To bread or not to bread

Options
Hi all,

My fave food has to be sandwiches (its an English thing!), and I know that I cant eat sandwiches when I am trying to lose weight because I know that when I am lazy, I will have sandwiches / baguettes for dinner.

What are the best alternatives in the UK? (perhaps a healthy roll or wrap?)
A friend has found 70 cal/slice Warburtons Bread, any other ideas or even healthy sandwich ideas?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Replies

• bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    dang it, i thought that said breed.....
  • jdowns51660
    jdowns51660 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't think breeding is nutritional...lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

My fave food has to be sandwiches (its an English thing!), and I know that I cant eat sandwiches when I am trying to lose weight because I know that when I am lazy, I will have sandwiches / baguettes for dinner.

What are the best alternatives in the UK? (perhaps a healthy roll or wrap?)
    A friend has found 70 cal/slice Warburtons Bread, any other ideas or even healthy sandwich ideas?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Why can't you eat sandwiches when you are trying to lose weight?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm still not clear on why you can't eat sandwiches for dinner. Can you elaborate?
    EDIT: Acg is fast today.
  • jdowns51660
    Options
    Because I tend to substitute actual meals for sandwiches. Plus two sandwiches for lunch, there is 600 cals minimum, without even counting a drink, crisps etc.

Its a proven fact that you cannot have a sandwich without crisps.

Tends to take longer to burn off too.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have them over in the UK, but I've been making delicious sandwiches on 'bagel thins.' They're only 110 calories and totally satisfy my desire for bread. Here's a link to the product-
    http://www.thomas100calorie.com/Our-Products/Bagels/Bagel-Thins/Thomas-100-Whole-Wheat-Bagel-Thins-Bagels/Default.aspx
    If I recall, though, when I've been over in England visiting family, I've had a heck of a time finding products made by this company, but perhaps they've expanded or they're marketed in your country with a different name?
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree to have a sandwich you have t have crisps and yes there are the low options (French fries) but McCoys Nomomomomom

I use crackerbread 19 calories a piece :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Because I tend to substitute actual meals for sandwiches. Plus two sandwiches for lunch, there is 600 cals minimum, without even counting a drink, crisps etc.

Basically it's lack of will power, not that sandwiches actually prevent you from losing weight. You could eat sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and dinner and lose fine

Try eating 1 sandwich and then a smaller portion of crisps and sub out the drink with water.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Basically it's lack of will power, not that sandwiches actually prevent you from losing weight. You could eat sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and dinner and lose fine

Try eating 1 sandwich and then a smaller portion of crisps and sub out the drink with water.

^ This is what I'd do.
  • fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options

This.

Load up the sandwich with veggies, no cheese, and use avocado instead of traditional condiments. Have baked crisps instead of regular (or even sweet potato crisps ::drool::), and, yes yes yes! to the water.

Just get a balanced diet of fruits, veggies, proteins, etc. Be physically active every day, and you'll be fine.
  • jdowns51660
    Options
    Cheers Guys! Will do.
    @ChelleFeegan - I was all over the crackerbread + marmite...this is nom nom!

I'm a sucker for the ol' standard Salt n Vinegar n Prawn Cocktail Walkers...good shout with the Mccoys tho!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches are actual meals! Just eat'em if you like it. Sandwiches are awesome. You don't need a plate with nicely compartmentalized food for it to be a meal.
  • saraast
    saraast Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use Wonder 80 calorie wheat buns!
  • bobcooks920
    Options
    The sandwich was invented so someone could eat while working. It's an actual meal; use lean protein, lots of veggies, and a whole grain bread, and you're golden!
  • lukasmy2k
    lukasmy2k Posts: 10
    Options

But it does count as cardio my man, and you welcome for the 70 cal bread!! ;) warburtons cos you dont eat hovis crap lol
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Cheers Guys! Will do.
    @ChelleFeegan - I was all over the crackerbread + marmite...this is nom nom!

I'm a sucker for the ol' standard Salt n Vinegar n Prawn Cocktail Walkers...good shout with the Mccoys tho!

Delicious that's what I had today :)

Flame grilled steak McCoys *drooling*
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I was in co-op earlier and they had these 100 calorie sandwich thins...didn't realise those had made it to the Uk, but they have. They looked quite nice and you could pile one with filling. I always tended to prefer wraps to sanwiches as they seem to use less bread and have more filling.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    The attempt can be a great workout though.
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i found regular wheat bread at the 99 cent store of all places that was 100 calories for 2 slices.

it fills me up, unlike those sandwich thins.

just read labels.

you can have what you like and still get fit.