Drinking water before you eat.....?

Options
Does any one think that if you drink a glass or so of water before you eat, it helps you to lose weight?

Replies

• DietandVlogsense
    DietandVlogsense Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Does any one think that if you drink a glass or so of water before you eat, it helps you to lose weight?
    I believe this is one of Bob Harper's (Biggest Loser Coach) top tips for weightloss. I try and do this as an extra helper and I've doing well so far, so would not disagree with it.

Nice pic BTW, Disneyworld by chance?
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Water is good for a lot of things, so drinking more never hurts! But it also helps fill your stomach so you will end up filling it less with food if there's a bunch of water already in it. :)

(at least so far from my internet research, I'm no medical professional, but it makes sense to me!)

And water's good for ya!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this recently, and I've noticed that it helps quite a bit. Its no miracle solution, but I find that the water fills me up just enough that its easier to eat only the amount of food that I need to satisfy my hunger, instead of continuously picking at food throughout the time I'm seated at the family dinner table.

So yes, I would recommend this method. It helps me eat mindfully.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It never really makes much difference to my hunger appetite, personally, but I still have a glass before dinner regardless, from habit now. It is good to keep things flowing anyway.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    The water probably makes you feel fuller faster causing you to eat less...which means consuming less calories which could obviously aid in weight loss. It's more of a tool to keep your appetite in check...not a miracle drink that erases calories consumed.
  • mama2beau
    mama2beau Posts: 21
    Options
    Absolutely! Water is Grrreat! (sorry about the tony the tiger reference) when i am actively working on getting in shape the more water i drink the better results, plus it helps to keep my full and it has kept me to be able to moderate my food intake!
    Go for the Water!!!!
  • 21June
    21June Posts: 99
    Options
    Yes Pic was taken in Disneyland, California, thanks, :smile:
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yes it helps me fill up, I also drink water while eating I also noticed that it helps my digestive system
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Can't remember the research in detail but I recall a study that suggested water has NO effect on filling up the stomach causing a person to eat less because it is processed so quickly.

Soup is a different matter so maybe have a small bowl of soup as a starter?

Traditional Chinese Medicine recommends tea rather than water or no liquids at all with a meal (have after) as it can cause difficulties with digestion.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well it's water so, unless you've already drank gallons of the stuff, it definitely would do you some good! As for weight loss, the water might stop you from overeating because it can take the edge off of hunger. Also, sometimes if you think you're hungry you are actually thirsty, so drinking a glass of water as a rule might help you to differentiate if you actually need that extra snack or if you were just a little dehydrated.
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find that I'm now drinking 7-9 glasses of water in the past couple days and that being said I don't feel like eating all the calories I'm required to eat. Two nights ago I stopped at Tim Horton's to buy 2 chicken snacker wraps and brought them home to bump up my calories. After eating them I felt like I was uncomfortably full. Which leads me to believe that water's filling me up and I'm being satisfied by the calories I am eating even if it's lower than what I'm required to eat.