Please help me NOT be skinny fat!

Options
My sex: Male
My stats: 5'2" (yeah, my middle name is 'shortly')
Weight: 131 lbs
My workout: weights/strength training 3-4 times a week, cardio: I run 15 - 17 miles a week between 3 - 4miles per run @ 6mph
Nutrition: About 1600 calories a day

What I need help with: Belly fat / love handles

Thank you!

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    You have to lower your overall body fat percentage to get rid of that belly & you can only do it by eating at calorie deficit while continuing lifting weights.

EDIT: Oh I just saw the 1600 calorie a day, well thats OK for a guy. I'm also 5'2 but female & MFP also set me for that amount to maintain my weight. Maybe you try the bulk/cut cycle. Build muscle first by eating at surplus then when you're happy with the gain, its time to shift to fat loss to reveal muscles that also help you to burn fat all over including the belly
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Two questions: 1600 calories of what? What's the strength training plan you're using?
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    what are your macronutrient %'s and do you consume a lot of refined carbs/sugars or alcohol? these may add to belly fat/bloating

make your diary public so we can help you, but eating more protein, less salt and refined/procesed foods is a good way to be healthier and help you lose excess weight while retaining/gaining muscle
  • cmevans44
    cmevans44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First and foremost -- up your protein intake and reduce your carbs, cutting sugar and white flour -- even starchy vegetables --- althogether. You won't believe the difference it will make.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    First and foremost -- up your protein intake and reduce your carbs, cutting sugar and white flour -- even starchy vegetables --- althogether. You won't believe the difference it will make.

What do you have against white flour and starchy veggies?
  • todonn
    todonn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Run less. Lift heavy. Look into a CrossFit gym. More protein and good fats. Cut out the sugars, grains, potatoes.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Two words: Lift. Heavy.

:flowerforyou:
  • fswong
    fswong Posts: 10
    Options
    I find that the biggest thing is nutrition. So it doesn't just matter about calorie counting. So even if you eat 1600 calories a day it should be balanced with the right portions of vegetables, carbs, and protein for you. Lean protein and generally good carbs - sweet potato, corn, quinoa, brown rice, etc. Bad carbs to avoid would be what others have already stated, refined sugars, white carbs, enriched flours. If you like bread I would try ezekiel bread. Each meal should have contain all three categories.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    LIFFFFFFFT

Check out The New Rules of Lifting.. good info and workouts in there
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    DO NOT do the low carb/high protein bull****. It is not maintainable for life, and once you re-introduce carbohydrates you will quickly regain the weight back. It happens to people day in, day out.

Just eat clean, whole foods...lots of fruit & veggies, legumes like lentils and chickpeas, lots of whole grains like brown rice/quinoa and oats, lean protein like tofu/fish and chicken if you must, nuts & seeds + low fat dairy or dairy replacements such as soy milk/yoghurt etc. Drink lots of green tea, it is amazing for your metabolism, for flushing out toxins which cause a bloated appearance to the skin. Use herbs and spices to flavour your food and keep salt to a minimum, but don't fear it too much! ;) Allow yourself one day a week to include a cheat meal or two to rev your metabolism. Work daily activity into your lifestyle & keep lifting weights...this will help with your fat loss goals as muscle needs more energy than fat & boosts your metabolic rate. Make friends with low-fat methods of cooking like grilling, baking, boiling etc. DRINK LOTS OF WATER, and get enough sleep :)

x
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My advice is as follows:

1. Perform major compound lifts with a weight that challenges you at 8 repetitions per set: deadlifts, squats, bench press, military press, and rows (or pull-ups);

2. Eat 131 g of protein a day (1 g per lb. of your body weight); and

3. Consider whether you are doing too much cardio.

As to point #3, I continually perform statistical analysis to find my "minimum effective dose" for exercise and nutrition; that is to say, to create optimum conditions for fat loss and muscle retention. My analysis showed that my cardio was accelerating weight loss, but that way too much of that loss was coming from lean mass. Paradoxically, once I cut back my cardio, my body fat % started dropping rapidly. The amount of biochemical and physiological difference between people is significant, and too much cardio may or may not be a problem for you. One thing is for sure, though, and that is you won't lose lean mass by strength training or eating adequate protein.
  • vinaysp
    vinaysp Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies so far. Many of you had questions about what goes into those 1600 calories that I consume. The short answer is - nothing really great. My carb and fat intake is higher than what it probably should be. My protein intake is decent. This WILL be an area of focus.

Should I run less and lift more? Is 15 - 17 miles a week too much?
    Should I join a crossfit class?
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Eat a minimum of 1g\lb LBM protein, .45g\lb LBM fat, enough carbs for energy and sanity, enough "clean" foods and\or supps to get a good dose of MICROnutrients, and whatever you fill your remaining cals with does not matter. You can fill the rest with table sugar and lard if you like. Effects, if any, on body composition will be negligible. That of course is general health aside. Taking that into consideration you can go with the 10-20% rule as per this article all about eating "clean" foods. http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would eat more maybe at least 2100 cals, do less cardio and follow a good strength training routine like starting strength, stronglifts, new rules... Eat 130 grams of protein (one pound of body weight per gram)
  • vinaysp
    vinaysp Posts: 3
    Options
    If I were you I would eat more maybe at least 2100 cals, do less cardio and follow a good strength training routine like starting strength, stronglifts, new rules... Eat 130 grams of protein (one pound of body weight per gram)

I did some research and looked at my BMR and caloric intake recommendations based on the moderately-actively lifestyle that I described in my original post. It looks like the results of my calculation are close to the 2100 cals that you have mentioned.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later =)