Can you have too much protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Where is the study that shows animal source protein leads to osteoporosis quicker than other sources of protein? Pretty skeptical about that...

As for the 45 lbs of muscle gained in a month and got manly, clearly troll-tarding. If someone legitimately believes this, they are the most naive human being ever... Gaining 45 lbs in a month is hard enough(Only 5.25k calories extra a day), getting muscle at that rate would be nearly impossible...
  • mystyoceans
    Options
    Don't worry, you're ok. If you were supplementing with protein bars, muscle milk, whey powder, etc. every day, then, over time it would put stress on your kidneys and you could develop kidney stones. You'd need to consistently be around 200-300g a day for quite a while. Smile and know that you're on the right track!
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    *****************Um Ok Lean protein is fine.****************

I don't know why people are posting crazy stuff.

You can ask a doctor if you want. I did. I eat a ton of lean protein
    --> MFP just gives you an amount they suggest. It is somewhere to start.

You are not going to die, gain 45 pounds, and have bone loss just for eating a bit more lean protein.
    There is always some extreme case, but if you don't eat extreme, it won't be you.

Bottom line; YOU ARE FINE!!!!!

Who has my back?
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    45 lbs of muscle in a month? Where do I sign up!?!? Even if she just missed a dash and it was really supposed to be 4-5 lbs, it still makes my bull$#!+ detector peg.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    45 lbs of muscle in a month? Where do I sign up!?!? Even if she just missed a dash and it was really supposed to be 4-5 lbs, it still makes my bull$#!+ detector peg.

I dunno, it set off my sarcasm detector instead :P
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    No, be sure to get some fiber in too or you won't be able to poo.

This response is funny to me. Why? because I havnt pooped in 3 days. I have no urge to or anything. My protien is low about 1/2 of what MFP says it should be. Im thinking about getting a Soy protien supplement. Im not clogged or anyhing, there just isnt anything to poo.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine ate over 100g of protein per day and gained like 45 lbs of muscle in a month. She looked like a bulky she-hulk. Be careful!!

I hope you're joking here because this is extremely misleading. If my sarcasm radar is FUBAR and I'm just missing the joke then I'll hit myself later.

^ I'm trying to figure out if it's trolling too. She made 2 other posts recommending lifting 5lb dumbbells to avoid gaining muscle very rapidly. I'm guessing trolling.

Or complete ignorance. There are women out there who think you'll bulk up quickly. But, I'm going with trolling, cause, really? 45 pounds in a month? Doubt it.

I eat almost 300g of protein in a day and I have never had this happen to me, clearly I must have the wrong protein :grumble: . I want to gain 45 lbs of muscle in a month... What brand was that? I wonder if it was the kind of protein made from ACME since they make all kinds of crazy stuff. :laugh:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvaltK8gzMjMbZ8Khcw1xI1mBeWqpFc3nRCufNCdQ15Q0w0R3NTQ
    :laugh:
  • MorbidNTT
    MorbidNTT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Unless your consuming competition levels of Protein, then you're fine.
    Gained 45lbs of muscle... haha nice sarcasm there.

Check this out (bodybuilding.com is king)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy11.htm
  • smarty3
    smarty3 Posts: 11
    Options
    Don't know if this is accurate, but I thought it seemed helpful..
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It is false that eating a lot of protein on a regular cannot be harmful.

The metabolic waste from digesting large amounts of protein on a regular basis can damage the kidneys and liver. Consult with a doctor if you're going to eat a ton more than the recommended daily amount for your body weight. If you have kidney problems or insufficiency (say, damage from an infection) it is extremely unwise to eat a diet very high in protein.

Jeepers. The amount of nonsense on these boards, combined with a broad lack of general knowledge about nutrition, can actually be dangerous.
  • chrisrollins1
    Options
    1. If I had a dollar for every time I saw this exact post title...

2. There is so much misinformation and bad advice already in this thread that I really wish I hadn't even opened it. I feel stupider having done so.

If you want a true and thorough answer to your question, you may want to find a more reliable/scientific source than the MFP forums, but the bottom line is that to eat enough protein (in and of itself) to cause any major concern for your health, you would either have to chug protein shakes or stuff yourself with chicken breast all day long for a month. Don't worry about it. You're fine.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    A friend of mine ate over 100g of protein per day and gained like 45 lbs of muscle in a month. She looked like a bulky she-hulk. Be careful!!

I hope you're joking here because this is extremely misleading. If my sarcasm radar is FUBAR and I'm just missing the joke then I'll hit myself later.

^ I'm trying to figure out if it's trolling too. She made 2 other posts recommending lifting 5lb dumbbells to avoid gaining muscle very rapidly. I'm guessing trolling.

Or complete ignorance. There are women out there who think you'll bulk up quickly. But, I'm going with trolling, cause, really? 45 pounds in a month? Doubt it.

Im not as knowledgealbe as any of the respondants. But I really do not believe you can gain 45lbs of mucsle simply by eatting increased protien with out lifting. Well even lifting 45lbs??
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Unless you are taking in ridiculous amounts of protein, you have nothing to worry about (as others have said). That said, unless you are trying to bulk up, you are probably better off keeping the protein under 100 g per day because of the potential side effects that others mentioned. To my knowledge, the only people that have serious side effects from protein are the people taking in several hundred grams per day.
  • MorbidNTT
    MorbidNTT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat almost 300g of protein in a day and I have never had this happen to me, clearly I must have the wrong protein :grumble: . I want to gain 45 lbs of muscle in a month... What brand was that? I wonder if it was the kind of protein made from ACME since they make all kinds of crazy stuff. :laugh:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvaltK8gzMjMbZ8Khcw1xI1mBeWqpFc3nRCufNCdQ15Q0w0R3NTQ
    :laugh:

It was Muscletech 10000% more muscle and what not.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    No, be sure to get some fiber in too or you won't be able to poo.

Actually if your body is not used to absorbing high amounts of protein all at once from shakes and such it can give you the massive spray Sh|ts some thing fierce. Sorry about the graphic mental picture but it has happened to others as well... just saying :laugh: