Is it ideal to have a goal to lose 30 lbs in 3 months?

Options
Hey giys... I'm 5"2, my starting weight was 174 lbs and I now weigh 162. I started last April and the weight loss was slow only because I haven't really been taking it "seriously".. When i decided to lose the extra weight, i thought i'd think of it as a "lifestyle change" and not something that i need to do so i can look good in a bikini this summer. I guess you could say that I've become a little "desperate" recently because i'm planning to go on a vacation on November and i wanna look good in winter clothes. Hahaha!! Do you think 30 lbs in 3 months is a realistic goal or is it too much? Got any tips about diet and exercise? Looking forward to hearing from you guys soon.. Thank you! :happy:

Replies

• animefiend7
    animefiend7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure, with facts and such, but I talked to a few of my friends who have degree's in human performance and recreation before I started dieting and working out, and they said that a "healthy" approach to weight loss is a goal of 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week of dieting. One of them recommended that the fastest way to initially lose weight was to go on a "No-Wheat" aka Gluten Free diet for the first month, but that it is actually dangerous to do it afterwards as there are many benefits to a wheat inclusive diet. Hope that helps.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    No, it is not realistic. 1-2lbs/week = 12-24lb in 3months. So perhaps 18lb would be reasonable.

Do you want to lose the weight for an event, or for your life?
  • celieber
    celieber Posts: 9
    Options
    I've lost ~25 lbs in just over 2 months, so it is definitely possible. Just use the do it method.
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    Possible...yes. Ideal...no.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have been here for just 2 months and you can see from my ticker what I have lost so far. I wouldn't want to lose much faster or it wont stay off.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Ideal? Only if your ideal is not meeting your goals.

It might work if you were 262 instead. But at your weight ... nah, really, no. 15 is probably reasonable.

Eat, get some exercise, lose 10-15 lbs, get a fancy hairdo and some nice clothes before your vacation. You'll have a great time.
  • AllDIVA
    AllDIVA Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It is not unrealistic... However you have to focus. I am 5 6 and 229 as of yesterday. Sunday July 15, 2012 I weighed 234.4. I joined a contest at my gym and the winner receives $10,000.00.12 week challenge. My weekly goal is 5 pounds a week. Now many people after reading this will say it is too much but I eat well but better choices.
    When I focus the weight comes off. when I do not it doesn't. high protein low carbs. veggies and protein in the evenings. eat carbs earlier in the day. melon fruit instead of high sugar fruit. My indulgence is coffee with splenda and cream. I am not ready to give up my coffee yet.
    DO GET ME WRONG! I FALL OFF AND UNDER THE WAGON LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. LOL BUT it can be done. when or if you fall, get right back on the very next meal and keep it moving. I wish you much luck.
  • Bostoncoffee
    Bostoncoffee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Possible...yes. Ideal...no.

Love the shoes!