food diary..

Options
could someone with a bit more health/weightloss/nutritional knowledge take a look at a few of my food diary entries and make some suggestions on what i need more/less of.. would appreciate it lots. i feel i need to make some changes and don't really know where to start. thanks!

Replies

• kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It is hard to be perfect or to make too many changes at the beginning. For most people, just sticking within your calories is challenging enough. Once they have calories down, then they add in the exercise. After that, try to up the water. I eased into my fitness frenzy over a six month period (but then I had a lot more to lose than you do). Being too hard on yourself can be frustrating and lead to giving up all together. Just make small changes and try to make them habits.

If you really want to up your food diary game, you might begin to track sodium and fiber in addition to what you are already tracking. The goal being to keep sodium well within or under limits and meet or exceed your daily fiber requirement. The sodium is especially difficult and will ultimately require you to eat more fresh and less processed foods.

The fiber is really healthy and will assist you with feeling full (along with protein and calcium).

Good luck. You are doing great!
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Eat more of everything.
  • emg9
    emg9 Posts: 112
    Options
    It is hard to be perfect or to make too many changes at the beginning. For most people, just sticking within your calories is challenging enough. Once they have calories down, then they add in the exercise. After that, try to up the water. I eased into my fitness frenzy over a six month period (but then I had a lot more to lose than you do). Being too hard on yourself can be frustrating and lead to giving up all together. Just make small changes and try to make them habits.

If you really want to up your food diary game, you might begin to track sodium and fiber in addition to what you are already tracking. The goal being to keep sodium well within or under limits and meet or exceed your daily fiber requirement. The sodium is especially difficult and will ultimately require you to eat more fresh and less processed foods.

The fiber is really healthy and will assist you with feeling full (along with protein and calcium).

Good luck. You are doing great!

thank you!!
  • chrisrollins1
    Options
    From the days I looked at (4 or 5), you are well within healthy ranges as far as your percentages of carbs/fat/protein, and seem to be making healthy, whole food choices. I see nothing wrong with what you're tracking, but I also don't know enough details about you to give any true and personal, educated advice. If anyone on here claims to be able to do so without knowing your current height, weight, est. bodyfat percentage, long and short term goals, current daily activity levels, length of diet and current activity level, rate of weight loss at current, why you feel like you need to "make changes", and certain other things, then they're full of it.

The primary question I want you to ask yourself, though, is are you happy and/or satisfied enough with your diet and food choices to be able to maintain it? If you're miserable and hungry all the time, then you're only setting yourself up for failure in the long run. If this is the case, then certainly some suggestions can be made to help you out. Otherwise, notwithstanding my statement above, my advice is to take a daily multivitamin and keep doing what you're doing.

Good luck!
  • emg9
    Options
    From the days I looked at (4 or 5), you are well within healthy ranges as far as your percentages of carbs/fat/protein, and seem to be making healthy, whole food choices. I see nothing wrong with what you're tracking, but I also don't know enough details about you to give any true and personal, educated advice. If anyone on here claims to be able to do so without knowing your current height, weight, est. bodyfat percentage, long and short term goals, current daily activity levels, length of diet and current activity level, rate of weight loss at current, why you feel like you need to "make changes", and certain other things, then they're full of it.

The primary question I want you to ask yourself, though, is are you happy and/or satisfied enough with your diet and food choices to be able to maintain it? If you're miserable and hungry all the time, then you're only setting yourself up for failure in the long run. If this is the case, then certainly some suggestions can be made to help you out. Otherwise, notwithstanding my statement above, my advice is to take a daily multivitamin and keep doing what you're doing.

Good luck!

thank you very much :) at first i really didnt think i'd be happy with cutting down my portion sizes etc but i'm getting on really well with it and feel fine :)
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi I was just having a look at your diary just wondering if you cook anything from scratch say make your own stirfry from fresh ingredients now maybe you dont have the time and Im not critisising you at all I think you are doing very well but it makes food very interesting have a look at allrecipes.co.uk they have loads of suggestions things you can put together in 20 minutes you might add a bit more fruit and veg to your diet and I find personally if I have a little protein with every meal its great and I have plenty of energy all said you are doing great,well done.
  • emg9
    Options
    Hi I was just having a look at your diary just wondering if you cook anything from scratch say make your own stirfry from fresh ingredients now maybe you dont have the time and Im not critisising you at all I think you are doing very well but it makes food very interesting have a look at allrecipes.co.uk they have loads of suggestions things you can put together in 20 minutes you might add a bit more fruit and veg to your diet and I find personally if I have a little protein with every meal its great and I have plenty of energy all said you are doing great,well done.

i'm living with my parents for a bit now so what i do is try to adapt the meals my mum makes so i can keep them low cal. before that i was doing most things from scratch. when i move back into my house in a few months i'll be cooking for myself again so i'll definitely check that website out and do some experimenting :) thank you!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    You should eat more. Look at the BMI calculator in the tools sections and make sure to eat at least that many calories every day. Think of your target as a target, not as a maximum. You want to get close to that number, and you don't get any extra brownie points for being further under.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

This was going to be my suggestion, you seem to eat well, but a lot of it is processed food. I would suggest maybe offering to do the cooking :). Before I went away to university I used to cook the majority of dinners for my family. It gave them a break and kept us all happy. There are some awesome recipes (especially for curries) that you only need a couple of spices for, and theyre quick, cheap and yummy :)