggdodd
    Options
    Where do I start, yummy squash - I make it with tomato and spinach as a curry and its delicious and low fat

Also you can cook them with skin on roasted as wedges/ chips etc as a healthy version rather than potato.

I use squash like I would a potato basically, the posaibillities are endless.

Xxx
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    LOL The only way I used to eat squash was boiled with lots of butter and brown sugar! I've been seeing people using squash and zucchinni as pasta?? Might be something to look up
  • gvroxie
    gvroxie Posts: 10
    Options
    I sautee mine in a sprayed non-stick skillet... slice into slices and sautee. After they are browned, I'll add about 1/4 cup water or chicken broth, cover the pan with a lid and let them steam till tender-crisp. I use all kinds of seasonings... Mrs. Dash is my new best friend... but I like curry powder the best!!! I'll even have this for a snack to beat off the evening munchies!!!
    BTW... I do like to make 'zucchini fries'.... here's the two recipes:

BAKED ZUCCHINI STICKS

3 medium zucchini sliced into 3" x 1/2" sticks
    1 large egg white
    1/3 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
    cooking spray
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    salt
    fresh pepper

In a small bowl, beat egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese and shake well. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
    Dip zucchini sticks into eggs then into bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake at 425° for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
    NOTE: For crispier ‘fries’ increase oven temp to 450 or 500… bake them high and fast
    Can top with 2 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese – if desired

RACHEL RAY’S MEXICAN ZUCCHINI ‘FRIES’

2 medium zucchini
    1 Tbs cumin
    1 Tbs grill seasoning
    1 Tbs oregano
    Non-stick pan spray

Spray baking pan with non-stick spray.
    Cut zucchini lengthwise in half and scrape out seeds. Cut pieces lengthwise into long strips and cut strips in half or thirds to make ‘fries’. Spray zucchini strips with non-stick spray. In a small bowl, combine grill seasoning, cumin, oregano with fingers and sprinkle and coat zucchini strips. Bake at 500F till crispy.

Actually the zucchini and yellow squash are interchangeable in recipes!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like it best on the grill. Halve it lengthwise, spice it up with whatever you like (I typically use garlic, thyme, black pepper and a little ceyenne), drizzle or spray with a little oil then grill cut side down. You can turn it if you want, but I only cook the cut side until well browned. That way one side is soft and the other still crisp tender.

You can do the same thing in a skillet or grill pan if you don't want to fire up the grill. Works well for zucchini too.
  • leannehoggdodd
    Options
    Ok my recipe:
    Squash
    Onion
    Garlic clove
    4/5 big tomatos
    Lots of spinach
    Curry paste

Fry onion and garlic with 2/3 tablespoons of curry paste, cube the squash and it to the pan with tomatos and then add srock cook.untill soft then add the spinach -

Yum yum get in my tum :-)
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I saute it in olive oil with red peppers, carrots, mushrooms, garlic and Mrs. Dash.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I remember reading on here somewhere (I think hee hee) to try zucchini and yellow squash sliced lengthwise and use them as "noodles" as for in lasagna. I am assuming that layers of cheese, veggies and sauce of some kind can be used to make many different varieties of this yummy little dish. :drinker:
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It all sounds yummy!
  • urastupidchimp
    urastupidchimp Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat it (and super-duper easy) is to slice into chunks (about .5 inch), throw it in a bowl with a couple tbsp's of olive oil and the seasonings of your choice (I like garlic salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes) and toss until coated. Then spread them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the oven on 425 for 20 minutes. DELISH! I also do this with potatoes, just cook them a bit longer (25-30 minutes).

I've also shredded yellow squash and zucchini in place of pasta and made a homemade chunky tomato sauce. It tastes really fresh and light and keeps me fuller for longer when compared with regular pasta noodles :)
  • Isileo
    Isileo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can also cut it into ribbons with a vegetable peeler and eat it raw in salads.

Marinated Zucchini and Yellow Squash Salad

YIELD: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups salad, 1
    tablespoon basil oil)
    COURSE: Salads
    Ingredients
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    4 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    3 zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    2 yellow squash (about 3/4 pound)
    1 garlic clove, peeled
    1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes

Preparation

1. Combine vinegar, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until sugar
    dissolves. Trim ends of zucchini and squash; cut into thin
    ribbons with harp-shaped peeler. Add to vinegar mixture.
    Cover and chill 2 hours or overnight.

