Calves????? HELPPPP

Options
I HATEEEEEEEE MY CALVES!!! That is the only part of my body that I'm having a hard time slimming down. I dont want to build muscle in them they will stay huge so i want to slim before toning =/

Any suggestions or workouts for slim? HELP :(

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You can't do anything to "fix" just one part of your body. If you have big calves, you have big calves. I know because I have big calves. BUT, now that I've lost 15 pounds, my calves, along with the rest of me, are much smaller than they once were and they don't really bother me any more. I wouldn't worry about bulking up your muscles -- that doesn't really happen unless you're doing massive training for body building or something. -- Oh, BTW, I exercise daily, mixing up cardio like dance and step aerobics with circuit training and hiking. I love what working with weights has done for my body -- don't be afraid!

NOTE: The above is my opinion as a regular person who has had a similar experience to the OP. If you don't agree or don't like my opinion, go ahead and disregard my post. No hating required. Have a nice day.
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    There is no such thing as "spot fat reduction", if you work the muscle it will tone. Work your whole body and your whole body burns fat, as long as there is a calorie deficit.

One thing I do know, calves are very hard to train tomaake them grow and the exercises to train calves are tedious but simple.
  • TheUglyFriend
    Options
    OK let me rephrase.... I'm not looking for a "spot reduction" method just good leg workout.
  • TheUglyFriend
    Options
    If i work my legs it will work everything just wanting to know what everyones workouts for legs are
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I run, jump rope, spin, jumpin jacks, leg press, deadlifts, squats, etc.
  • TheUglyFriend
    Options

Spin as in like what we did as kids?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If you've got the genetics for good calves then just be proud. I rarely work mine and they're so big. If you're like me then just avoid doing direct work on the muscle but you need to do squats, lunges, dead lifts to make those upper legs and glutes look nice.

My leg routine is about 4 sets of squats (barbell or upright machine if someone is hogging the squat rack), 4 sets of lunges, 4-5 sets of dead lifts, quad extensions, and maybe some leg curl machine work but I don't do that every week. The dead lifts will kill your hamstring and glutes alone.
  • TheUglyFriend
    Options
    If you've got the genetics for good calves then just be proud. I rarely work mine and they're so big. If you're like me then just avoid doing direct work on the muscle but you need to do squats, lunges, dead lifts to make those upper legs and glutes look nice.

My leg routine is about 4 sets of squats (barbell or upright machine if someone is hogging the squat rack), 4 sets of lunges, 4-5 sets of dead lifts, quad extensions, and maybe some leg curl machine work but I don't do that every week. The dead lifts will kill your hamstring and glutes alone.

thanks for your input :)
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Spin as in like what we did as kids?

No spin class at the gym
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Spin is a class used on stationary bikes.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, good mornings (To some degree) weighted calf raises, cycling, thai boxing.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    How fit are you? To what equipment have you got access?

My leg workout (which is more full body but, so be it)

Plyo Squat Jumps - doesn't matter about height, just leave the ground

Squats with DB by side, squat up swinging DB overhead with a calf raise - ie stand on tiptoe and then back down, try and use DB on way down to complete the negative portion of a bicep curl.

Lunges with DB placed in front of the shoulders and my lead foot goes onto a weight bench or double step (I use 25 kilo DB's)

Side Steps (stand to the side one leg raises you onto the bench) onto bench. DB on shoulder doing the stepping and other DB by my side

Jumping Jacks (with variations)

Pendulum DB swing, with row on cable machine from squat position

On the cable with the pulley high, lunges with chest press

On cable - assisted pistols with row at bottom position and the row put back to start point before raising on leg

Finish with 5 minutes on a fit vibe withcalf raises, etc etc and using squat and lunge positions

Stretch

Just legs -

cable squats
    DB front squats
    cable lunges
    cable deadlifts
    Leg Curl - super heavy 5 sets of to fail and dropping weight
    Leg extension - enough weight to do 15 reps but then leave the weight stack at start position for 30 seconds rest then 2 more sets
    Leg Press - one leg presses with external and internal rotation. That is, toes pointed out and toes pointed in
    Fit Vibe or whatever to do calves and cool down

Also love, cable machine - from squat handles at shoulder level, step onto bench, high knee raise and shoulder press - excellent for seeing how well your core and balance has developed.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    big/fat calves are pretty much genetic. chances are if you were heavier before, you have large calves because they had to support your body. there isn't a lot you can do to make them smaller other than continue to lose weight.

I don't work my calves, so mine are pretty small.

My leg work consists of squats, box squats, good mornings, deadlift variations, and sled drags.
  • freedski1
    freedski1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I, too, have giant calves. Giant. They've always been giant. When I'm heavier, they don't carry much fat, but are still giant; when I am thinner, they are still giant. I teach Zumba fitness, so that has made them even more giant. Any kind of leg exercise will bulk them if you have a tendency to put muscle on, like I do.

There are two options:
    1) Acceptance. Big, muscular calves are sexy. People will see your definition and swoon.
    2) Pilates (or pilates-related exercise) and ballet. Both of those modalities can help you achieve an overall longer (read, leaner) line in your limbs. It may help your calves look less bulky, but no guarantees.

I've chosen acceptance. That and a nice fake tan, carefully chosen hemlines, healthy skin, and a nice heel will make you feel like a million bucks.
  • vtachycardia
    Options

I don't work my calves, so mine are pretty small.

