Water Consumption - Is it a lie?

A friend told me today that her doctor had said that we don't need 8 glasses of water a day. That we should drink about half of that and get the rest from our food. She further said that drinking too much water promotes weight gain and not weight loss. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I've always believed that water was good and provided hydration and a boosted metabolism. However, my scale has been stuck for several weeks and I do drink a lot of water.

I'd love to hear comments from nutritionists, trainers, and any of you who have heard that too much water is NOT good for you!

Replies

• lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Too much of anything is a bad thing, even water. I imagine what the physician was trying to say is that it's relatively simple to get the day's requirement of water from food as well as drink. My experience is the more water i drink, the faster i lose. I do not think your consumption of water is not curbing your weight loss.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    drink some water. don't go thirsty. don't let your pee get too yellow. don't overthink it.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    I'm all for the water, min. for me is 8 but i sure do try to get more in as i feel it flushes out some of the impurities in my system. also it makes my skin so much nicer:)
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    I think it depends A LOT on how much you sweat, exercise and even the weather. Water consumption is based on a lot more than a 'miracle number'. I drink a TON of water and it feels great, but it may not be the same for everyone. I think the doc may be right by saying a full 8 glasses isn't needed for everyone, but if you're sweating from playing a 2 hr game of soccer or racket ball in hot arid weather, more might be needed to make up for it.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    I feel so much more energized when I drink a lot of water not necessarily 8 glasses every day...but I try :laugh:
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    You are supposed to drink 8 ounces of water for every 15 pounds of weight you have I believe. I should have 12 glasses of water a day. If you have a lot of sodium, you should drink at least that, if not more to flush it out of your system. Yes, you can overdo it, but water promotes weight loss, helps keep you full, and flushes bad things out of your system. Also, drinking a lot of water can help keep your complexion clear.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    I drink a ton of water daily, my skin looks fantastic and it helps to keep me full so it really aids in my weight loss. But to each their own.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Come on now people...water 'flushes' impurities from your system? Really? I guess I will just cut out my liver and drink water instead. :indifferent:
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Come on now people...water 'flushes' impurities from your system? Really? I guess I will just cut out my liver and drink water instead. :indifferent:

Gotta have something to pee out!
  • BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    Your body is a wonderful thing. It lets you know when your dehydrated. You become thirsty . It's a miracle. The marketing people know we are fools. They don't tell us to just drink water it must be bottled water or a special sports drink ( loaded with sugar and salt). Listen to your body and watch your pee. That's all you need.

Ps My Granny Pinky is 95 and has never bought a bottle of water in her life. Lives on cups of Tea.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member

So clearly you don't understand how the renal system works... the kidneys NEED a certain amount of water (0.5L) to flush out in order to excrete metabolic waste. This is known as obligatory volume, or obligatory urine. Otherwise, those waste products will build up in the body.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Drink water as you are thirsty, the 8 cups a day line is a myth. That being said, I drink 20 cups of water a day when I am making weight loss progress, so it is all up to the individual.