Running with dogs

Options
13»

Replies

• easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

If she pulls, you ideally need to firstly train her to walk and jog by the side of you, a dog running at speed with you is more likely to pull you off your feet than at a slower pace, so for yours and everyone else's safety her knowing the commands is needed first.
    It may be she already knows the commands but the excitement of running with you just overwhelms her in which case using something that gives you full control of her in a kind none harsh way is an option. I use dogmatics, they are a headcollar which doesn't ride in to the eyes. I can walk, or jog four great danes total weight being nearly 300kg.
    Another thing to remember is if the dog is young jogging for a long period of time is not good for the joints. And just like us they need to build up their fitness and stamina.
    [/quote]

^^^^^^^ This!!!

I've been running with my 2 English Springer Spaniels (yes, both at the same time) since they were one year old. I feel so much safer with them and they ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! It really enforces the pack mentality too. That's another reason it's important for them to run next to you instead of in front of you, even if you take up a lot of room. I did do obedience training with both of them and continue to work really hard on training maintenance. I've tripped over them only twice in almost 4 years. They really learn to watch your cues and pay attention to your body language as you both learn to run together. I try to keep their distances up as to not lose ground in our training distances, but remember they have to work up to longer distances just like you. That means their pads as well as their cardio. Have fun!

You can see my two running buddies in my pics section. :love:
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    when I run my 10 year old dog gets happy and pulls on the leash with her teeth and jumps. She is one happy dog.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Ohmygosh, I couldn't imagine taking my dog on a bike. I think she would murder me haha. How in the world did you train them to do that?

It was actually pretty easy. Once he was good walking beside me without pulling, I got a retractable leash (one made for a dog his size) so he wouldn't pull me and the bike over (I really have terrible balance anyway). I started with walking him with the bike between us so he got used to the bike. Then I got on the bike and walked it without using the peddles. Then I rode the bike. That took me about an hour. The first time I shifted, he freaked out and tried to bolt (hence the retractable leash, btw) but I'm sure a normal, well adjusted dog will have less of a problem with that - he just hates noises.

I just repeated that over and over, each time actually riding and pedaling the bike a little longer and a little faster. It took me maybe two weeks to get him to trot beside the bike for a good 10 minutes, then we stopped for a rest and a dip in the local lake so he could cool off a little, then bike home. I got him good enough so he could run at full speed for a bit on a straight stretch of path, but mostly he just trotted at a comfortable speed happily wagging his tail with his tongue hanging out. He already loved running with my boyfriend on his roller blades, so it was really just getting him used to the machine of the bike.

I also taught him to run on a treadmill, too, incidentally, for the days when it was too hot or too cold or too rainy to be outside. It took me about a half hour (and probably half a bag of treats) to get him to walk, and about a month to teach him to stay on the treadmill and trot at a decent speed when I wasn't sitting on the floor beside him. I liked to do calisthenics while he ran on those crappy outside days, and he usually had a 15-20 min trot in the morning while I was making my breakfast and lunch for the day.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options

If she pulls, you ideally need to firstly train her to walk and jog by the side of you, a dog running at speed with you is more likely to pull you off your feet than at a slower pace, so for yours and everyone else's safety her knowing the commands is needed first.
    It may be she already knows the commands but the excitement of running with you just overwhelms her in which case using something that gives you full control of her in a kind none harsh way is an option. I use dogmatics, they are a headcollar which doesn't ride in to the eyes. I can walk, or jog four great danes total weight being nearly 300kg.
    Another thing to remember is if the dog is young jogging for a long period of time is not good for the joints. And just like us they need to build up their fitness and stamina.
    [/quote]

^^^^^^^ This!!!

I've been running with my 2 English Springer Spaniels (yes, both at the same time) since they were one year old. I feel so much safer with them and they ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! It really enforces the pack mentality too. That's another reason it's important for them to run next to you instead of in front of you, even if you take up a lot of room. I did do obedience training with both of them and continue to work really hard on training maintenance. I've tripped over them only twice in almost 4 years. They really learn to watch your cues and pay attention to your body language as you both learn to run together. I try to keep their distances up as to not lose ground in our training distances, but remember they have to work up to longer distances just like you. That means their pads as well as their cardio. Have fun!

You can see my two running buddies in my pics section. :love:
    [/quote]

Your springers remind me of my running buddy, who is a black and white cocker spaniel cross, I will have to post pics of her, she is a doll and loves to run with me... we usually do 3-5 miles
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    What is the reason for waiting until the dog is 1-2 years old?

Bones and joints are not fully developed.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i would love to run with mine but I guess you need to wait until they are 2 and fully grown? mines only 1 but he loves running, I hope to take him sometime :) I still worry about his hips.