Shopping for a Dress... HELP!

Options
Tonnina
Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
My husband's brother is getting married. Naturally, since we had his brother as the Best Man, my husband will be the Best Man for his brother. I, however, am not in the wedding party. I'm great friends with the bride though, and would love to look great in photos of her day. I'm curious though, what kind of dress do I wear?
So I'm not in the wedding, but my husband is which means we'll be photographed. I don't want to look "bad" by wearing the wrong dress. Is tea length acceptable? Do I have to shop for a full length gown? The wedding is in November so I have plenty of time to look for this dress. Mostly just looking for suggestions. It's an evening wedding, but I'm not sure how formal it is going to be, but it's not some jeans and t-shirt wedding, I know that much... Is there a rule book somewhere for this kind of girly stuff? lol!

Replies

• HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Kohls. Just go to Kohls.

Oh and grab a belt that sits high on your waist, adding this to the dress will give a great shape.

I put my belt under my boobs in this dress and threw on a pair of cowgirl boots...

I could have added heels to dress it up more.

The thick belt makes it a little less casual
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I think tea length would be perfect. Just don't wear white/cream and make sure you get a different colour to the bridesmaids.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    Options
    by the way i'm speaking about the dress in my profile pic
    check my profile if its to small
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    Options
    oh yah and don't do the color i'm in.. thats a no no at weddings
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    Options
    it'll be november and evening so add a cute little jacket, cardigan, our half jacket/top
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Does the invitation indicate black or white tie or just suggest formal wear? Can you ask the bride to clarify the dress code? Cocktail length is generally fine for weddings. If you want to look fantastic you need a dress that fits well. Don't go for strapless just because those dresses are so ubiquitous, especially if the bride is planning on wearing a strapless dress. Find a dressmaker and either have the dress made, or if that's not possible, take an off the rack dress to your dressmaker to be altered. A great fit and supportive undergarments (ok, Spanx... or other granny knickers) are behind looking fabulous regardless of your size.

And make sure you have a good bra. You want the girls hoisted as high as the heavens, and not to have to be constantly readjusting.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'd say it really depends on what the dress code is, but unless the invitation calls for formal, I'd go with a cocktail-type dress. I attended a late afternoon/evening wedding earlier this year and wore this dress in navy. It's simple but classy, and just by changing the jewelry and shoes and throwing on a blazer, it's perfect for work too.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13103761&view=99&parentPage=family
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion. It's something I wish I'd thought of before now.
    When you do find your dress (I'm assuming you'd try it on in the store) put it on again when you get home. Have somebody take pictures of you in your dress, from every angle possible. And in different lighting situations. And in various poses.

My daughter got married last weekend. I'd found the "perfect" dress for myself, as MOB. I had put it on it the store, took pix with my cell phone. Liked how it looked. I'd put it on several times at home, and looked at myself everywhichway possible in the mirrors. I thought it was a pretty nice dress.

But now, ppl are starting to post pix on facebook from the wedding. I looked horrible! I think I looked like a confused male cross-dresser with no fashion sense. I'm embarrassed over those photos. The dress actually made me look HUGE in photos, and I didn't even see that at all in mirrors. I actually had a meltdown and cried because I looked so horrible. It was just the wrong dress. At least, that's what I'm hoping! I'd been feeling pretty good about myself, because losing weight for her wedding is what brought me to MFP, and I'd lost 23 lbs. Then to see the photos...I felt like back to square one because I look like $*#! But, I tend be pretty hard on myself.

Good luck with finding a dress! Hope you'll post a topic on it and show it to us!
  • Tonnina
    Options
    Thank you! I haven't received the official invite yet, but it's good to know that wearing tea length or cocktail length is okay if it's not a full blown extremely formal wedding. I only know that Navy, white, black, silver, eggplant, and teal are colors I can't use. She, the bride, told me really light blue, reds, oranges, greens, and yellows are a-okay to wear so I'm on the hunt.... Thinking of doing a dark red because it makes the red in my hair stand out. You are all awesome. Of course I'll take photos in the store, send them to her and see how she feels about it. I'll try Kohls, I love that store!!
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    It always helps to know what body shape you have when picking a dress so that it will flatter you. There are 4 basic shapes:

Banana/Rectangle---> You have little curves and your pant size is usually about the same as your dress size (your bottom and hip measurements are the same or about the same)

Hourglass----> A full bust and bottom with a tiny waist

Apple---> heavier frame with a usually large bust, large bottom, and large mid-section

Pear---> Narrow shoulders and smaller upper body with larger hips and thighs

Here is a couple websites that can help you:

http://www.bodyshapefashionadvice.com/apple.php

http://www.istylista.com/blog/-/what-body-shape-am-i_158/

And as for the wedding being in November, anything below the knee should be just fine but it all depends on your comfort level and whatever flatters your body shape, skin tone, etc. Have fun with it! Hope this helped a little :smile:
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Oh, btw...I did notice, but forgot to comment...great job on your 49 lbs lost! You are doing great!!!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Kohls. Just go to Kohls.

