Need To Lose the Weight AGAIN, But...

Options
I lost over 25lbs last year using MFP, and did AWESOME. It actually only took me 6 months. Well, then I started an anxiety medication, and not only do I have the last 10 I was hanging onto, but another 15-20lbs to lose. (Not sure the exact number because I haven't pulled out my scale in a while...). Anyway, I had my dr switch my medication because my efforts to lose weight are failing for various reasons. I logged my food today, and I feel like I ate terribly---similar to what I have been recently. And I am FAR FAR under my calorie goal. This NEVER happened to me when I lost weight before. I am wondering if it is not that I'm eating too much, but that it's not ENOUGH.

MFP gives me about 1650 calories per day, and I usually go to the gym and burn anywhere between 200-400 depending on what I do. I'm not sure if I should be spreading them out differently or what. Before, I was working out BEFORE breakfast in my living room, and now I am going to the gym after breakfast (due to childcare hours at my gym). I just can't figure out what it was that helped me lose weight, and what is different now.

Replies

• OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but I can share what is working for me and maybe you can try it!
    So far I have lost 41 pounds and that was all from eating clean, raw or steamed veggies, salads, fruit (in moderation), whole grains, and lean proteins (chicken, turkey, fish).

MFP suggested for my size for me to consume 2,000 calories a day and burn at least 300 calories a day! I tried it for the first 3 months I was on MFP and didn't lose an ounce!

Since then I have reduced my calorie intake to 1,200 cals a day and I burn between 500 to 900 calories a day from exercise. I DO NOT eat back my calories! I usually have a deficit of 3,000 calories a week and I have been losing about 1 to 2 pounds a week.

Now don't get me wrong, I do allow myself one day to consume 1 thing that is bad for me but I make sure even then not to go over my cals by more than 400 that day! Hope this has helped! Good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • a1phabeth
    a1phabeth Posts: 7
    Options
    Are you eating the same foods as before? Are you getting enough protein? Drinking enough water? Is it possible you can see a nutritionist?
  • dkweathington
    dkweathington Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    :smile: i have been there with the anti-anxiety meds. my doc called them fat pills and she cut the dose in half. i am not recommending you do that at all, but i do know it can keep you from losing weight. your mental health is very important just as your physical health, so i would keep eating healthy and exercising. talk your doctor about your problem (if the current meds arent helping your weight loss) and see if they can help. :smile:
  • mrsd1006
    mrsd1006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have only been on the new meds for about a month, but have only been eating better for two weeks. My doctor told me, when she switched me due to the weight gain, that the one she switched me to has SIGNIFICANTLY less reports of weight gain than the one I was on. I'm going to assume that, if it messed with my metabolism, that I'm going to need to be patient. I was actually struggling with anxiety during the time I lost the weight---on days I did not wake up at the same time and not exercise, I was anxious. I think for me, I felt out of control inside, and I loved having something to control.

I have toyed around with the idea of going back to homeopathic remedies for anxiety. I felt mentally/emotionally great on the last med....but when I started getting fat again after all that hard work...I was SUPER tired, taking naps, and waking up from them starving. I could have eaten an entire pizza and it didn't phase me. I'm noticing my hunger getting under control, but it's slow.
  • mrsd1006
    mrsd1006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the same foods as before? Are you getting enough protein? Drinking enough water? Is it possible you can see a nutritionist?

Some, not all. And probably not. I drink tons of water...and I actually have a friend who manages a nutritionists office...so she may know something.

It's expensive to eat healthy so that's been tough lately.
  • a1phabeth
    a1phabeth Posts: 7
    Options
    Regarding your meds: Your body really really needs more time to adjust. Give it another two to six months before you'll be adjusted and seeing results. A mental health problem like anxiety is definitely going to cause some stress on your body as well. I have an adjustment disorder and am on Nortriptyline (normally an antidepressant) to stop nerve pain. Both seriously affect my weight loss and mood. I strongly recommend keeping an emotional journal or notes on your MFP. Take note of days you are feeling anxious or stressed and days you feel great. Go back and look at what you've eaten those days and what you've weighed and look for a pattern.

Regarding your diet: I'm super glad you're getting enough water! I'm a stickler for that. I'm hoping you can get a hookup at that nutritionists office. If not, or in the meantime, I've got a pamphlet from my nutritionist for a really simple 1500 cal diet if you want to take a look at it. I'd be more than happy to email it to you if you want to PM me.

Simple things like a protein snack of a string cheese in the middle of the day might be just what you need to ward off the fatigue. Make sure you're getting protein in every meal. Breakfast might be a waffle, a greek yogurt (protein and carb!), or a glass of milk. Lunch maybe some turkey or chicken on a pita pocket with some cheese OR a salad with a hard boiled egg and some low fat dressing. Dinner might be some chicken, mashed potatoes, and broccoli. Just some suggestions! I know it's expensive but try small adjustments that will keep you full like soymilk or string cheese. And keep asking questions! I'm happy to help!