2. Bring a small pan of water to a boil; add garlic. Remove
    with a slotted spoon after 1 minute. Rinse under cold water;
    set aside. Add basil to boiling water; immediately remove and
    rinse under cold water. Reserve 1 tablespoon of cooking
    liquid. Transfer garlic and basil to a food processor, and add
    lemon juice, olive oil, reserved water, and the remaining 1/4
    teaspoon salt. Process until smooth.

3. Drain squash, and divide among 4 plates. Top with cubed
    mozzarella, and drizzle with basil oil.
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Here's one I copied from somewhere.....can't remember. It's soooo good ...

Zucchini Tots

Calories: 108 • Fat: 4.3 g • Protein: 6.8 g • Carb: 11.5 g • Fiber: 1.8 g • Sugar: 2 g Sodium: 262 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:
    • 1 cup zucchini, grated
    • 1 large egg
    • 1/4 medium onion, diced
    • 1/4 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    • 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • cooking spray

Directions
    Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray
    Grate the zucchini into a clean dish towel. Wring all of the excess water out of the
    zucchini. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and
    pepper to taste

Fill each muffin section to the top, pushing down on the filling with your spoon so it's
    nice and compacted so they don't fall apart when you take them out of the tin

Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the tops are golden
    Use a plastic knife or rubber spatula around the edges of each tot to remove them
    from the muffin tin. Enjoy!!
  • KittenKittyKitteh
    KittenKittyKitteh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Grill it with Fat Free/light Italian dressing:

I make a foil "Boat" and toss anything I have veggie wise, which is usually Yellow (or regular) Zucchini, purple onion, broccoli, and mushrooms. I season it with whatever and put a couple tablespoons of Italian dressing on it. Mix it up really well and plop it on the grill.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have used it as pasta. Highly recommend trying this. Delicious.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/low-fat-chocolate-chip-zucchini-bread.html

This is yummy. I substitute gluten free flour and add cinnamon and a little bit of walnuts instead of chocolate chips.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    You could chop it and saute it with some onion, garlic, and tomatoes. Delicious.
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    steaming them and adding them as a side with your dinner is the best!!! they taste great all natural!
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    cut the veggie in half and scrape out the squash.

take what you scraped out and mix with cottage cheese/ricotta and some mozerrella. Add spices to your liking. fill in the boats of the squash. drizzle with EVOO and stick in the oven until golden, about 20 minutes. medium heat. NOM!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of kids (5) so I am always looking for ways to serve healthy family meals. Just got this one last week.

In a large frying pan with lid-
    Brown 1-2 pounds of ground meat (sausage, ground beef or even ground turkey) with 1-2 large onions. Drain.

Put i back on stove.
    Spice it up - garlic, basil, salt, pepper. I toss anything 'Italian' I can find.
    Add in 4 large tomatoes, diced into 1 inch cubes (or a can or two of diced)
    Add squash, cut longways in strips (yes, like pasta)
    Cover and cook until squash is almost as tender as you like.

Sprinkle hearty portions of low fat, Cheddar, Provolone or other cheese. Cover. (about 5 minutes)
    Serve when cheese is melted and squash is tender to taste.
  • JCo702
    JCo702 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ZUCCHINI or SQUASH QUICHE

3 cups zucchini shredded (that’s one large zucchini, about 9” x 3”)...or use summer squash...or a combination!
    1 onion, chopped
    1 cup Bisquick
    4 eggs
    ½ cup vegetable oil
    ½ cup grated cheese
    parsley
    salt
    ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Comvine all ingredients
    Place in greased 9” x 9” pan
    Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (check center with a knife tomake sure it is firm and
    not wet)
    Serve hot

If you have a food processor, you can make the whole recip in the processor:.
    Place onions in processor first and chop.
    Leave onions in processor and switch to shredder blade and shred the zucchini.
    Add remaining ingredients and mix
    (If you have not bought cheddar cheese already shredded you will have to shred that after
    the zucchini before adding the other ingredients)
  • kasslass2
    kasslass2 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Cube it. Boil til tender. drain and make it just like you would maccaroni (no milk though). SOOOOOOO yummy!