Green Tea?

Options
Probably been a million threads about this in the past. I really don't like the taste of it, but have looked up the benefits and found there's actually some really reliable evidence to show that it helps reduce cholesterol, increase fat oxidation without an increase in heart rate (so metabolism I think) and some other cool stuff like reducing stress, and lowering your chances of getting various illnesses including rheumatoid arthritis.

Cool!

Is everyone going to come along and burst my bubble now with evidence against? At least that would mean I didn't have to drink it, it's pretty grim! But it's rude not to with benefits like that!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any evidence against drinking it like. ... its BAD, but I did see a study that only showed benefits when the tea-magic (whatever that specific compound people think does the magic is called) is combined with caffeine, as in they gave people a pill with just the extract, or just caffeine, or both, and both showed some change in metabolism but the other two were not significant.

I drink it because I like it, but I drink it over black tea because I figure what the hell, I may as well drink green as black just in case the magic is real. I don't really rely on it for anything or force myself, but I prefer it to plain water so no harm done.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    There is a compound in green tea called ECGC that increases fat metabolism. It is not necessary to drink the tea, you can just buy green tea extract at any vitamin retailer. Just make sure that there is ECGC listed on the label. The effective dose is about 300 mg a day.
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    After 6 years of dieting I think I got used to the taste. Sometimes I brew the favored ones and add honey.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it iced? I won't drink it hot but iced is better for some reason.
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    Cool thanks guys. I'll try it iced today with some lemon and see if that helps, otherwise just buys some caps of it.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    it's good for you! If you dont love the taste - and trust me youre not alone there- stash sells an awesome green chia tea. all the green tea benefits with the yummy spices of a creamy chia tea
  • sbduvall
    sbduvall Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have started drinking it as well. If I make Jasmine green tea or STASH morrocan mint I can drink it iced without any honey or sugar or anything. It is really not bad. I would try the mint for sure.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Personally I try to stay away with anything with caffeine in as much as possible, caffeine is bad for the heart and addictive, its a drug and not a good one.

If you feel you must drink green tea see if there is a decaf version.

You can get the positive effects elsewhere.

Green tea became popular via a fraudulent weight loss campaign in the 80's and then cool and hippyish!!!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I add lemon to it to help the taste.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Oops - Wyler's lite lemonade has only 5 calories per cup. the packages make two cups. Make a quart and you have 2 1/2 cal per cup.
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Lipton clear green lemon green tea :heart:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't know if green tea will help with weight loss, but there are very reliable studies showing that it does contain high levels of antioxidants that are healthful for you. The caffeine is pretty low, but if it bothers you then don't drink it.

I just simply love it.

I put some white tea in a cup, fill it with cold water and let it cold steep in the fridge over night. I wake up to a delicious cup of cold iced tea. Then after I drink that I steep the leaves in hot water (not too hot for green/white tea), and I drink that as well.

Another option is matcha, which is even better because it is a powder that includes the full leaf and you just eat the whole thing. You can blend it into a smoothie. I blend it with berries and it is sooo good that way!!! I also add lemon juice.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I think countless studies have shown that green tea is beneficial. Many people don't like it because they say it tastes bitter but there is an easy way to overcome the bitterness. Boil water and then let it cool down to about 70 degrees C (158F) and then pour that on the tea. Gives the tea a much more refined and subtle flavour.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love green tea! If you don't like the taste, try a flavored one. My personal favorite is bigelow green tea with mint. Put in the sweetener of your choice :)
  • sbduvall
    sbduvall Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love green tea! If you don't like the taste, try a flavored one. My personal favorite is bigelow green tea with mint. Put in the sweetener of your choice :)
    Good one. That is my second favorite next to the Stash mint! I think that the mint green teas taste sweet naturally!