Is this recipe "clean"?

Options
aprilt83
aprilt83 Posts: 14 Member
I'm modifying some of my favorite recipes to meet clean standards, can someone tell me if this meets that?

Turkey Meatloaf Muffins

For meatloaf:
1lb lean ground turkey
1 slice whole wheat bread
1 egg white
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
splash of skim milk (I eyeball this)
dash of worchestershire sauce (eyeball here too)
ground pepper to taste

For topping:
equal parts ketchup (Heinz low sugar), mustard, and brown sugar

Combine all meatloaf ingredients then add topping and bake in a 12 portion muffin tin at 400 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.

I'm open to suggestions for improvement too... I plan on making these to eat throughout the week.

Replies

• think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your standards are by clean.

In my opinion, the ketchup, worcestershire, mustard (depending on what kind) and brown sugar are not clean.

Make sure the whole wheat bread is not enriched and made from whole grains. Or use oats instead.

Use tomato sauce with spices in place of the ketchup, molasses in place of the brown sugar and use a stone ground mustard with minimal ingredients. Spice it all up to taste.

Good luck!
  • aprilt83
    aprilt83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I can handle those changes!
  • ockara
    ockara Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'd say depends on your own definition. Whole Wheat bread isn't clean to me, and I agree with the other recommendations too.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Clean enough for me. But if you wanted to go cleaner you could probably sub out the bread for Ezekial wheat sprouted and sub out the ketchup for Hunts natural.