Weather forecasting punishments!!

Options
1969ned
1969ned Posts: 219
Taken from "The Telegraph".

"Netherlands councillors call for fines for wrong weather forecasts
Local councillors in the Netherlands are calling for weather forecasters who get their predictions wrong to be fined."

Bit harsh you think??

Replies

• cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Living on the US Gulf Coast all my life, I've had to edure hurricanes, but more annoying than hurricanes are the countless over-predicted number of hurricanes, and predictions of "how horrible the hurricanes will be compared to last year."

I propose these suggestions:

#1, whoever is the most off in their prediction number compared to the actual number of hurricanes has to retire. We can make it a nice ceremony, like in the NBA and hang their suit from the rafters with their channel number emblazoned on the lapel.

#2, the top 20 forecasters who were the most off in their predictions are the names of the next year's hurricanes.
  • 1969ned
    Options
    oh i like them - very good :laugh:
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Taken from "The Telegraph".

"Netherlands councillors call for fines for wrong weather forecasts
    Local councillors in the Netherlands are calling for weather forecasters who get their predictions wrong to be fined."

Bit harsh you think??

There's a reason that they say XX% chance of rain... nobody can 100% predict jack squat when it comes to mother nature... but yeah, if you're consistently way off, get a new day job... fines can be appropriate if they're misleading consistently to a large audience.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I work at a military base that flies B-1 bombers... our weather guys here dont make mistakes....
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Living on the US Gulf Coast all my life, I've had to edure hurricanes, but more annoying than hurricanes are the countless over-predicted number of hurricanes, and predictions of "how horrible the hurricanes will be compared to last year."

I propose these suggestions:

#1, whoever is the most off in their prediction number compared to the actual number of hurricanes has to retire. We can make it a nice ceremony, like in the NBA and hang their suit from the rafters with their channel number emblazoned on the lapel.

#2, the top 20 forecasters who were the most off in their predictions are the names of the next year's hurricanes.

OMG!!! too funny thanks!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Don't you think this will just lead to more vague weather forecasts?
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Don't you think this will just lead to more vague weather forecasts?

Forecast for tomorrow, chance of rain between 0 and 100 percent.. Temperature will probably be above freezing (summer time) and there's a good chance that you might see either the sun or clouds!
  • 1969ned
    Options
    ......(possibly) :laugh:
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    where is the Hippy Dippy weatherman when you need him? "Tonight's forecast - Dark....."