Birth Control

Options
I know different birth controls affect people differently, but I was wondering...

How long does the pill stay in your system when you stop taking it?

Edit: I stopped taking the pill a few weeks ago because of weight gain and difficulty to lose the weight...I feel like it's still more difficult to lose weight even though I stopped taking it.

Replies

• Atomic33
    Atomic33 Posts: 1
    Options
    The hormones leave your system very quickly, that's why you have to take the pill every day in order for it to be effective in preventing pregnancy. However, your body may take a month or two to return to its natural hormonal fluctuations.

What feels more difficult about losing weight right now? Do you feel hungrier, or is it something else? Has anything else changed, like your sleep, amount/type of exercise, or the amount/type of foods you're eating?

Make sure you're getting enough protein, veggies, healthy fats, and water to keep yourself feeling satisfied.
  • nphillips0124
    Options
    I may not be able to answer how long it takes for the homones to leave your system, but I can definitely personally attest to hbc being a giant inhibitor in my weight loss. I stopped taking mine about a month and a half ago due to other medical complications and I am definitely realizing why I was so thin before I started the prescription three years back- my appetite is literally half of what it is on birth control. In the past month I've lost 6 solid pounds without effort while before I had worked my butt off and only gained.

This might not be the case for everyone, but it definitely could be the problem for some. My doctor at the time (who I have since dumped, trust me) told me I was exaggerating my weight gain (of 30 lbs in 3 years) and that it could not possibly from birth control. If you have a hormonal imbalance (which I had known before hbc) you should definitely research into whether hbs is right for you, because it can affect you in a whole lot of ways, weight being one of them.

EDIT: I just want to add I definitely DON'T think that hbc is the 'magic button' for weight loss. It affects everyone VERY differently- some people have no side effects, some suffer from drastic physical and mental effects. Don't let someone tell you that you're exaggerating just because they don't go through the same thing. Always talk to your doctor about any reactions or problems you are having and before you make any sort of medical decision.
  • mistybkarma
    mistybkarma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had an iud for a few months, and gained 25 pounds very quickly. When I spoke to my doctor, she said I would need 3 normal periods before I could even expect weight loss after it was removed.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Not sure how long the hormones take to leave your system.. depending on when in the cycle I am, if I forget a pill it can be almost instant or take a few a days.

I also lost 30 pounds while using B/C and I had absolutely no issues what so ever. The only time I had problems was around when I went off my B/C and got my period.. other then that I was fine.
  • bmtedder
    bmtedder Posts: 11
    Options
    The hormones leave your system very quickly, that's why you have to take the pill every day in order for it to be effective in preventing pregnancy. However, your body may take a month or two to return to its natural hormonal fluctuations.

What feels more difficult about losing weight right now? Do you feel hungrier, or is it something else? Has anything else changed, like your sleep, amount/type of exercise, or the amount/type of foods you're eating?

Make sure you're getting enough protein, veggies, healthy fats, and water to keep yourself feeling satisfied.

Well, although I did go over my calories a few days (but not THAT much), I've been exercising a lot especially this past week. I actually gained 2 pounds, and I just feel bloated like I did when I was on the pill. Appetitie has changed somewhat...cravings aren't as bad as they were when I took the pill.

Maybe it's going to take a few months like Misty said before the weight will really start to come off.

In the meantime, I'll continue to eat healthy and exercise!