Oh and grab a belt that sits high on your waist, adding this to the dress will give a great shape.

I put my belt under my boobs in this dress and threw on a pair of cowgirl boots...

I could have added heels to dress it up more.

The thick belt makes it a little less casual

Completely agree with this. I've gotten really nice dresses that are no pattern business casual type dresses and they are super flattering.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I would go with a cute baby doll dress above the knees but not too short.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My husband's brother is getting married. Naturally, since we had his brother as the Best Man, my husband will be the Best Man for his brother. I, however, am not in the wedding party. I'm great friends with the bride though, and would love to look great in photos of her day. I'm curious though, what kind of dress do I wear?
    So I'm not in the wedding, but my husband is which means we'll be photographed. I don't want to look "bad" by wearing the wrong dress. Is tea length acceptable? Do I have to shop for a full length gown? The wedding is in November so I have plenty of time to look for this dress. Mostly just looking for suggestions. It's an evening wedding, but I'm not sure how formal it is going to be, but it's not some jeans and t-shirt wedding, I know that much... Is there a rule book somewhere for this kind of girly stuff? lol!

When my hubby and I were in this situation, I wore a black sleeveless sheath/column, knee length dress. It had colorful flowers embroidered around the neckline, so it didn't look like I was going to a funeral or anything. I felt very appropriate in it.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Red hair + Red dress... no bueno!
  • Tonnina
    Options

I don't have red hair, I have red IN my hair. I'm actually naturally dark strawberry blonde, but I have natural high lights (light blondes and whites) and natural low lights (browns and blacks) It's very crazy to have every hair color appear naturally on one head. My Ma liked the way I looked in the darker reds.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

That's a bit unfair. As long as you don't have a ruddy complexion, it's perfectly acceptable to wear a red dress. Heck, I even wear red lipstick, although not with a red dress. That would be a little over the top.
  • QueenGorgo
    QueenGorgo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Does the invitation indicate black or white tie or just suggest formal wear? Can you ask the bride to clarify the dress code? Cocktail length is generally fine for weddings. If you want to look fantastic you need a dress that fits well. Don't go for strapless just because those dresses are so ubiquitous, especially if the bride is planning on wearing a strapless dress. Find a dressmaker and either have the dress made, or if that's not possible, take an off the rack dress to your dressmaker to be altered. A great fit and supportive undergarments (ok, Spanx... or other granny knickers) are behind looking fabulous regardless of your size.

And make sure you have a good bra. You want the girls hoisted as high as the heavens, and not to have to be constantly readjusting.

This is exactly right I believe...you gotta start with the right foundation, so the bra/spanx/hosiery issue has to be taken care of..try to find a really great color that makes you glowy looking but don't get crazy with the sparkle or the pattern..it's a great idea to contact the bride if you can to find out what the dress code is because that dictates the length. Normally the more formal the wedding the longer the dress..and the most important part is the fit..so find a higher end seamstress who's used to working on really nice dresses cause they know how to make a dress look like it was made for your body..and I saw someone mention bringing a wrap or a jacket of some sort, that's really important too cause even if the wedding/reception is inside it's probably going to be a little cool..

I don't think anyone could go wrong with an empire waist and an A line skirt- depending on your body style you can look for a slimmer A line or a little fuller...
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    Options

I don't have red hair, I have red IN my hair. I'm actually naturally dark strawberry blonde, but I have natural high lights (light blondes and whites) and natural low lights (browns and blacks) It's very crazy to have every hair color appear naturally on one head. My Ma liked the way I looked in the darker reds.

I have deep read hair and I look awesome in red... its about the complexion and how snazzy the dress. You don't want to be jessica Rabbit but there are plenty other options.

Strawberry blonde hair is beautiful in red. Go with a color that makes you FEEL alive!
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Lucky you! You get to be color coordinated AND fabulous!

No, you don't need a full length dress unless this wedding is formal. My suggestion is find a dress that is more like a "cocktail dress" -- something in a beautiful fabric -- I recommend no prints or sequins.. unless it's VERY understated and not ALL over.. solid colors.. RICH colors.. beautiful fabric.. all of your bling should come from accessories.. killer shoes.. glittery handbag.. big, shimmery jewelry.. your dress will be your canvas.

choose something that glides over your curves (like a delicious sateen jersey) but doesn't CLING too tightly.. perhaps it should float away from the body at the knee or thigh.. it should breathe and move with you but not restrict you. The last thing you ever want to do is feel uncomfortable because if you feel it, you'll look it.. and you want to look FABULOUS all the time, effortlessly! :)

If the wedding is scheduled in warm weather, go ahead and go strapless (with a GOOD, SOLID underpinning and a VERY good strapless bra).. and carry a wrap.. wear a gorgeous chunky, bright and glittery necklace so you won't feel "naked" up top. If it's in cooler months.. see if you can find a boatneck style short sleeve.. (think audrey hepburn).. again... something simple that you can dress up with fabulous, once in a lifetime accessories.

AND TAKE PICTURES!!

Stef