crunches

Options
I can't for the life of me do a proper crunch. Has anyone had success using the Ab Roller or some other in home ab devise??

Replies

• LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You should try doing core workouts! planks rock for the entire core! when you do a crunch you always wanna make sure your lower back in on the floor! they do say abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym! lol...good luck!
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    I agree - planks are amazing, then you can advance to side planks and such.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If you really want to do crunchs, I had a personal trainer tell me to imagine that I had a tennis ball between my chin and my neck. That stopped me from just pulling on my neck and going up to actually using my abs to pull me up. For me the best way I have ever done crunchs that I can feel is on an exercise ball. I lay on the ball make sure my butt is off of it and it helps me do better. Like others said there are better work outs or abs, but I do still do crunchs in addition to those.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Standard crunches are about as useless of an exercise at there is.

Planks are much better easy ab exercises.

If you are referring to ab wheels (wheel with a handle) they are extremely difficult. Moderate difficulty from the knees, but at full extension, hands overhead and straight legs, it requires extremely strong abs to do the full range of motion. Very, very few people can do the full range of motion with an ab wheel. In that sense it is a tool that can help you get extremely strong abs, however be prepared for a massive dose of humble pie when first trying one.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    First, why is that you feel you can't do a crunch?

Second, there are more effective ab and core exercises like planks mentioned above.

Third, if you want better abs lose fat. No amount of crunches or ab exercises will give you a nice stomach unless you eliminate fat. The need for direct core exercises is relatively small. Do some, like planks, but don't expect to see a lot of results from the exercises themselves.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    If you really want to do crunchs, I had a personal trainer tell me to imagine that I had a tennis ball between my chin and my neck. That stopped me from just pulling on my neck and going up to actually using my abs to pull me up. For me the best way I have ever done crunchs that I can feel is on an exercise ball. I lay on the ball make sure my butt is off of it and it helps me do better. Like others said there are better work outs or abs, but I do still do crunchs in addition to those.

^^ THIS ^^
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I can't for the life of me do a proper crunch. Has anyone had success using the Ab Roller or some other in home ab devise??

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGhmXmXvotRpSm2YjC7WrMaS8OHwRbuhCW7T-M0LhFGEbaYRSRGA

This is what I use and it can burn like a mofo but its very comfortable on my back and neck. I am a bigger guy at 230lbs so I am done trying to do perfect traditional crunches.

Works comfortably for me and my abs.
    9755412_7737_thumb.jpg
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGhmXmXvotRpSm2YjC7WrMaS8OHwRbuhCW7T-M0LhFGEbaYRSRGA

This is what I use and it can burn like a mofo but its very comfortable on my back and neck. I am a bigger guy at 230lbs so I am done trying to do perfect traditional crunches.

Works comfortably for me and my abs.
    9755412_7737_thumb.jpg

i totally forgot about this!!!!!