Isn't that the problem with calves, they work all the time you are not seated or laying down. Every squat, every deadlift, good morning, clean and jerk fires the calves. Which is the reason someone having well muscled calves and with excellent definition gets bodybuilders envious. They take such a lot of work to sculpt and develop as a muscle, as fat covering a muscle it is the same old story. Lose weight, expose muscle, work muscle develop muscle.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Since I've started running, my calves are the one part of my body I am actually proud of... The rest is still a work in progress...
  • TheUglyFriend
    Options
    How fit are you? To what equipment have you got access?

My leg workout (which is more full body but, so be it)

Plyo Squat Jumps - doesn't matter about height, just leave the ground

Squats with DB by side, squat up swinging DB overhead with a calf raise - ie stand on tiptoe and then back down, try and use DB on way down to complete the negative portion of a bicep curl.

Lunges with DB placed in front of the shoulders and my lead foot goes onto a weight bench or double step (I use 25 kilo DB's)

Side Steps (stand to the side one leg raises you onto the bench) onto bench. DB on shoulder doing the stepping and other DB by my side

Jumping Jacks (with variations)

Pendulum DB swing, with row on cable machine from squat position

On the cable with the pulley high, lunges with chest press

On cable - assisted pistols with row at bottom position and the row put back to start point before raising on leg

Finish with 5 minutes on a fit vibe withcalf raises, etc etc and using squat and lunge positions

Stretch

Just legs -

cable squats
    DB front squats
    cable lunges
    cable deadlifts
    Leg Curl - super heavy 5 sets of to fail and dropping weight
    Leg extension - enough weight to do 15 reps but then leave the weight stack at start position for 30 seconds rest then 2 more sets
    Leg Press - one leg presses with external and internal rotation. That is, toes pointed out and toes pointed in
    Fit Vibe or whatever to do calves and cool down

Also love, cable machine - from squat handles at shoulder level, step onto bench, high knee raise and shoulder press - excellent for seeing how well your core and balance has developed.

Awesome! Thanks
  • thisisheatherr
    thisisheatherr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I, too, have giant calves. Giant. They've always been giant. When I'm heavier, they don't carry much fat, but are still giant; when I am thinner, they are still giant. I teach Zumba fitness, so that has made them even more giant. Any kind of leg exercise will bulk them if you have a tendency to put muscle on, like I do.

There are two options:
    1) Acceptance. Big, muscular calves are sexy. People will see your definition and swoon.
    2) Pilates (or pilates-related exercise) and ballet. Both of those modalities can help you achieve an overall longer (read, leaner) line in your limbs. It may help your calves look less bulky, but no guarantees.

I've chosen acceptance. That and a nice fake tan, carefully chosen hemlines, healthy skin, and a nice heel will make you feel like a million bucks.

THIS! I have ginormous calves (larger circumference than my lower thigh, no joke!) and certain exercises just make them bigger (have you ever noticed a cycler's calves? muscular and defined and big? So yah, I rarely do cycling or spinning).

BUT! Cardio slims my calves just by peeling off the fat, and working the quads & glutes really balances my legs out. Squats and lunges, squats and lunges, squats & lunges. Lots of great variations out there for squats & lunges. Also leg lifts in all their glorious variety, and butt lifts (dancer style to get the long/lean look). Plyo, too: squat jumps, plie squat jumps, jumping jacks, burpees, lunge jumps. And I run. And I walk. Like a lot.

As I get slimmer (not losing *any* weight, seriously, but I've lost nearly 3 inches off my waist since March!) my calves get slimmer. And as I get slimmer, having genetically big calves means my legs are starting to look pretty good!
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options

There are two options:

THIS! I have ginormous calves (larger circumference than my lower thigh, no joke!) and certain exercises just make them bigger (have you ever noticed a cycler's calves? muscular and defined and big? So yah, I rarely do cycling or spinning).

BUT! Cardio slims my calves just by peeling off the fat, and working the quads & glutes really balances my legs out. Squats and lunges, squats and lunges, squats & lunges. Lots of great variations out there for squats & lunges. Also leg lifts in all their glorious variety, and butt lifts (dancer style to get the long/lean look). Plyo, too: squat jumps, plie squat jumps, jumping jacks, burpees, lunge jumps. And I run. And I walk. Like a lot.

As I get slimmer (not losing *any* weight, seriously, but I've lost nearly 3 inches off my waist since March!) my calves get slimmer. And as I get slimmer, having genetically big calves means my legs are starting to look pretty good!

THIS AND THIS!

My calves are outrageous! And they have very noticeable FAT on them. All my weight loss is in the upper body. I look lean up top...then you look down and OMG!
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options

There are two options:

THIS AND THIS!

My calves are outrageous! And they have very noticeable FAT on them. All my weight loss is in the upper body. I look lean up top...then you look down and OMG!

UGH, so nice to find people to relate to! I HATE my calves! Like one of the posters above, they're larger than my lower thigh. No matter what size I am they (unfortunately) stay huge - when I last lost a lot of weight and was 59 kilos (a few years ago now sadly, BMI of 20) they were still almost 15 inches around. I even went to a plastic surgeon to enquire about liposuction - because at that point my upper body was looking scrawny and I became fixated on my calves - but was told that genetically, I had larger muscles there and there wasn't a lot I could do to change it.

I'm currently about 1 kilo over weight and they are about 16 inches around. I still wish they were different, but have begrudgingly accepted that they are here to stay. In saying that, I would be interested in any miracle stories from people who once had ginormous calves but then discovered the method to achieving Victoria's secret model pins :-D